Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 60,389 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

McGoohan & Falk worked so well together I also only learned recently that he directed quiet a few episodes of Columbo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Turns out Whoopi Goldberg was supposed to be in Deadwood. HBO said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Imagine her in a role what she tends bar and gives out advice. Would never work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Deadwood is one of those Prestige shows I have somehow failed to get around to watching. That and The Sopranos or The West Wing (should I be demodded for that alone? :pac: )

• Advertisement

Whoopi as one of Al's working girls would have been class.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pixelburp wrote: »
    Deadwood is one of those Prestige shows I have somehow failed to get around to watching. That and The Sopranos or The West Wing (should I be demodded for that alone? :pac: )

I loved the West Wing but it might seem a bit dated now.
    Watch Deadwood with subtitles!

Sopranos is still on my list too.
    Think I picked The Wire over it for boxset binge one soccer free summer.

The Claim is a good western movie in Deadwood style.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I planned on rewatching Deadwood before the film was released as I've forgotten nearly everything from it. Never happened, so still on the list along with the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

2 SNL cast members slam the decision for Elon Musk to host the show on May 8th
    https://tvline.com/2021/04/26/elon-musk-snl-host-controversy-bowen-yang/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

SNL is one of those shows I have never, ever "got". It seems to be a cherished institution of American TV but any time I watch a sketch, the material is just really weak. Generally weak comedians, constantly mugging at the camera, while monologuing (or just ramming into the ground) the most asinine, obvious jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've started watching Alias on Disney+ having never watched it before and I am so confused!! I was expecting something akin to 24 and instead I'm getting prophecies from Renaissance scientists :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,809 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Was a great show in it's prime but the Rambaldi stuff was nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting BBC Culture article on the trend for re-watching old series in troubled times.
    https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20210427-is-rewatching-old-tv-good-for-the-soul

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pixelburp wrote: »
    SNL is one of those shows I have never, ever "got". It seems to be a cherished institution of American TV but any time I watch a sketch, the material is just really weak. Generally weak comedians, constantly mugging at the camera, while monologuing (or just ramming into the ground) the most asinine, obvious jokes.

American comedy on a whole is pretty weak IMO. There is some good sketches on SNL but its surrounded by mediocrity.

An end of an era Jon Snow is to step down as Channel 4's news presenter at the end of the year after 32 years in the job.

An end of an era Jon Snow is to step down as Channel 4's news presenter at the end of the year after 32 years in the job.

In fairness, he knows nothing. Should never have been hosting a news show.

Seriously though, I hope he'll keep doing his "reports" on the big fat quiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I was today years old when I learned that Lucy Davis (Dawn in the UK Office, Hilda Spellman in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) is Jasper Carrot's daughter. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Jesus. 11 years at TBS?! Seems like only yesterday NBC shafted him. Big gain for HBO though.

Reading US Network TV shows like SEAL Team and Clarice and few others on the Bubble this year on CBS do get cancelled because of low rating may be saved and put on the Paramount + streaming platform due to the there International sales and the money that brings in.

I could see a lot of US Networks following suit if the shows are international hits more than US hits.

• Advertisement

Reading US Network TV shows like SEAL Team and Clarice and few others on the Bubble this year on CBS do get cancelled because of low rating may be saved and put on the Paramount + streaming platform due to the there International sales and the money that brings in.

I could see a lot of US Networks following suit if the shows are international hits more than US hits.
    Yeah there are plenty of shows that have bad ratings in the US but do much better abroad, especially the shows that end up on Netflix all in one go

SNL are going to live streaming tonight's show free worldwide on YouTube for the first time ever.

They must really be hoping Elon Musk will bring eyes to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Netflix have three another series that they call anime

Seis Manos
    Dragon Blood
    Transformers War for Cybertron

But nibs of these shows are made in Japan nor are they connected to anything Japanese.

How are they anime?

When is Paramount+ coming here?

Lily James & Sebastian Stan will be in a comedy/drama mini series about Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee and the events surrounding the release of their sex tape.

This is some transformation of Lily James

https://www.instagram.com/p/COlrzlHruMk/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=9E3C0832-2D99-4DBA-854C-F4AA52639B29

• Registered Users Posts: 43,809 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lily James looks the part.. Bucky not quite!

Basq wrote: »
    Lily James looks the part.. Bucky not quite!

If I had been shown the photo and asked who it was I would have said Pamela Anderson. There wouldn’t have been a doubt in my mind.

That looks nothing at all Lily James.

The best thing to come out of Elon Musk on SNL. :)

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1391733283092897792?s=20

The best thing to come out of Elon Musk on SNL. :)

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1391733283092897792?s=20

Or this

https://twitter.com/OpraZebb/status/1391473683533901832?s=19

Certainly not any of the sketches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement