Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belarus force down Ryanair plane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why didn't the pilot just tell them to feck off and say that he/she was landing in Lithuania as per their job* ?

*Not a real opinion, I know nothing about aircraft or the procedures in these sorts of circumstances, but it's likely the type of reply you will get around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

State sponsored terrorism using a bomb scare to apprehend someone...

He is most likely going to 'disappear'.

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Michael O Leary is saying there were also Russian intelligence agents on the flight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't trust O'Leary to tell me the time to be honest.How on earth would he possibly know that?

To the OP, what realistic options are there? Feels like a dangerous precedent if allowed to go unanswered, or unpunished. But then given the EU isn't a conventionally aggressive entity I'm not sure what could be done either. Bar the obvious like sanctions.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wouldn't trust O'Leary to tell me the time to be honest.How on earth would he possibly know that?

To the OP, what realistic options are there? Feels like a dangerous precedent if allowed to go unanswered, or unpunished. But then given the EU isn't a conventionally aggressive entity I'm not sure what could be done either. Bar the obvious like sanctions.

Coveney just made the same claim on Newstalk, apparently 3-4 other individuals just up and left the flight in Minsk

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Michael O Leary is saying there were also Russian intelligence agents on the flight

Completely unrelated. They are plane enthusiasts who always wanted to see the inside of a 737-800.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aegir wrote: »
    Completely unrelated. They are plane enthusiasts who always wanted to see the inside of a 737-800.

:)

The language used by both Coveney and MOL this monring ("State sponsored hijacking/State sponsored piracy") suggests some behind the scenes communication and an agreed response.

EU have to be strong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Ryanair's Michael O'Leary was totally against a small passenger surcharge towards an Irish Air Corps, defence patrol for aviation security. Probably worried about vast profit margins.

Then he squeals when one of his planes gets diverted by the Belarus Air Force, what a hypocrite. Demanding EU action from nations who actually properly fund their military forces!

This is the same Ryanair company that O'Leary is more than happy to take billions from the nation to ensure his survival during the current Covid19 crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Reports of 3 or 4 russian nationals on the plane some now not accounted for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ryanair's Michael O'Leary was totally against a small passenger surcharge towards an Irish Air Corps, defence patrol for aviation security. Probably worried about vast profit margins.

Then he squeals when one of his planes gets diverted by the Belarus Air Force, what a hypocrite. Demanding EU action from nations who actually properly fund their military forces!

This is the same Ryanair company that O'Leary is more than happy to take billions from the nation to ensure it's survivial during the current Covid19 crisis.

Regardless what people think of O Leary or RyanAir he is not the one at fault here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Bar the obvious like sanctions.

Sanctions will do damn all since the country beds with Russia, and the EU won't do much to Russia due to Gas pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The outrage over this seems to be greater than when Israel bombed palestinian children to death......no mention of tough sanctions against Israel....Just fake outrage really...

I wonder why that is....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

VinLieger wrote: »

Belarus is not Russia. And they can’t have been very good if they were supposedly identifiable as intelligence agents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

View wrote: »
    Belarus is not Russia. And they can’t have been very good if they were supposedly identifiable as intelligence agents.

They were Belarus KGB or the State Security Committee of the Republic of Belarus or more correctly the KPD. The men involved in capturing this dissident are likely to be members of Belarusian Alpha Group an elite special forces unit controlled by the KPD.
    The snatch team posed as fellow passengers on the plane. They presumably were tracking their target for quite sometime and followed him to Athens. If there was a support team they likely left Greece by another route.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The outrage over this seems to be greater than when Israel bombed palestinian children to death......no mention of tough sanctions against Israel....Just fake outrage really...

I wonder why that is....

There is though but the US keeps blocking anything and veto at the security council too.

They were Belarus KGB or the State Security Committee of the Republic of Belarus or more correctly the KPD. The men involved in capturing this dissident are likely to be members of Belarusian Alpha Group an elite special forces unit controlled by the KPD.
    The snatch team posed as fellow passengers on the plane. They presumably were tracking their target for quite sometime and followed him to Athens. If there was a support team they likely left Greece by another route.

That doesn’t alter my point about them being from Belarus, not Russia. People seem to be struggling with the idea they are two different countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

That doesn’t alter my point about them being from Belarus, not Russia. People seem to be struggling with the idea they are two different countries.

Belarus is a different country but closely allied with Putin. The Belarussian political military security and social elite identify closely with Russia. So the confusion is forgiveable

Well firstly Coveney is the one saying they were Russian and people are repeating what the person who should know has said. Do you know of a reputable source that says otherwise?

Secondly yes they may Have been members of the Belarusian KGB but thanks to pop culture when people hear KGB they think Russia so its an understandable mistake to make for the average person.

Thirdly as someone else pointed out Russian and Belarusian interests right now are very closely aligned so it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that they were actually Russian agents assisting Belarus as Russia undoubtedly has a far greater reach outside its own borders than Belarus does.

But continue with your high and mighty pedantry if you wish even though as it stands our Minister for Foreign Affairs has specifically called them Russian.

Belarus is a different country but closely allied with Putin. The Belarussian political military security and social elite identify closely with Russia. So the confusion is forgiveable

It may be understandable but it is one that we shouldn’t make. The fact that we are closely linked to the U.K. in many respects (eg the CTA) doesn’t (or shouldn’t) mean that Ireland is the “U.K. West”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Regardless what people think of O Leary or RyanAir he is not the one at fault here.

I'm not suggesting he or Ryanair is at fault regarding the hijack, just pointing out his hypocritical views on Defence matters over the years going right back to 9/11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It may be understandable but it is one that we shouldn’t make. The fact that we are closely linked to the U.K. in many respects (eg the CTA) doesn’t (or shouldn’t) mean that Ireland is the “U.K. West”.
    This has nothing to do with the perceived closeness of Belarus and Russia. The four people who were reported to have left the plane in Minsk were reported to have been Russian nationals. That information would presumably have come from the passenger manifest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

Why didn't the pilot just tell them to feck off and say that he/she was landing in Lithuania as per their job* ?

*Not a real opinion, I know nothing about aircraft or the procedures in these sorts of circumstances, but it's likely the type of reply you will get around here.

fighter jet threatening to turn them into small pieces of flying flaming wreckage may have had something to do with it

also as a pilot would you really not obey authorities who are telling you of a bomb threat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This morning, it seems like there's a bad smell emanating from Belarus

E2JMlwgWYAMF83W?format=jpg&name=large

But Ryanair pilots have been issued with nose plugs apparently

E2JUCWEX0AEywzH?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Reports are that four 'Russians' and the Belarus journalist Roman Protasevich plus his companion were not on the flight leaving Minsk to resume the flight to Vilnius.

Now the missing passengers would be on the manifest, which would include their names and the passport details - because Ryanair check the booked name against the passport. Now the name may be fake, and the passport may be fake, but it might be a genuine fake - issued by the official issuing authority - like that used by the KGB.

If anyone knows if the were travelling as Russian or Belarus or any other nationality - it is Ryanair. So ask Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ryanair's Michael O'Leary was totally against a small passenger surcharge towards an Irish Air Corps, defence patrol for aviation security.

A PC-9 can't keep up with a 737. Also a PC9 can't defend other aircraft. It's a light ground attack aircraft, not a fighter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A PC-9 can't keep up with a 737. Also a PC9 can't defend other aircraft. It's a light ground attack aircraft, not a fighter.

Remember, civil aviation is not safe over that part of the world - Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17) was a scheduled passenger flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur that was shot down on 17 July 2014 - all lives lost. A Russian missile was responsible - fired by Ukraine dissidents.

I think the EU should ban EU flights from overflying Belarus, and ban Belarus flights - period. That would be for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

and take the chance that the plane won't explode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭political analyst

Does the UK have a passenger surcharge towards the RAF?! :rolleyes: Our air corps would be useless if a hijacking took place in Irish airspace - surcharge or no surcharge!
    This is the same Ryanair company that O'Leary is more than happy to take billions from the nation to ensure his survival during the current Covid19 crisis.

Many other Irish businesses have also been financially supported by the State during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I think the EU should ban EU flights from overflying Belarus, and ban Belarus flights - period. That would be for starters.

Banning the overflight of Belarus is a good idea. Most airlines will do that now anyway. No-one wants to be shot down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The Belarusian air force sent up a Mig-29 to keep them company which would have focussed the pilots thinking you would imagine.

Advertisement