Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 4A - euro 179 on Vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Raoul wrote: »
    Still with the upgrade even if I don't have a 5g plan?

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Raoul wrote: »
    Still with the upgrade even if I don't have a 5g plan?

Future proof yourself. That aside it's just a nice upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone that bought it from vodafone that aren't with vodafone, do you need to get a new number (to effectively keep your number) and then throwaway the sim that comes with it.
    Also how fast is delivery?

Has anyone tried any of the Official Roms on it, LineageOS or ProtonAOSP?
    I was about to pull the plug on the Oppo Reno a load of times, and now my hand is a little forced, I think I want to go with this camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Suckit wrote: »
    Anyone that bought it from vodafone that aren't with vodafone, do you need to get a new number (to effectively keep your number) and then throwaway the sim that comes with it.
    Also how fast is delivery?

Has anyone tried any of the Official Roms on it, LineageOS or ProtonAOSP?
    I was about to pull the plug on the Oppo Reno a load of times, and now my hand is a little forced, I think I want to go with this camera.

Not sure about ROMs. I went in store and got a new Vodafone number. Seller insisted on 20 euro top up credit. Threw Vodafone sim in bin, gave credit to a Vodafone using friend, using phone on 48 months. I did have issue getting internet to work but put in setting and eventually worked

zg3409 wrote: »
    Not sure about ROMs. I went in store and got a new Vodafone number. Seller insisted on 20 euro top up credit. Threw Vodafone sim in bin, gave credit to a Vodafone using friend, using phone on 48 months. I did have issue getting internet to work but put in setting and eventually worked
    Thanks. I'll do that so. Sound easiest.
    What are the people buying it online doing? Switching over and back?

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll do that so. Sound easiest.
    What are the people buying it online doing? Switching over and back?

I've got the 4a and the 4a 5g from the Vodafone website. Just order pay as you go, select new number and the 20 per month pay was you go Vodafone X deal then the order goes through with just the charge for the phone. It ships with a new SIM

Badly fukt wrote: »
    I've got the 4a and the 4a 5g from the Vodafone website. Just order pay as you go, select new number and the 20 per month pay was you go Vodafone X deal then the order goes through with just the charge for the phone. It ships with a new SIM
    Thanks, so it doesn't require you to pay for the credit there and then? How fast was delivery?

Thanks, so it doesn't require you to pay for the credit there and then? How fast was delivery?

2 days, next day if you order early

I stopped at the nearest Vodafone store and as soon as I walked in, a little guy came flying up to me shouting from across the shop "You've to sanitise your hands, don't forget to sanitise your hands" which was fair enough, but I had just walked in. He then told me not to touch the phones, I said grand, I just want to buy one.
    "Which one?" he said..
    So I told him and showed him. He made some reference to Red Velvet updates, I said cool. He then asked me was I with vodafone. I said no. This is where the mixup happened I think.
    He then told me I needed to be with vodafone, and I said but I can join, to which he said no.
    So I started looking around the shop. This was a very young guy. All the reps seemed to be good bit older, and wearing green jerseys. This guy was wearing a red fleece. I think his job was mainly to tell people to sanitise.
    I had said I was looking for the 4A 5G, as it has dual sim, and wondered if I could put another sim in it.
    He started to tell me about the phone being locked down etc.. I wasn't in the mood to deal with him. He was quite energetic or enthusiastic. Not sure what the word is. I was tired anyway, and just wanted out of there.
    He continued to tell me about the phone being locked down and all VF phones are. I said I'm not sure if that's correct, to which he assured me "a thousand percent" that they are unless there is a "bad batch"..
    I told him he was killing the sale. He said no other sims will work in it, I asked if it had VF software and/or bootlogo, he said he thinks so, but not sure, and couldn't touch the phones.

I was really trying to catch the attention of one of older/more qualified looking reps that were sitting down.
    I eventually thanked him and walked..... :o

Not entirely yer mans fault. I was a bit tired and grumpy. But I wasn't in the mood to find out when I got home that the phone is locked to vodafone, even though I was pretty sure going in, that it isn't.
    I'll order online as I am confident that is unlocked. The seed of doubt has been cast by yer man for the store bought ones.

I had said I was looking for the 4A 5G, as it has dual sim, and wondered if I could put another sim in it.

Just so you know it's not dual sim, it's single sim plus an eSIM, the latter which doesn't currently doesn't work on any Irish network.

• Advertisement

I stopped at the nearest Vodafone store and as soon as I walked in, a little guy came flying up to me shouting from across the shop "You've to sanitise your hands, don't forget to sanitise your hands" which was fair enough, but I had just walked in. He then told me not to touch the phones, I said grand, I just want to buy one.
    "Which one?" he said..
    So I told him and showed him. He made some reference to Red Velvet updates, I said cool. He then asked me was I with vodafone. I said no. This is where the mixup happened I think.
    He then told me I needed to be with vodafone, and I said but I can join, to which he said no.
    So I started looking around the shop. This was a very young guy. All the reps seemed to be good bit older, and wearing green jerseys. This guy was wearing a red fleece. I think his job was mainly to tell people to sanitise.
    He started to tell me about the phone being locked down etc.. I wasn't in the mood to deal with him. He was quite energetic or enthusiastic. Not sure what the word is. I was tired anyway, and just wanted out of there.
    He continued to tell me about the phone being locked down and all VF phones are. I said I'm not sure if that's correct, to which he assured me "a thousand percent" that they are unless there is a "bad batch"..
    I told him he was killing the sale. He said no other sims will work in it, I asked if it had VF software and/or bootlogo, he said he thinks so, but not sure, and couldn't touch the phones.

I was really trying to catch the attention of one of older/more qualified looking reps that were sitting down.
    I eventually thanked him and walked..... :o

Not entirely yer mans fault. I was a bit tired and grumpy. But I wasn't in the mood to find out when I got home that the phone is locked to vodafone, even though I was pretty sure going in, that it isn't.
    I'll order online as I am confident that is unlocked. The seed of doubt has been cast by yer man for the store bought ones.

Neither the 4a it the 4a 5g I've gotten off Vodafone are locked, he's spouting bs

Just so you know it's not dual sim, it's single sim plus an eSIM, the latter which doesn't currently doesn't work on any Irish network.

Thanks, didn't realise that.

I didn't look at it too much before going for it, I am just aware they are decent phones. Had a look at a few videos for the camera only (my main buying point), and saw dual sim mentioned. But my main reason for mentioning it, was to find out if it was locked. I shot my foot I think.
    I was looking at Oppo and Realme for the past week+, and both great phones, but I had to push today as circumstances changed and now I am in a bit more of a hurry.
    Neither the 4a it the 4a 5g I've gotten off Vodafone are locked, he's spouting bs
    Thanks, I will go back in to another store tomorrow as I will be in Dublin City Centre and buy one, as I just remembered it's a long weekend and I need it before Tuesday.
    Yours were online, I wonder are the ones in store locked?
    I didn't think so, but he has put doubt in. I will find out tomorrow. I am just going to buy it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

1000% unlocked. Go for it - great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got one in store.
    I went as far as saying to the rep that I'm so sure it's unlocked that I'm gonna buy it anyway, which I did, and then opened the phone in the shop and stuck my sim in and showed him. Both himself and the older rep told me it was locked. I think they're just told to say that every phone is locked so as to cover themselves. It's better to get that wrong than the other way around.

But ye, its the one time I'd actually recommend going with what people on the Internet say!!

rizzee wrote: »
    1000% unlocked. Go for it - great phone.
    :D Sounds familiar..
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    I got one in store.
    I went as far as saying to the rep that I'm so sure it's unlocked that I'm gonna buy it anyway, which I did, and then opened the phone in the shop and stuck my sim in and showed him. Both himself and the older rep told me it was locked. I think they're just told to say that every phone is locked so as to cover themselves. It's better to get that wrong than the other way around.

But ye, its the one time I'd actually recommend going with what people on the Internet say!!

Yeah, I'll go with the internet so, and a little more confident now too. Thanks guys. Going for it tomorrow. :yay:

RIght..
    Drove to swords today. None in stock. From there I drove to Santry. None in stock. :(
    So I looked them up online and decided to order to collect. Every store I chose (most in Dublin) were out of stock.

So in the end I gave up and ordered online. Kinda wanted to avoid that as long weekend etc. and wanted it before then, but done now.

:D

Hopefully VodafoneX doesn't try to take recurring €20 every 4 weeks.

Hopefully VodafoneX doesn't try to take recurring €20 every 4 weeks.

You won't have to pay anything, they can't force you to pay on a PAYG Plan.

rizzee wrote: »
    You won't have to pay anything, they can't force you to pay on a PAYG Plan.

They used to take payment for the sim on checkout. They did that with the 3a. They haven't done this time with the 4a5G. I assume it might be a glitch.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    They used to take payment for the sim on checkout. They did that with the 3a. They haven't done this time with the 4a5G. I assume it might be a glitch.

They didn't do it when I purchased multiple 3as and 2 of my 4as with new sims, maybe you opted in to something different. It's always top up when you receive the phone and SIM unless another option was selected.

I couldn't see any choice at the time. I must have tried 20 times before I managed to buy it.

Woeful website.

• Advertisement

that's not correct.

Irish operators don't offer eSIMs but eSIMs do work on at least some of the networks here - on the Vodafone one anyways.

With "roam like home" offered by some EU operators you could easily use one here - and could potentially be useful if you needed a foreign number.

I know of someone doing that with a French eSIM here.

Yeah they'll be available whenever Comreg get around to allowing them

they are also hundreds of thousands of them already active here in the commercial space for connected electricity meters.

glasso wrote: »
    that's not correct.

Irish operators don't offer eSIMs but eSIMs do work on at least some of the networks here - on the Vodafone one anyways.

Obviously I mean signing up to an Irish network.

Obviously I mean signing up to an Irish network.

definitely not wanting to enter a 50 post exchange here as some are (in)famous for but you said "doesn't work on any Irish network" quite specifically.

glasso wrote: »
    definitely not wanting to enter a 50 post exchange here as some are (in)famous for but you said "doesn't work on any Irish network" quite specifically.

I know, which is the only reason you replied to it. Obviously, if you had read the context of OP's post, you would know that he is not looking to order a sim from France nor is he looking to become an electrician, but he appreciates your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

I wouldn't be blaming Comreg.

Irish MNO's have a pretty poor record when it comes to introduction of new network technology & features. Think of how long it took us to get decent 4G in this country. VoLTE (wifi calling) is still limited at best.

Ive been using a foreign eSIM for at least a year so there is no technological impediment to doing so. And its one of the main reasons I buy Pixel phones.

wassie wrote: »

Irish MNO's have a pretty poor record when it comes to introduction of new network technology & features. Think of how long it took us to get decent 4G in this country. VoLTE (wifi calling) is still limited at best.

Ive been using a foreign eSIM for at least a year so there is no technological impediment to doing so. And its one of the main reasons I buy Pixel phones.

In this case it actually is Comreg not regulating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭bromley52

What eSIM are you using?

• Advertisement

operators still don't like the idea of people being able to switch networks without even having to go to the trouble to pick up a physical sim from a competitor.

it's pure bs on the part of the Irish operators.

as you say eSIMs work perfectly well on the Irish networks and more than a few people have been able to make use of this facility already.

Advertisement