Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Machir bay is great stuff.

Went through two bottles of it very quickly, and, like you, then had to get a sanaig.

It's not as "fresh" if that makes sense. Fruity, earthy, bold, but not as in your face as uigeadail.

Currently trying to save it for "special" occasions!

Really have to get machir bay again. Bought it in marks and Spencers of all places. Don't think it's there anymore

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got my delivery of two stacks Imperial Stout Coffee finish today, looking forward to cracking that one later.

https://ie.irishmalts.com/single-malt/two-stacks-smoke-mirrors-imperial-stout-coffee-finish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Tullamore DEW package arrived today. I don't remember ordering it (late night decision). Very impressed - 5 X 50ml samples, two glasses, really nice jug, soda water, a lemon and a t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Tullamore DEW package arrived today. I don't remember ordering it (late night decision). Very impressed - 5 X 50ml samples, two glasses, really nice jug, soda water, a lemon and a t-shirt.

That was a great bit of kit. Meant to order it myself but never got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Same here. Great value piece of kit. Not quite bushmills cocktail kit for a tenner but not far off. Only saw it because of this thread. Cheers to poster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lagavulin 9yo - "Game of Thrones House Lanister edition".

Am more of a Speyside fan usually v Islay, but this has just the right amount of peat for me.

got-lagavulin-9yo---house-lannister.jpg?v=1580726850

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lagavulin 9yo - "Game of Thrones House Lanister edition".

Am more of a Speyside fan usually v Islay, but this has just the right amount of peat for me.

got-lagavulin-9yo---house-lannister.jpg?v=1580726850

I had a bottle of that. It’s actually very good value at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That range is pure proof of the label effect for me.

Wouldn't touch anything with a GOT tie-in. Shows how much I know. :)

That range is pure proof of the label effect for me.

Wouldn't touch anything with a GOT tie-in. Shows how much I know. :)

I watched the first episode. Thought it was ****e. Never watched another.

Cazale wrote: »
    I watched the first episode. Thought it was ****e. Never watched another.

I tried... got to the dragon eggs and went "NOPE"!

Couldn't be putting up with that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I tried... got to the dragon eggs and went "NOPE"!

Couldn't be putting up with that nonsense.

The dragon eggs were one of the least far fetched things in it!

So it was best I stopped there eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Cracked open my Pike Creek (Canadian) 10 year old rum finished whiskey. Very nice. Rum and Brandy to start but not overly sweet and a bit of spice to balance it.

And ironically some people who do like fantasy thought the show was too bloody / grim!

I liked it, bar the ending, I guess.

The Lagavulin is good value as these days almost any Lagavulin offerings with their name to it will be more than what it is in this line. Also, having had it, it’s a genuinely good Lagavulin, not something they might have been trying to offload.

Most of the other whiskies in the line are more pedestrian I think, don’t remember being wowed.

And ironically some people who do like fantasy thought the show was too bloody / grim!
    I liked it, bar the ending, I guess.
    The Lagavulin is good value as these days almost any Lagavulin offerings with their name to it will be more than what it is in this line. Also, having had it, it’s a genuinely good Lagavulin, not something they might have been trying to offload.
    Most of the other whiskies in the line are more pedestrian I think, don’t remember being wowed.

I got the sampler set from 57 bar... will let ye know how I get on with it. Most of the full size bottles did look overpriced v the classic expression from the distillery. But samples of the distillery output would have worked out more expensive at ROI prices.

As for those of ye who arent fans of the series well stick to the whisk(e)y for showing off your expertise as ye know nothing about TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There's a standard Redbreast PX edition being released and it's 46%!!!

https://www.whiskynotes.be/2021/whisky-news/compass-box-canvas-redbreast-px-edition-benromach-40/

Ssns07U.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Always a winner

nikka.jpg

Lottery win from last year. Brexit made it complicated to lay hands on.

William Larue Weller 62.85% ABV

Might save for Christmas or some other special occasion.

Belfast Whiskey Week have put some passes up for sale for this years festival. Costly enough when you don't know what you are getting. They have a video on Facebook explaining it. Bit convoluted and confusing to be honest. I think they are getting a bit carried away with themselves.

https://bww.thewhiskeyhub.com/

Lottery win from last year. Brexit made it complicated to lay hands on.

William Larue Weller 62.85% ABV

Very nice! Have you tried it before?

• Advertisement

Very nice! Have you tried it before?

No, I don't think I would have ever expected to get one of these due to the demand for them. The Antique Collection releases go very quickly, and it's a bit of a fluke that the missus won a lottery on MoM to get this one.

No, I don't think I would have ever expected to get one of these due to the demand for them. The Antique Collection releases go very quickly, and it's a bit of a fluke that the missus won a lottery on MoM to get this one.

Its a great one to get hold of. Some prices in the secondary market. Celtic Whiskey did a antique collection tasting last year and it was one of the only tastings I really wanted that I missed out on. There was a William Larue Weller sample at it. One to savor!

Belfast Whiskey Week have put some passes up for sale for this years festival. Costly enough when you don't know what you are getting. They have a video on Facebook explaining it. Bit convoluted and confusing to be honest. I think they are getting a bit carried away with themselves.
    https://bww.thewhiskeyhub.com/

Yeah I bought a couple of the tasting packs last year but this has me confused... no idea what your money gets you - actual whiskey or just option to buy some. Is it virtual.or not? Some of the packages include Belfast accomodation.

Next up in the Game of Thrones series it is the Dalwhinnie "Winter's Frost" Highland single malt, representing House Stark.
    "From Scotland's Highest and coldest distillery comes a wonderful Scotch Whisky distilled in harsh winter and it has a rugged character that represents House Stark."

Not so much "winter is coming" rather summer seems a long way off on these damp May evenings and this is a warming dram.

It's a very nice whisky, with honeyed sweetness and spicy warmth. 43% and no age statement.
    A present of a full bottle of this would be most welcome, but seems rather overpriced at approx €65 - lacking the heft \ complexity \ wow factor I'd be looking for in a whisky at that price.

game-of-thrones-house-stark-dalwhinnie-winters-frost-.jpg

Next up in the Game of Thrones series it is the Dalwhinnie "Winter's Frost" Highland single malt, representing House Stark.
    "From Scotland's Highest and coldest distillery comes a wonderful Scotch Whisky distilled in harsh winter and it has a rugged character that represents House Stark."

Not so much "winter is coming" rather summer seems a long way off on these damp May evenings and this is a warming dram.

It's a very nice whisky, with honeyed sweetness and spicy warmth. 43% and no age statement.
    A present of a full bottle of this would be most welcome, but seems rather overpriced at approx €65 - lacking the heft \ complexity \ wow factor I'd be looking for in a whisky at that price.

game-of-thrones-house-stark-dalwhinnie-winters-frost-.jpg

I was never clear, is this actually just Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold? In which case, yeah, overpriced when sold in the GoT edition.

The ABV is the same. If it’s a different NAS from Dalwhinnie would be interested to know.

I like Winter’s Gold BTW. A decent Tesco NI buy... Just not to be put in the freezer...

I was never clear, is this actually just Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold? In which case, yeah, overpriced when sold in the GoT edition.
    The ABV is the same. If it’s a different NAS from Dalwhinnie would be interested to know.
    I like Winter’s Gold BTW. A decent Tesco NI buy... Just not to be put in the freezer...

I was thinking that too, but there's some reviews here comparing the two and Winter's Frost seems to be compared to Distiller's Edition more?
    It's my first Dalwhinnie - that was one of the appeals of buying the set - so not in a position to compare myself.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/124502/dalwhinnie-winters-frost-house-stark

Bob Dylan is 80 tomorrow so I had some 80 year old Irish whiskey to celebrate.

This is a 35ml sample of a Powers 30 year old that was distilled in the long closed Johns Lane Distillery in Dublin. Distilled in the late 1930s or early 1940s and bottled in the early 1970s which makes this sample approximately 80 year old and the oldest whiskey I have tried. This particular independent bottling was made specially for Donald E Panoz who was an American businessman who had moved to Dublin in the late sixties.

The combination of the age statement, when it was produced and the fact that it was made in the old John's Lane distillery make this an incredibly rare bottle of Powers Whiskey. It also makes this a whiskey that is normally impossible to buy and even more impossible to taste. Both Celtic Whiskey and James Fox have had a bottle for sale in the past for the princely sum of €5,000.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Powers-30-Year-Old-Pot-Still-Whiskey

I couldn't find any reviews of this whiskey online. Nothing on YouTube, whiskybase or anywhere else. It is therefore a privilege to be trying this tonight as I suspect not many have tried it before. This is a throwback to the old Dublin potstill tradition that was sadly lost when distilleries like John's Lane and Bow street closed in the 1970s.

On the nose there are apricots, thick oily shoe polish, old leather shoes, sultannas. There is the faint memory of woodworking class in school.

On the palette there is orchard fruits, leather, pepper spice. Full of character the alcohol is to the fore with the wood in the background.

The abv is 43% and the mashbill was 40-50% malted barley, 15-20% oats with the rest made up of unmalted barley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I got the sampler set from 57 bar... will let ye know how I get on with it. Most of the full size bottles did look overpriced v the classic expression from the distillery. But samples of the distillery output would have worked out more expensive at ROI prices.

As for those of ye who arent fans of the series well stick to the whisk(e)y for showing off your expertise as ye know nothing about TV :)

Only catching up with the thread now but whaaatt?

There are people on here with great taste who don't like Game of Thrones?
    Ye know who ye are..
    I hope the White Walkers get ye on the way home from the pub some night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Ye know who ye are..

I dunno, I hear "Proper 12" is changing its name to "Season 8"
    :)

• Advertisement

Ye know who ye are..

Is this some sort of Harry Potter thing?

Advertisement