Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

• 24-05-2021 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Konate to Liverpool looks like it is about to happen.

Pep pretty much said Aguero is joining Barca in his interviews yesterday.

Hazard wants out of Madrid and wants to return to Chelsea being reported today.

Reports tonight that the Man U players are lobbying for Grealish over Sancho to Ole.

However who will sign Kane will be the big one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wolves in talks with Benfica manager Bruno Lage to replace Nuno.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1396909169047965703?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Konate to Liverpool looks like it is about to happen.

Pep pretty much said Aguero is joining Barca in his interviews yesterday.

Hazard wants out of Madrid and wants to return to Chelsea being reported today.

Reports tonight that the Man U players are lobbying for Grealish over Sancho to Ole.

However who will sign Kane will be the big one.

An Mbappe move is the BIG move this summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

NIMAN wrote: »
    An Mbappe move is the BIG move this summer.

I really can't see Mbappe moving this summer. If people cannot afford more than 100m for Kane with the impact the pandemic has had on finances then there is no way anyone will be able to afford what PSG would demand for the Younger Mbappe.

If things are back to normal next year and maybe he has a year less on his contract then you might see both him and Haaland up for grabs while now it seems like Kane is probably the biggest striker looking for a big move this summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, Mbappe isn't going anywhere this year. No one can afford the £200 million he'd cost.

Kane will probably go, assuming City get near to Levy's price tag, but the other big problem for Spurs is if Kane goes, Son won't extend his contract. And if Son doesn't extend his contract, Levy will sell him this summer to avoid another Eriksen situation. So Spurs potentially lose their best two players, with Bale also looking like he's heading back to sit on the bench in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

I really can't see Mbappe moving this summer. If people cannot afford more than 100m for Kane with the impact the pandemic has had on finances then there is no way anyone will be able to afford what PSG would demand for the Younger Mbappe.

If things are back to normal next year and maybe he has a year less on his contract then you might see both him and Haaland up for grabs while now it seems like Kane is probably the biggest striker looking for a big move this summer.

Isn't he in the last year of his contract or has he signed an extension?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

adaminho wrote: »
    Isn't he in the last year of his contract or has he signed an extension?

Yeah Mbappe's contract expires in 2022, so this is the last year of his contract.

I'm not sure if it's a result of the new Chinese CCP ruling with foreign investment, but it sounds like there may be a firesale at Wolves, in order to fund the rebuild there. Liverpool still owe the majority of the Jota fee to Wolves also, which may aid their rebuild under the new manager.

The Athletic are reporting that Neves is available for £35m, with Rui Patricio & Traore also potentially for sale. I'm sure some clubs will be taking a look at Neto too.

It will be interesting to see will any team play the reported 1 million a week Raiola wants for Haaland.

I just can't see the Mbappe & Haaland transfers happening this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ronaldo back to Man U is a headline I've seen in a few places this week. Anybody think there's anything to it? It seems pretty far-fetched but could an attempt to replicate the success of the Zlatan and Cavani deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ronaldo back to Man U is a headline I've seen in a few places this week. Anybody think there's anything to it? It seems pretty far-fetched but could an attempt to replicate the success of the Zlatan and Cavani deals.

Is that not a headline every summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With Cavani signed I can't see United in for Ronaldo.
    He would have been a good shout if Cavani was leaving, in so far as he would have been cheap in terms of transfer fee, allowing United to concentrate transfer funds elsewhere (RW, DM) while bringing in a striker to tide them over for another season.

Neither Ronaldo or Cavani are long terms solutions to a problem United and Ole created when getting rid of Lukaku (and Sanchez) in the same summer and bringing in no replacements for them. But United can't afford the long term solution to the striker problem when there are other bigger problems that need to be solved (RW and DM)

Barca signing Gini, Aguero, Garcia & Depay all on frees by the looks of it,

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1397147752098942977?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Good business if true, wonder how much wIll be spent on wages.

Gattuso leaves Napoli to become the new manger of Fiorentina.

https://twitter.com/ACFFiorentinaEN/status/1397203999900721158?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, Mbappe isn't going anywhere this year. No one can afford the £200 million he'd cost.

I just can't see the Mbappe & Haaland transfers happening this summer.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Kylian-mbappe-monaco-rejoint-officiellement-le-psg-en-pret-avec-option/829364

His contract is up in 2022. So either he signs a new deal and doesnt move for a few years or he goes this summer.

event wrote: »
    https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Kylian-mbappe-monaco-rejoint-officiellement-le-psg-en-pret-avec-option/829364

His contract is up in 2022. So either he signs a new deal and doesnt move for a few years or he goes this summer.

Why?

His best bet is see out his contract and leave on a free next summer as no club is going to pay the money PSG want for him this summer.

PSG aren't going to drop him if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Qatar are likely to offer him absolutely sickening money I could see him staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why?

His best bet is see out his contract and leave on a free next summer as no club is going to pay the money PSG want for him this summer.

PSG aren't going to drop him if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Presumably they mean from PSG's point of view? I'm sure they'd love 150+ million for him, but maybe getting 80 or 90 now is better than nothing in a year?

Though given how young he is, I could see a compromise being reached, where he signs on for a 2 year extension. The market just isn't in a place now (or likely a year from now) for anyone to offer him the terms he'd want. He's only 22 - could easily afford to spend another 2 years there on huge wages, and move on at 24 with (most likely) a much bigger range of options available to him at that stage.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Presumably they mean from PSG's point of view? I'm sure they'd love 150+ million for him, but maybe getting 80 or 90 now is better than nothing in a year?

Though given how young he is, I could see a compromise being reached, where he signs on for a 2 year extension. The market just isn't in a place now (or likely a year from now) for anyone to offer him the terms he'd want. He's only 22 - could easily afford to spend another 2 years there on huge wages, and move on at 24 with (most likely) a much bigger range of options available to him at that stage.

He signs the PSG version of The Harry Kane Gentleman's agreement contract :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Omar Richards moving on a free from Reading to Bayern Munich. Will likely be a backup for Alphonso Davies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How the mighty have fallen, a bunch of players their clubs don't want

rob316 wrote: »

I think they are being shrewd tbh. Forced upon them, but still. Some cracking signings there.

I'll love if Gini stayed at Liverpool, and I'd also love Aguero !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

rob316 wrote: »

the only player in that list that wasn't wanted by their club was Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Danny Rose released by Tottenham. I thought he retired last year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That leaves Barca with Messi, Fati, Dembele, Griezmann, Aguero and Depay for the attacking positions (and, eh, Martin Braithwaite).

Might see Dembele and/or Griezmann moved on, if there's any takers.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

GLaDOS wrote: »
    That leaves Barca with Messi, Fati, Dembele, Griezmann, Aguero and Depay for the attacking positions (and, eh, Martin Braithwaite).

From a financial point of view maybe, but numbers wise they need some depth.

GLaDOS wrote: »

They still have Coutinho too, who was in good form before getting injured this season. Who knows what happens him. Koeman seemed to like him and had him central to his plans but if Koeman goes, Coutinho could be the scapegoat. Perhaps to join up with his friend Neymar in Paris?

Fati seems like he could be a brilliant player, but there are serious worries about his fitness. He too had a blistering start to the season but got a very bad injury. The injury seems to be worse than expected and he has had another surgery or 2 on top of the original surgery. I'm not sure if there is an expected return date yet.

Dembele has his own injury problems every year, and so does Aguero.

Suddenly, the depth is not as deep with just(!) Messi, Griezmann & Depay available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Man United target Sancho, Rice, Kane & Torres

I am targeting a sub 3hr marathon and dinner with Jennifer Connolly, I might be as equally successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Alaba confirmed to Real Madrid, 5 year deal

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1398308471926370305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Alaba confirmed to Real Madrid, 5 year deal

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1398308471926370305

12M net whats that gross that Real would have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

FatherTed wrote: »
    12M net whats that gross that Real would have to pay?

25M a year gross, mental money to be throwing out for him

https://twitter.com/honigstein/status/1398254243858034690

12mill clear per year, for 5 years.

Jesus, that's a deal and a half for Alaba.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

NIMAN wrote: »
    12mill clear per year, for 5 years.

Jesus, that's a deal and a half for Alaba.

Cracking deal for a player that's 29 next month.

blackwave wrote: »
    Cracking deal for a player that's 29 next month.

Not sure if he is worth that sort of outlay tbh.
    Not like he's a match winner or anything.

Madrid must be desperate to cough up that sort of money. And one of their big problems is an aging team. Buying a guy at 29 for 5 seasons doesn't sound like the way to tackle that issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tax rate in Spain is 23%, so that works out about 300k gross I think. Which isn't as insane as the 412 equivilent figure an English club would have had to pay.

Maybe the tax laws changed recently though, but that is what it used to be. if it is still 23% then 12m net is not 25m gross. it would be between 15 and 16m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

tax rate in Spain is 23%, so that works out about 300k gross I think. Which isn't as insane as the 412 equivilent figure an English club would have had to pay.

Maybe the tax laws changed recently though, but that is what it used to be. if it is still 23% then 12m net is not 25m gross. it would be between 15 and 16m.

Footballers often tend to ignore the Spanish tax laws. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Where is he bought to play? Was mainly LB at Bayern but Davies playing there now with Alaba pushed in to centre back or at times centre mid if I remember right.

Ferland Mendy first choice LB at Real still I presume?

I think he'll be a CB.
    Either with Ramos, or to replace Ramos should his negotiations break down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can cover more than a couple of positions too. Not a bad deal at all really for Madrid all things considered (the fact that it's Madrid being one of those) 28 and athletic. Could get 4 years of high production still and if ends up going to centre back even longer you'd imagine

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I imagine their bankers are watching the news thinking "wtf?"

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I imagine their bankers are watching the news thinking "wtf?"

:)
    I assume they are gonna clear a fair chunk off their wage bull this year and raise some fees though?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

:)
    I assume they are gonna clear a fair chunk off their wage bull this year and raise some fees though?

They probably will, but I’d say it’s hard to imagine Alaba can command that salary based on his performances in 3-4 years time.

I mean he’s not going to turn into a chump either, but that’s best in your position in the world type salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is it wrote: »
    Where is he bought to play? Was mainly LB at Bayern but Davies playing there now with Alaba pushed in to centre back or at times centre mid if I remember right.

Ferland Mendy first choice LB at Real still I presume?

Alaba has been more central for a while. Either midfield or CB, been 2 or 3 seasons since he’s been a regular full back I think.

LB has been between Davies and Hernandez, with the latter being first choice just about, and Davies mostly playing when Hernandez went central.

CSF wrote: »
    They probably will, but I’d say it’s hard to imagine Alaba can command that salary based on his performances in 3-4 years time.

I mean he’s not going to turn into a chump either, but that’s best in your position in the world type salary.

Transfer fee comes into play like, the lack of one and the signing fee is more than likely getting included in the wages because people are working it out off what's been reported as yearly salary.

Over a 5 year contract it's really not a bad deal at all for Madrid. It's not breaking their wage structure (lol) and is obviously slightly inflated due to the no transfer outgoing, the cash outlay for the deal is minimal like.

He must have a good agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alaba has spent his entire Austria career playing center mid to quite a high level aswell tbf.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Alaba has spent his entire Austria career playing center mid to quite a high level aswell tbf.

I don't think anyone is disputing he's a very good player, but still he ain't at the top level, or what those wages would normally be paid out for.

But we agree the lack of transfer fee probably inflated his wage demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like the Konate signing. I think he's a significant upgrade on Kabak.

Seems PSG are in for Hakimi. I think he'd be an excellent signing if they can get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sky saying sterling and mharez for sale

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement