Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Thanks - so I am ok to grease an alu seatpost in an alu frame?

Yeah, I always have done anyway. A light coating will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Shimano MTB & the reason I had a thought it could be them is the metal on metal

Unlikely, as long as pedals and cleats are mounted correctly. A spray of wd40 or GT85 on pedal/cleat never does any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Brian? wrote: »
    It's not just ok, it's highly recommended

As above. If you think of areas on your bike where metal meets metal the seatpost seattube would be one of the more stressful areas as it’s taking the majority of your body weight. That stress can easily bond the metals together if they are not protected. A light coating of grease is essential in this area to keep that from happening.

In fact once a year I remove the saddle post and all give it a full clean and apply a layer of grease. This help avoid the dreaded stuck seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Another source of noise can be the plastic cleats creaking against the sole of the shoe, if the bolts are not really tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thank you all for the replies. Seatpost is greased and torqued exactly to spec. I will take it out tomorrow and see if that fixes it - if not cleats and pedals will be the next place to look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got new wheels, but lockrings are internally threaded as opposed to externally, so as ive broken a spoke on the old wheels they are a no go, so having pile of lockrings from cassetttes (well a pile of old cassettes actually i thought, wil these work ! they definitely do, although ill put the correct ones on as soon as i get the new rotors as they dont cover the serrations completely so i would guess they might need checking more frequently !

(waits for people to say what an idiot i am for even thinking like this !)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

What is the correct / best size inner gear cable for hybrid bike? There are two sizes available 1.2mm and 1.6mm, both of which are listed as being suitable for road and mountain bikes. Any particular brand? Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Maidhci wrote: »
    What is the correct / best size inner gear cable for hybrid bike? There are two sizes available 1.2mm and 1.6mm, both of which are listed as being suitable for road and mountain bikes. Any particular brand? Thanks.

In 30 odd years of cycling, I can’t say this something that I’ve ever thought about.

There are gear cables and brake cables. Do they even have brands? I just buy whatever is in my closest bike shop.

I have to commend you on bamboozling me completely.

Edit: did some googling. The 1.6mm are brake cables, the 1.2mm are gear cables. They’re not interchangeable, well I’ve seen them interchanged when they shouldn’t be.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Brian? wrote: »
    In 30 odd years of cycling, I can’t say this something that I’ve ever thought about.

There are gear cables and brake cables. Do they even have brands? I just buy whatever is in my closest bike shop.

I have to commend you on bamboozling me completely.

Edit: did some googling. The 1.6mm are brake cables, the 1.2mm are gear cables. They’re not interchangeable, well I’ve seen them interchanged when they shouldn’t be.

I spent an hour trying to replace a shifter cable on my first road bike. First time using SRAM and integrated cables, I thought I was just having a hard time until I found out the shop gave me the wrong sized cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Maidhci wrote: »

Some MTB inner brake cables are different to road bike cable. The cable end is round, whereas a road cable has a pear shaped end. (Some brands have the pear shaped end on one end of the cable and the round end at teh other end! you just cut off the end that's not needed)

As for brands.. Jagwire are pretty good. Shimano inner cables are not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Not sure where to put this question - if there's an actual correct thread, could I ask the modgods to move it, please, and sorry to trouble you?

We've recently bought a Dutch bike on Adverts, and the axle broke after a few weeks. We (I use the executive 'we' here) took the hub apart and found that the Sturmey-Archer hub gear was also broken - one of the pawls is broken.

We ('we') sent off for a new Sturmey-Archer hub set, plus axle and pawl in case the first one is reparable, and applied to Professor YouTube for a degree course in how to fix the gears.

It turns out, in the course of this, that WD40 is not good, and in fact most oils and greases aren't good; the best thing is a heavy oil, especially an American something called Phil's Tenacious Oil. Would anyone know where to get this - or its equivalent - in Ireland? Apparently Phil's Tenacious Oil is a few dollars in America but a fistful of dollars in Europe.

@magicbastarder I'm an idiot - just saw this thread, which is obviously where I should have posted this instead of wasting time with a new thread - could you do me the favour of moving it, please?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058190346

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a quick google, people seem to suggest a general car engine oil. you'd pay about €25 for 5l in a motor factors, but if you rocked up to a garage and asked them for half a litre, i'd say they might not charge you more than a few bob.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

though a little more googling suggests sturmey archer recommends SAE30, which seems to be fairly bog standard oil used in lawnmower engines, e.g.

https://mower.ie/product/briggs-stratton-engine-oil-sae30

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Some MTB inner brake cables are different to road bike cable. The cable end is round, whereas a road cable has a pear shaped end. (Some brands have the pear shaped end on one end of the cable and the round end at teh other end! you just cut off the end that's not needed)

As for brands.. Jagwire are pretty good. Shimano inner cables are not bad either.

Ah yeah, the wee bit at the end that sits in to the shifter can be different. Forgot about that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks, MB. 'We' tells me that there are 2 kinds of Sturmey-Archer hub - one that you oil every week through a little hole; the other is a closed kind that's greased with a kind of viscous oil that's not as heavy as normal grease. This is the kind we have.

do you have the model of hub you ordered to hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The Americans in particular are keen to re-brand bog standard lube/oil/grease and market it as God's gift to anti-friction aficionados. Add a funky coloured dye, repack in small containers, slap some witty name on it, and sell for an exorbitant price...Boom!!!

Ah. I was misinformed, or possibly didn't listen properly; it's the internal parts that are on their way to us. "It's an AB", I'm told. And it seems, possibly, that chainsaw oil is the best.
    Know what you mean about branding; Bag Balm was developed for cows' udders; farmers discovered they had lovely hands after using it and boom! it became a hit for keeping ladies' hands lovely too.

Mod is being a massive dick and edited out all of my post and then thread banned me

If you have a question about ebikes then this Facebook group is way more helpful and the mods aren't controling dicks.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/144951402623545/?tsid=0.7738607102565743&source=result

• Advertisement

Clear Air Turbulence - do not post in this thread again. if you've any questions, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

Hi all, I'm replacing my cassette and chainring on my MTB, currently a 30T chainring and 11-42 Cassette (1x11)
    Am I likely to run into issues with the rear mech if I fit a 11-46 cassette?

what's the rear derailleur? usually there are stated limits for the derailleur - you may be in luck and find that it has the capability to deal with a 46 tooth cassette.

covey123 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm replacing my cassette and chainring on my MTB, currently a 30T chainring and 11-42 Cassette (1x11)
    Am I likely to run into issues with the rear mech if I fit a 11-46 cassette?

I don't see there being any problem with putting in a slightly bigger cassette, derailleurs on mountain bikes are quite flexible in what they will accept.

do you have the model of hub you ordered to hand?

Sure, here you go, Magic.

554730.jpg

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Sure, here you go, Magic.

554730.jpg

Unfortunately the image doesn't give us that much information, do you know the name of the groupset and year the bike is from?

Unfortunately the image doesn't give us that much information, do you know the name of the groupset and year the bike is from?

Sturmey-Archer and a Gazelle sit-up bike is all I know, sorry.

Had a look for a serial number but it just says "Sturmey-Archer 07 England", as far as I can see.

554732.jpg

It looks like an AB (the B=brake). The there is also an AG (generator) hub, and the regular 3-speed AW hub (W=wide, there were also closer-ratio hubs).

You can change the axle easily enough (there are different lengths for different frame applications, hopefully you got the same length, or one that will work with the Gazelle).

No harm to have a spare set of internals, the newer Sturmey-Archer stuff isn't made of such good metal as the older ones. so stuff like chipped pawls are more common these days.

You can use any medium to thick oil (not watery stuff like WD-40 or GT-85), but don't put too much in - this isn't one of the more modern gear hubs like Shimano Alfine, that is almost filled with oil, like a car gearbox, it just needs to have all the parts damp or wet with oil, not immersed in it. If you you try to fill it, the oil will flow out past the bearings and destroy the brake shoes.

Where do you get these oils and what are they called, please?

• Advertisement

Any dribble-oil will do (an oil like Three-in-One that is supplied in a container with a dribbly spout). You can also use lighter automotive oils like lawnmower oil, but even regular engine oil would be fine.

Once it's not thin enough to evaporate (so aerosol lubes are out), the grade of oil isn't critical because, unlike engines, or high-speed machinery like vehicle hubs, bike parts don't rotate fast enough or handle enough loads to get hot, so the concept of the wrong grade of oil breaking down and allowing damage to occur is not an issue (on bikes, damage occurs through lack of lubricant, or water ingress causing oil breakdown).

Advertisement