Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

I hear the name and immediately imagine a gin addict from Foxrock.

I'm laughing at that!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Watched an Irish film the other day and the name 'dymphna' stands out for me here..
    Its almost defo spelt wrong top

Like if you started of saying ‘dynorod’ but at the same let out a big massive sneeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 foggiestyle

Heard the name Cooper the other day at playschool , thought someone had bought their dog in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I hear the name and immediately imagine a gin addict from Foxrock.

Chorles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Archie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ultan is a pretty ugly name. When I try to imagine what someone called Ultan would look like I immediately think of a radicalised middle class student with an unkempt beard, dreadlocks and a poncho that smells like sulfurous B.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Archie

Might as well have called him Biffo. Maybe thats why they’re having such brand issues with it now & want paid protection - out of another countries taxpayers salaries.

I’ve never been too fond of Ulrich or Ulricha. Too many vowels and howling noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Keith or Nigel.

I mean, who looks at a new born baby and thinks "Baby Keith" or "Baby Nigel".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Keith or Nigel.

Oh and Roger...Jesus Christ...Roger

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

In all honesty what do ye think of the name Fionnuala? I'm not preg and don't have a daughter called that but I really like the name, is it too old sounding for 2021?

Love Fionnuala. Think it’s beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Keith or Nigel.

Roger the cabin boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Keith or Nigel.

But if young Nigel says he's happy, he must be happy in his worllllld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I know these aren't as bad as some of the absolute monstrosities on this thread, but misplaced and superfluous fadas really bother me.

Just saw on someone's Facebook page siblings called Aóibh and Cáhir.

It's like they don't think the names are Irish enough unless there's a fada randomly thrown in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

I know these aren't as bad as some of the absolute monstrosities on this thread, but misplaced and superfluous fadas really bother me.

It's like they don't think the names are Irish enough unless there's a fada randomly thrown in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how you can possibly have a fada in Aóibh (presuming it's pronounced Eve). Doesn't make any sense.

I love Irish names but when people butcher them and give kids their own versions that don't make any sense it gets stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Carthach agus Carthach Og :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gas because there is no stand alone h in Irish anyway ! The h arrived as a substitute for a buailte ( dot ) on t ,c , m , d , b

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Gas because there is no stand alone h in Irish anyway ! The h arrived as a substitute for a buailte ( dot ) on t ,c , m , d , b

Not sure I get what you mean. Surely the issue is the completely misplaced fadas. We've been using h for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not sure I get what you mean. Surely the issue is the completely misplaced fadas. We've been using h for a long time now.

I was talking about the name Cáhir .Apart from the misplaced fada also It makes no sense as an Irish name with a fada and then a h . There is no stand alone h in the Irish language . It replaced a dot on letters to change the sound .You never see h is an Irish name without it following another consonant
    Like bean to bhean etc

Cathir maybe or but not Cahir .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I was talking about the name Cáhir .Apart from the misplaced fada also It makes no sense as an Irish name with a fada and then a h . There is no stand alone h in the Irish language . It replaced a dot on letters to change the sound .You never see h is an Irish name without it following another consonant
    Like bean to bhean etc

Cathir maybe or but not Cahir .

Aha, I get you now. That makes perfect sense.

Yes, it drives me mad when people take Irish names and just spell them in any way they want even though they totally change the sound and meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

cantdecide wrote: »
    ...because I think I can beat them all. I swear I considered strangling the poor little bugger to death for his own good. Sit down. Calmly take a deep breath and prepare yourself...

Isis.

Truly Scrumptious. And this wasn't a foreign child. She had a surname like Kelly or Walsh. Poor child. Was from one of the counties bordering Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Fandymo wrote: »
    Truly Scrumptious. And this wasn't a foreign child. She had a surname like Kelly or Walsh. Poor child. Was from one of the counties bordering Dublin.
    I have heard this name too, kind in the same location, I thought my friend was joking, I wonder if her parents updated her name since...

Feets wrote: »
    I have heard this name too, kind in the same location, I thought my friend was joking, I wonder if her parents updated her name since...

I saw it on a passport application about 18 years ago.

Feets wrote: »

Heard it too, same location. I think the child was born about a year before ISIS kicked off so it was awful timing. I'm assuming the name has since been changed.

Pericles Jasper.

I kid you not.

Poor lad goes by P.J.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Fandymo wrote: »

Chitty chitty bang bang character right?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Chitty chitty bang bang character right?

I believe so, someone in that office made that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Pegasus Ezekiel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Girl I know recently called her young fella Odin.

Fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Diultach. I have no idea what it means but one of my daughter's friends is so named.

Advertisement