Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynecologist/doctor check up

• 10-05-2021 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello all,

I got a bump on my breast a couple of years ago, went to the GP and got referred to James' hospital where they told me my breasts tend to do bumps, it was nothing to worry about and with that they let me go.

I am a bit worried, cause I am not sure if it's bigger, it feels bigger but don't know if anything bad is happening in there. If that was not enough I have PCOS but I do not get any follow up. I am not sure if I should be pushing to the GP to get a referral again on the breast or just go to a gynecologist (or referred to it) and get a full check which I think it should be normal basis kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ladybird25 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I got a bump on my breast a couple of years ago, went to the GP and got referred to James' hospital where they told me my breasts tend to do bumps, it was nothing to worry about and with that they let me go.

I am a bit worried, cause I am not sure if it's bigger, it feels bigger but don't know if anything bad is happening in there. If that was not enough I have PCOS but I do not get any follow up. I am not sure if I should be pushing to the GP to get a referral again on the breast or just go to a gynecologist (or referred to it) and get a full check which I think it should be normal basis kind of thing.

First port if call, your gp. Let them examine your breasts and they will know if they need to err on the side of caution and refer you to James' or not. While you are there request that you a referred to a gynea for a review and assessment of your PCOS. Be very firm about this.

Best of luck. It's always such a worry when you find a bump. I always let my gp examine me and make the decision to refer or not. I'm not qualified to make that decision. I've been referred a few times now and there was never anything sinister. It's better to get things checked out, it's what the service us there for, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Thanks @Sardonicat, I have been referred previously by this very bump, but it just feels different now. I will be calling my GP and see what they think it's best.

Have you had issues to been referred before? Last time they did, it took months before I got the letter from the hospital.

Thanks @Sardonicat, I have been referred previously by this very bump, but it just feels different now. I will be calling my GP and see what they think it's best.

Have you had issues to been referred before? Last time they did, it took months before I got the letter from the hospital.
    It was the same bump each time, the second time took a a bit longer. I'm pretty sure there is a criteria for urgency that the gps follow and they will follow that. The fact it is the same bump may have him less concerned that it is urgent. And then there is the back log due to COVID. I know it's hard, but you'll have to trust your gp's judgement on this. And your own. Keep checking that lump and any changes, even if you're not sure, present to your gp. They can speed up the referral then if they feel it's required.

Good luck.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It was the same bump each time, the second time took a a bit longer. I'm pretty sure there is a criteria for urgency that the gps follow and they will follow that. The fact it is the same bump may have him less concerned that it is urgent. And then there is the back log due to COVID. I know it's hard, but you'll have to trust your gp's judgement on this. And your own. Keep checking that lump and any changes, even if you're not sure, present to your gp. They can speed up the referral then if they feel it's required.

Good luck.

Thanks Sardonicat!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

When you were referred to James did they do the 3 tests, physical exam, Mammogram and ultrasound?

If not they shouldn't have dismissed you, I'd definitely get a referral again if you feel the lump has changed. I'm not sure if this is "normal" for lumpy breasts

If your GP deems it urgent, they put it on the referral, mine was marked urgent and they rang me the next day to go a few days later, this was pre Covid but I'm still getting my annual mammogram on time, so they are working away

• Advertisement

Segotias wrote: »
    When you were referred to James did they do the 3 tests, physical exam, Mammogram and ultrasound?

If not they shouldn't have dismissed you, I'd definitely get a referral again if you feel the lump has changed. I'm not sure if this is "normal" for lumpy breasts

If your GP deems it urgent, they put it on the referral, mine was marked urgent and they rang me the next day to go a few days later, this was pre Covid but I'm still getting my annual mammogram on time, so they are working away

Hi, no, I had not idea about the three tests I was so scared at the time I took what I got. I had a physical exam and what I guess it was an ultrasound. The woman who did it called a doctor during it and he was the one to tell me it was normal.

It's definitely after getting bigger and it bothers me from ovulation to my period so whenever I get some ease of mind it just comes back.

I got an appointment with my GP on Friday, so hopefully I get the referral.

Thanks!

Hi, no, I had not idea about the three tests I was so scared at the time I took what I got. I had a physical exam and what I guess it was an ultrasound. The woman who did it called a doctor during it and he was the one to tell me it was normal.

It's definitely after getting bigger and it bothers me from ovulation to my period so whenever I get some ease of mind it just comes back.

I got an appointment with my GP on Friday, so hopefully I get the referral.

Thanks!

Mammograms arent a great first line diagnostic tool on younger women because their breast tissue is less dense, so if you were still in your 20s to early 30s at the time, that wouldn't be all that unusual. A physical exam given by an experienced practitioner and an ultrasound would give enough information to see if further investigations are necessary. Also, it can depend in where the lump is, if it's far up in the armpit the mammogram might not capture it. The second time I was referred with the same lump I was in my forties and was given a double mammogram and an ultrasound. The first time I was in my early thirties and just had the physical exam and ultra sound.

Hello,

So, I got a referral for an ultrasound, I can call the clinic myself instead of going to Dublin. Not sure if this is a COVID thing but well I called and seems to be some delays on referrals so waiting for a date now.

The GP told me it's normal, but he agreed it was better to keep an eye on it if I thought it was growing.

As for the PCOS, I got a bit weirded out because he just had a look at me and told me I didn't have a severe case of PCOS and therefore I better just forget I was diagnosed with it. I know I don't have an overweight issue but I really don't know if that is enough. I insisted and he asked for my periods, he told me if I get them regularly, just forget about it... So well, for now I'll forget about it and just focus on the bump.

Hello,

I still have not heard from the referral after this, I was wondering if anyone knows how long is it taking?

I was referred to St. James Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't know about referrals for this directly OP, but I do know that referrals in general are taking a very, very long time. I'm waiting on referrals, re-referrals and repeat appointments for almost everything I need and they're all taking months/years unless I pay for a private consultation. Even private, there was still a bit of a wait. Healthcare in Ireland is very ill-equipped at the best of times, but with Covid, it's a complete disaster.

• Advertisement

Hi, I'm just back from my referral and I am not sure if this would be useful for someone else so just leaving it for reference:

I have been referred to a second appointment for an ultrasound but I was told it was a cyclical cysts breast, so I was recommended sport bras and Primrose oil 1000mg/day for 3 months to help with the pain. This is something natural to my breasts that I will always have and I may have not noticed before as I was in hormonal contraceptive for quite some time.

I'm very happy that I went for the check, I was getting pretty uneasy about it as time was going by and even though I have another appointment to go to, it gave me some peace of mind.

Advertisement