Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

idc wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at energia feed in plan?

https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/grid

Seems you must have their battery to avail of feed in.

Yeah, they are doing it on their own, but the prices they are charging is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah, they are doing it on their own, but the prices they are charging is ridiculous

Yeah their prices are crazy. But someone on Irish PV Facebook group told me they are now offering feedin without there battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Has Anyone here got a smart meter installed and is on the day night tariff? It looks like the esb has to make changes to the meter that cannot be reversed. I have an elster 1140 meter that about 14 years old that they will probably change to the newer one. Is energia about the best price for night rate, as i have just purchased our first ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Has Anyone here got a smart meter installed and is on the day night tariff? It looks like the esb has to make changes to the meter that cannot be reversed. I have an elster 1140 meter that about 14 years old that they will probably change to the newer one. Is energia about the best price for night rate, as i have just purchased our first ev.

For night rate on smart meter check iberderola. I think their rate is about 9 cent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is energia about the best price for night rate, as i have just purchased our first ev.

At the minute this appears to be the best night rate pricing on the market, Energia 5.23c

https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    At the minute this appears to be the best night rate pricing on the market, Energia 5.23c

Does this mean you need to have a day/night meter instead of the smart meter. Why would smart meter night rates be so much more expensive.

slave1 wrote: »

It looks like the only option they are offering is for a day night meter. Surely a smart meter is capable, i wonder why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

niallers1 wrote: »
    For night rate on smart meter check iberderola. I think their rate is about 9 cent

I just switched to Energia, and their night rate on their 'EV Tarriff' is 5.4 cents including VAT, it seems to have actually gone up recently.

But I need to check that posting earlier today or yesterday about Energia only paying the FIT if you have Energia installed batteries - if that is the case I will dump them!

But I need to check that posting earlier today or yesterday about Energia only paying the FIT if you have Energia installed batteries - if that is the case I will dump them!

Energia appear to pay a Feed in tariff already if you have their battery system installed. Thats just from reading the website!

I'm still in contract to another company and not planning to switch till current contract completes otherwise i'd ask about that FIT and if there are options to get that without their battery (as thats what someone on facebook claimed is possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Energia cheapest was day rate 15.5, night rate 7.46 including vat .
    Feed in tariff plan
    0.074c inc vat export.
    16.86 day
    8.04 night inc vat.
    Ev plan:
    18.18 day 5.23night inc vat
    Checked these rates last week
    You need to be careful moving to that FIT plan, if you are using a lot of day rate, there are cheaper plans outlined above, your getting a FIT but are paying dearer unit rates, they give on one hand but take back on dearer unit rates!, nearly giving it away for free, suppose depends on your annual consumption.

Energia appear to pay a Feed in tariff already if you have their battery system installed. Thats just from reading the website!

I'm still in contract to another company and not planning to switch till current contract completes otherwise i'd ask about that FIT and if there are options to get that without their battery (as thats what someone on facebook claimed is possible)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

There was a full page article in the Sunday Times Money Section (Irish edition) today with the above title - by Eithne Dunne. It talks about the options being considered by the Department of the Environment, 5c per kWh along with the grant, or perhaps 10c per kWh 'and lose the grant'. I think that is similar to what has already been said on this forum. What is new to me at least in today's article is the statement that "the scheme will limit the proportion of electricity you can sell to 30 per cent of power generated. With the rest, it's a case of use it or lose it". If this is indeed correct it will raise the question of how - whoever it is that pays the micro-generator - will know how much power is generated by the solar array - the new smart meters will only measure imports and exports from the grid will they not?

Doesn't sound like it's going to be that attractive then, without having a battery storage system (and then if you have a battery surely it's cheaper to just charge it up overnight at the cheap rate?)

Ballylad wrote: »
    Feed in tariff plan
    0.074c inc vat export.
    16.86 day
    8.04 night inc vat.
    Ev plan:
    You need to be careful moving to that FIT plan, if you are using a lot of day rate, there are cheaper plans outlined above, your getting a FIT but are paying dearer unit rates, they give on one hand but take back on dearer unit rates!, nearly giving it away for free, suppose depends on your annual consumption.
    Does it require you to have their own battery or can you get that plan without it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

You can get it without their battery

Does it require you to have their own battery or can you get that plan without it ?

So is this the way it works? If you get a day night meter you wont get the fits, if you get a smart meter you wont get day night tariff yet, but will get fits. Do i wait untill june before i switch to a night tariff, so much for smart meters if they wont implement all the capability for every energy provider. Maybe i have this all wrong.

Ballylad wrote: »
    Feed in tariff plan
    0.074c inc vat export.
    16.86 day
    8.04 night inc vat.
    Ev plan:

Just got my Welcome Letter from Energia for the EV plan -

Nightsaver night price per kWh 0.0523 inc VAT - Fine - as quoted above, and probably the cheapest of all providers.

BUT - and I did not notice this on the Web application form, if this was there it was not very prominent -

Nightsaver night price per kWh over 2000kWh bi-monthly 0.0982,

So that is how they hope to restrict night useage to people charging cars. Ok for me I suppose, I have a 40kWh Nissan Leaf, so 50 full charges in 60 days, that is less than I have used or will need, so plenty left over for my heat pump, washing machine on timer switch etc. But (and I live in Cavan), if I commuted with my EV to Dublin every day (which some people do), I might exceed that limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

niallers1 wrote: »
    They told me that yesterday(about delay due to covid) by email and I got a call from an engineer this afternoon telling me they were doing a job nearby and can do mine.

It's fitted now.

Can I ask roughly what area you live in? I am in Kildare.

Nightsaver night price per kWh 0.0523 inc VAT - Fine - as quoted above, and probably the cheapest of all providers.

BUT - and I did not notice this on the Web application form, if this was there it was not very prominent -

So that is how they hope to restrict night useage to people charging cars. Ok for me I suppose, I have a 40kWh Nissan Leaf, so 50 full charges in 60 days, that is less than I have used or will need, so plenty left over for my heat pump, washing machine on timer switch etc. But (and I live in Cavan), if I commuted with my EV to Dublin every day (which some people do), I might exceed that limit.

Is there an EV plan with smart meter. What's so special about a day/night meter that a smart meter can't do?

They have that standard usage on all their dual rate bundles, you just need to keep an eye on it, std A rate diswasher/washing machine is 2.2kW.
    Don't forget you will lose around 8% of EV charging via heat/transmission losses so to put say 30kW into your Leaf will require 32.4kW from the house, this will add up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Did they up the price or did you not get the full discount? I switched to that plan as soon as it became available a few months ago and I pay 4.78c / kWh incl VAT

BTW that limit of 12MWh/year on night rate is fairly hefty. Say you use 10MWh for that for your car, after losses 9MWh goes into your car, with an average of say 18kWh / 100km that means a yearly mileage of 50k km

If you are a huge mileage driver doing more than that or if you have two EVs, both doing significantly more mileage than the national average, it could be an issue alright

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    Did they up the price or did you not get the full discount? I switched to that plan as soon as it became available a few months ago and I pay 4.78c / kWh incl VAT

BTW that limit of 12MWh/year on night rate is fairly hefty. Say you use 10MWh for that for your car, after losses 9MWh goes into your car, with an average of say 18kWh / 100km that means a yearly mileage of 50k km

If you are a huge mileage driver doing more than that or if you have two EVs, both doing significantly more mileage than the national average, it could be an issue alright

They put thier prices up in april, across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats standard for them and its on the website in the small print but easy to miss.
    However, you only pay that higher rate on the units above the 2000 so it doesnt really equate to much overall.
    I go over the 2000 a few months of the year.... when you work it out its tiny money, unless you are far exceeding the limit.

Yes, they increased the price maybe a week or 10 days ago. I saw the 4.78 c rate (inc VAT) as well, and was tempted, but wanted to wait until my current contract expired to avoid the penalty. Then I checked again and saw they had increased the price to 5.23 cents. My present supplier tried to persuade me to stay (but could not offer even close), then tried to persuade me to stay at least until the end of the contract in a weeks time to avoid the penalty. But given that increase from 4.78 to 5.23, I wanted to sign up straight away before they increase it to 7 or 8 cents again!!. Then I get a letter from Energia saying it may be two weeks before they actually switch me anyway. These guys are really playing games.

On night use, take your point, and I am certainly not driving that much!! - But I do have a heat pump for radiators and hot water, and have that nicely tuned to run mainly at night, so that will take a share, and I have been pretty good with timer switches on washing machine, drier, dishwasher etc, so I really do not care much what Energia's Day rate is - I am not counting on using many kWh on that!

Their prices went up 8.9%

You have to get the esb to reconfigure day night boost feature on your smart meter in which cannot be reversed.

You have to get the esb to reconfigure day night boost feature on your smart meter in which cannot be reversed.

That doesn't make any sense, surely the whole point of smart meters is they can be configured remotely in any way to support what ever plans your provider is offering. What if i switch to a different provider who doesn't offer the same plan?

Or are the plans going to be the same for every provider just different prices so their only so smart as to what plans ESB decide ?

Home Electric+ Night Boost
    Full Pricing Information
    Electricity prices per unit (cent per kWh) ex. VAT inc. VAT
    Standard Day unit price 19.52 c/kWh 22.16 c/kWh
    Effective Day unit price with 5.5% direct debit and online billing discount 1 18.45 c/kWh 20.94 c/kWh
    Standard Night unit price 10.05 c/kWh 11.41 c/kWh
    Effective Night unit price with 5.5% direct debit and online billing discount 1 9.50 c/kWh 10.78 c/kWh
    Standard Night Boost unit price 3 5.43 c/kWh 6.16 c/kWh
    Effective Night Boost unit price with 5.5% direct debit and online billing discount 1 5.13 c/kWh 5.82 c/kWh
    Electricity standing charges per year ex. VAT inc. VAT
    Standing charge 24 hour urban per year €207.17 €235.14
    Low usage standing charge urban per year 2 €234.91 €266.63
    Standing charge 24 hour rural per year €260.65 €295.83
    Low usage standing charge rural per year 2 €284.23 €322.60
    Electricity PSO levy per year ex. VAT inc. VAT
    Public Service Obligation levy per year €78.24 €88.80
    €150 welcome bonus is available when you sign up with Electric Ireland directly, online or over the phone.

5.5% discount is applied to electricity unit prices by combining 5% direct debit & 0.5% online billing discounts.

Prices valid as of 1st January 2021 and subject to change. Early termination fee of €50 per single fuel applies if you cancel during your 12-month contract.

If you are selecting a smart price plan for the first time, your meter will be reconfigured so that your supplier will receive a minimum of three meter reads (day/night/peak). This change cannot be reversed. The frequency of these reads will depend on the smart price plan that you have selected and/or any consent you may have given.
    If the signal from your meter is not sufficient to support the transfer of half-hourly data, we will contact you to discuss other suitable products.
    If you are selecting a smart price plan for the first time, the full range of Smart Services may not be available until up to 12 months after the date at which full half hourly consent was given.

1. We quote the unit rate inclusive of your discounts for information purposes only, however the unit rate displayed on your bill will be the unit rate before discounts. You will see your discount total as one line item at the end of your bill.

2. This alternative standing charge only applies if your average daily usage is less than 2 units per billing period.

3. Energy kWh unit rates will be charged under the following three time periods:
    Day kWh rate is applicable to usage between 08:00 - 23:00 everyday
    Night kWh rate is applicable to usage between 23:00 - 08:00 everyday (excluding Night Boost times)
    Night Boost kWh rate is applicable to usage between 02:00 - 04:00 everyday

This is from electric ireland

I am not sure if you can get the feed in tariff with the purpose built day night meter or even with the smart meter on day night rate.

If you are selecting a smart price plan for the first time, your meter will be reconfigured so that your supplier will receive a minimum of three meter reads (day/night/peak). This change cannot be reversed. The frequency of these reads will depend on the smart price plan that you have selected and/or any consent you may have given.

Ok thats fair enough so your supplier should get those 3 readings as a minimum. And a supplier could decide to have a plan where peak is part of night - thus effectively recreating current day/night rates.
    Additionally assuming you give supplier consent to get readings every 30 minutes they could create a super complex plan.

If you are selecting a smart price plan for the first time, the full range of Smart Services may not be available until up to 12 months after the date at which full half hourly consent was given.
    I don't get this. Anyone know why would it would take 12 months to get a smart plan???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How long did the welcome letter take? Been switched over a couple of weeks now but no sign of ours yet.

• Advertisement

The Welcome Letter came in the post just a couple of days after I signed up online, must have been sent out by Energia on the same day I did the online application or the day after. But the Welcome letter says very little, no account number or anything, but it does confirm the rates as per the website.

Advertisement