Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Friends has been on telly non-stop since it ended over 15 years ago, and on more than one channel too.
    Seinfeld which is the better show by a country mile hasn't been repeated in decades.

Comedy Central should be just called The Friends Channel because it's all they ever show on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Why the "What's the etiquette here??" thread has 7500 posts.

7500 posts about poo. Mind boggling.

Deeply disturbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

riclad wrote: »
    Some games are best played with a mouse, eg rts games like starcraft strategy games sim City etc
    Most pc games work with an Xbox controller

I thought poster was implying that games should use sticks or clubs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why are young people- teenagers especially so reluctant to talk to people on the phone? It's all messaging and they only call someone as a last resort.

I find it better to email or message, usually someone's in a meeting, driving or halfway up a ladder and can't take a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

How does the mustard forum exist :confused:
    And why is it in Social & Fun rather than Food & Drink. What exactly is fun about mustard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Why are young people- teenagers especially so reluctant to talk to people on the phone? It's all messaging and they only call someone as a last resort.

I don't get why someone would want to talk when they could text!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Social Media
    Coffee
    Portugal
    Sun Holidays
    The obsessive need to mass import cultural nonsense from the US
    Sport
    Reality TV
    Soaps
    Subsctiption services for everything

Just curious but what do you mean when you dont " get " a complete country .:confused:

A van passed me the other day.

DOG'S ON BOARD.

Dog's what on board? What is belonging to a dog that is "on board?"

I wanted to follow this van, wait until it was parked up, and peel off this apostrophe.

But that's probably what the apostrophe's used the most for. Just used it twice myself in the last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭weshtawake

As the late, great Con Houlihan said anyone who would misplace an apostrophe is capable of anything!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Writing in capitals and bold. I don’t have a visual impairment.

• Advertisement

Capitalising words randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

On the topic of capitalisation/lack of capitalisation: Song titles in entirely upper or lower case letters. I get that it is supposed to be a style thing but.... why? Let your music do the talking! Seems to have gotten more prevalent in the last few years, particularly the entirely lower case songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Harley "effing" Davidsons.

The "effing" stands for fart.

Anything with a motor that makes more noise that it could potentially suppress is a reasonably assumed deficiency about the owner/operator.

Speedboats, snowmobiles, cars and trucks with unmufflers. Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Snoopy neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why so many people find it necessary to slap an apostrophe on every word ending with the letter “s”. A plural doesn’t need one. Please learn this.

Drink's.jpg

The sandwich one is correct! :pac: The letter 'e' is missing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Snoopy neighbours.

9990d3399a1da3bd3c8a5169108239d5.png

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Harley "effing" Davidsons.

The "effing" stands for fart.

Anything with a motor that makes more noise that it could potentially suppress is a reasonably assumed deficiency about the owner/operator.

Speedboats, snowmobiles, cars and trucks with unmufflers. Nuff said.

What’s the point of having a Harley of people can’t hear/see you have a Harley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Dav010 wrote: »
    What’s the point of having a Harley of people can’t hear/see you have a Harley?

Think the post said more about the poster than those they were attacking,

Right. What it says about the poster is that he clearly hates noisey show-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't get how people can watch stuff like Dr Pimple Popper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Duck facing and big lips on young wans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Snacking.

Adults using dog/cat face filters on photos.

People walking around with their noses in their phone. Just put it away til you get wherever you're going.

The Instagram aesthetic every woman under the age of 25 seems to think is attractive.

Selfies.

Mayonnaise.

Reality TV.

People who reverse into chevron parking spaces.

People who don't reverse into every other type of parking space.

Chewing gum.

Sean nós singing.

My dad's obsession with pausing the tv for hours on end instead of just recording stuff.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Snacking.

Adults using dog/cat face filters on photos.

People walking around with their noses in their phone. Just put it away til you get wherever you're going.

The Instagram aesthetic every woman under the age of 25 seems to think is attractive.

Selfies.

Mayonnaise.

Reality TV.

People who reverse into chevron parking spaces.

People who don't reverse into every other type of parking space.

Chewing gum.

Sean nós singing.

My dad's obsession with pausing the tv for hours on end instead of just recording stuff.
    Why would you want to reverse into every other type of parking space?

Why would you want to reverse into every other type of parking space?

Can never understand people reversing into spaces at the supermarket.

The hassle they have when trying to load the shopping after a car drives into the space behind them can’t be worth it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Mrs. Browne

Naw he’s right. We need to enforce silent motorbike engines.

Can never understand people reversing into spaces at the supermarket.

The hassle they have when trying to load the shopping after a car drives into the space behind them can’t be worth it.
    Not only that, but they're holding up the cars behind them while they carefully reverse into the space. Some people need several attempts to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I'm surprised that the soap itself lasted so long, looks like utter misery and populated by unlikeable chunts any time I looked at a few mins of it.

So true! Eastenders always looks gloomy whatever way they shoot it. Instant depression

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

How pawing a pert pair of milky baps with perfect ruby nipples does nothing for gay men

• Advertisement

Not only that, but they're holding up the cars behind them while they carefully reverse into the space. Some people need several attempts to do it.

That’s it. I get it when you’re at the office, bit of a “power play”, you know? But at the supermarket, or anywhere you’re going to be accessing the boot, it just seems unnecessary and counterintuitive.

That’s it. I get it when you’re at the office, bit of a “power play”, you know? But at the supermarket, or anywhere you’re going to be accessing the boot, it just seems unnecessary and counterintuitive.

Is the whole point to escape quickly? Imagine if there’s a zombie attack, who would get away in time? The reversed in car of course. Just has to speed out.

Is the whole point to escape quickly? Imagine if there’s a zombie attack, who would get away in time? The reversed in car of course. Just has to speed out.

At the office, sure it’s about getting out quickly but it’s, also, a bit of an “alpha” move. A little outdated these days but old habits die hard.

I’ve seen some of the, older, “top brass” shaking their heads and smirking when watching a dweeby young lad driving his Yaris, or whatever hatchback they’re driving, into a space. You get a few “knowing” looks and give back a nod whenever it happens.

Will probably be a thing of the past before too long but reversing into a “shopping space”, when there’s a space behind, never made sense to me.

Also fookers parking right up against you when there's a thousand other free spaces.

At the office, sure it’s about getting out quickly but it’s, also, a bit of an “alpha” move. A little outdated these days but old habits die hard.

I’ve seen some of the, older, “top brass” shaking their heads and smirking when watching a dweeby young lad driving his Yaris, or whatever hatchback they’re driving, into a space. You get a few “knowing” looks and give back a nod whenever it happens.

Will probably be a thing of the past before too long but reversing into a “shopping space”, when there’s a space behind, never made sense to me.

Alpha move lol.
    I reverse in so I don't have to reverse out blindly.

I don't get how people can watch stuff like Dr Pimple Popper.

Never heard of this and after a quick look, sorry I even looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Spacific

Why shop assistants feel the need to call you "pet" or "love"

Alpha move lol.
    I reverse in so I don't have to reverse out blindly.

You should fix the mirrors and your neck muscle.

It's hard to see out through the sides of a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

fvp4 wrote: »

or buy a reverse camera

or buy a reverse camera

Ah fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live on American telly. Is it that I don't get it or is it really that bad?

It seems really popular but I've watched loads of clips of it and I've never once cracked a smile. I've heard this cowbell sketch was meant to be the best one, but jeez... awful rubbish.

Any others

I've been watching SNL with the mrs the last few years now and it's very hit and miss. More miss often to be honest.

When it's a miss it can be because of the 'host' but it's usually the writing I found. Like they had Keenan Michael Key on last week and it was meh. But Keegan is a funny guy.
    On the flip side they had Eli Manning (NFL player) on once and he was funny and he's not an entertainer. The writing was good and he went for it.
    Then you had Elon Musk on a few weeks ago and it was horrible. Both how he came off and the writing. It really is hit or miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live on American telly. Is it that I don't get it or is it really that bad?

It seems really popular but I've watched loads of clips of it and I've never once cracked a smile. I've heard this cowbell sketch was meant to be the best one, but jeez... awful rubbish.

Any others

It's really that bad, like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell bad - I just don't get the appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Right. What it says about the poster is that he clearly hates noisey show-offs.

They want to oppress or suppress the sound of others,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

mariaalice wrote: »
    Consumerism of the type that makes Canada goose a thing, in fact, all label. I just don't get it they are clothes.

I thought Canada Goose was a drink!

xzanti wrote: »
    Mrs. Browne

I never told you I worked on the Quebecois version of it. Shhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I don’t get why a lot of Eurovision contestants sing in English. What’s wrong with their own language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I don’t get why a lot of Eurovision contestants sing in English. What’s wrong with their own language?

I think the reason is singing in English increases you chances of winning!

Kewreeuss wrote: »

Yes. Any language other that English now is folkloric to a lot of people.

In France, but particularly in Paris, the anglicization in commerce, advertizing, education, media is rife. The ones who despise this call it Globish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

When someone pays good money for a new car. They then drive around with the car dealer's advertising sticker on the back window, an advertisement on the number plate and in the case of Gowan Motors, a big plastic advert stuck on to the boot of your car, advertising Gowan. And they allow this because he was a nice man who sold me the car....

This times 10. First thing I do when I buy a car is take all that crap off. I once made it a condition of purchase. Lo and behold, it was all over the car when I went to collect it. Made him take it off before I parted with the cheque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Spacific wrote: »
    Why shop assistants feel the need to call you "pet" or "love"

If you're in Wexford, shop assistants are legally obliged to address you as "hun"

• Advertisement
Advertisement