Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We don't really know yet, but I'd say so. Sectional openings are very likely. For instance, parts of that new junction and the M8 - N25 east are easy enough to build compared to others, so I imagine they'll open earlier in some way. That'll get traffic off the roundabout which will make it all easier for the difficult loops and connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is likely some new elements will have to be opened to traffic to allow for transfer of traffic from existing parts of the interchange before they can be worked on. I can't comment on any specific part of the project but often they do certain parts early on because they need to be in place to facilitate later works.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,236 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not 100% sure but I think that's how they did the Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Parts will have to be opened piecemeal as the roundabout will have to be destroyed to build the interchange.

The phased opening and redirecting of traffic must be a logistical nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

We don't really know yet, but I'd say so. Sectional openings are very likely. For instance, parts of that new junction and the M8 - N25 east are easy enough to build compared to others, so I imagine they'll open earlier in some way. That'll get traffic off the roundabout which will make it all easier for the difficult loops and connections.

Yeah it would make sense for it to happen, just hadn't seen anything concrete regarding it. Work in Little Island, so it would be very handy to have it up and running to hopefully take traffic away from that flyover, especially if returning to offices happens later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Parts will have to be opened piecemeal as the roundabout will have to be destroyed to build the interchange.

The phased opening and redirecting of traffic must be a logistical nightmare.

Yes ,it will be interesting to see how the mange it

Assume we’re getting a gantry / cantilever on the M8 approach too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Assume we’re getting a gantry / cantilever on the M8 approach too?

Agreed, especially when that section of the M8 has the same speed limit as what the M40 will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Have the email updates stopped on this? Used to arrive every Friday but not had one in weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have the email updates stopped on this? Used to arrive every Friday but not had one in weeks?

No still getting them weekly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I drove across the link today and saw three signs in use. The Maryborough Hill sign was talking about roadworks, the Bloomfield eastbound one was talking about the same roadworks (and it had a nice little picture on the side of a construction worker) and the westbound one after the West Douglas Street onramp said "N40 J1 6 Mins"

A lot of progress starting to show on the scheme. Most notable are the columns for the new bridge which will take the M8 over both the train line and new slip road. Assume previous bridge will be demolished with the M8 carriageways being moved eastwards.

Construction of the new bridge would allow early opening of both M8 west to M8 North slip and M8 east to L2998 slip.

This week's newsletter just came in. Bury's Bridge off and on ramps losing from Monday. Looks like this to facilitate to the new Little Island interchange. Assume that this therefore may also be one of the earlier parts of the scheme which will be opening.

https://twitter.com/dunkettleint/status/1375432354756493317?s=20

This is the area where the new bridge into Little Island will be placed. Section at the end is the Bury’s bridge which is closing from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Am I reading it right that when this project is finished if you are travelling down the M8 and you want to go into the city centre, passing by silversprings, that you will first have to go east a bit, through a roundabout, over a bridge, another roundabout before you’re on the road to the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

jackrussel wrote: »
    Am I reading it right that when this project is finished if you are travelling down the M8 and you want to go into the city centre, passing by silversprings, that you will first have to go east a bit, through a roundabout, over a bridge, another roundabout before you’re on the road to the city centre?

Thats correct but as it will be free flow it will prob be quicker than the traffic signaled Dunkettle roundabout.

jackrussel wrote: »

Correct. It’s the only mainline movement which isn’t free flow.

Wonder if they'd mind if I lifted the disused gantry sign and took it to my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

a/tel wrote: »
    Thats correct but as it will be free flow it will prob be quicker than the traffic signaled Dunkettle roundabout.

But if a movement requires going through through two roundabouts, it’s not a free-flow movement by definition.

cantalach wrote: »
    But if a movement requires going through through two roundabouts, it’s not a free-flow movement by definition.

Maybe not free flowing but this movement will have priority over most other movements on both roundabouts. Only movements which would supersede it would be people going from Little Island or N25 West into Glounthaune which I suspect will be quite low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

cantalach wrote: »

What i meant well no traffic lights which is the situation at the interchange at present.

I would hazard a guess that the volume of traffic going through the tunnel is more than heading to the Lower Glanmire Road to the city.

Hopefully this means there should be no major bottleneck at the new roundabouts at the new Little Island bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

a/tel wrote: »
    What i meant well no traffic lights which is the situation at the interchange at present.

I would hazard a guess that the volume of traffic going through the tunnel is more than heading to the Lower Glanmire Road to the city.

Hopefully this means there should be no major bottleneck at the new roundabouts at the new Little Island bridge.

Yes, as Little Gus has pointed out, those roundabouts should be a clear run for traffic doing that movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Two speed traps on the MP side of the Tunnel Friday night I'd say plenty got caught as they were passing me like I was stopped!

TBH they need speed traps there as no-one obeys the 60kmh. And if you go 60kmh you'll be rear ended within a few hundred meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

TBH they need speed traps there as no-one obeys the 60kmh. And if you go 60kmh you'll be rear ended within a few hundred meters.

Well if they rear end me they will lose that battle!

Its the hassle of getting out of the car, going to the car that went in the back of you and beating the tar out of the driver who did it. Its a lot of effort and you end up with sore knuckles and then THEY can sue YOU.

In all seriousness, I find westbound the worst. Coming out of the tunnel no-one keeps to the 60kmh, they just fire straight back to 100 or 110kmh and doing 60kmh is really a bit terrifying.

I had the same problems when I was coming through the M7 roadworks back in the day, pottering along at 60kmh with buses and trucks overtaking you at 100kmh. Its terrifying. Good to know there is the odd speedtrap on the SRR though.

I’d prefer to avoid the accident in the first place.

This is one of the cases where the speed cameras are welcome. The speed differential of some people doing 60kph and others doing 110kph is lethal.

Confusion still reigns though. The idiots who put up signs managed to stick a 50kph sign in at random even though the temporary limit is 50kph. How difficult is it to get this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Truckermal wrote: »
    Two speed traps on the MP side of the Tunnel Friday night I'd say plenty got caught as they were passing me like I was stopped!

Good. I was there yesterday from Bloomfield to the Mahon off ramp and I felt so out of place going 60. There were tailbacks up to the pedestrian bridge for the tunnel and I was wondering what was going on, but I saw a sign for the camera on the on ramp then when I got to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

There a drone video on YouTube , I can't post it on here but anyone interested can check it out

• Advertisement

Great shots in the video. Big progress with the columns for the new bridge taking the M8 over the slip road and rail line now being finished.

Advertisement