Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2021

• 07-06-2021 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

Well lads n lassies - that time year again.
    Anyone think there might be a window later this week and over the weekend to make some Hay.
    Have a field ready to cut here so debating whether to just wrap it or try get Hay from it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Sami23 wrote: »
    Well lads n lassies - that time year again.
    Anyone think there might be a window later this week and over the weekend to make some Hay.
    Have a field ready to cut here so debating whether to just wrap it or try get Hay from it

Weather apps say no in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Have 3 acres down since Friday morning. Would have it saved if the hay Bob was better able to turn it. Gonna be tight. Might end up with haylage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

We can't get 2 days to cut silage never mind make hay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Cut a bit yesterday. Tedded out in the evening. Just tedding it again. Has dried better than I thought.
    The week ahead is ok with very little rain mid week. Hoping to bale up next weekend. Hard to leave the chance behind when ground is so good

Cut a bit yesterday. Tedded out in the evening. Just tedding it again. Has dried better than I thought.
    The week ahead is ok with very little rain mid week. Hoping to bale up next weekend. Hard to leave the chance behind when ground is so good

Cut yesterday? Tedded twice already but won’t be fit till the weekend? Twill be fit before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

We can't get 2 days to cut silage never mind make hay

Not much rain forecast for this week and ment to be hot all next wend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

893bet wrote: »
    Cut yesterday? Tedded twice already but won’t be fit till the weekend? Twill be fit before then.

Getting cloudy during the week. Risk of showers could set it back a day or two. A lot of it is grassy and some is surplus grazing ground. Getting sick of the black pudding bales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

My neighbour always said that good hay needs rain! Whether before if after cutting I was never too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Dunedin

My neighbour always said that good hay needs rain! Whether before if after cutting I was never too sure.

Jayus there’s a lad in every place that has a saying/hairbrain idea on something.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Dunedin wrote: »
    Jayus there’s a lad in every place that has a saying/hairbrain idea on something.........

Ah no good hay needs rain alright, I think it's when the grass is growing.

We don't tend to have the problem so much in this country but that hay from scorched grass that can be baled as soon as it's cut can't be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Biscuitus

Already have 10 acres down. Last year was a disaster for hay so I'm jumping on the opportunity now.

I’ve a neighbour who likes to have silage wet when cutting. I’ve saw him do first cut in July and insist it was brilliant silage!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Tileman

I would chance it weather wise but all my hay is in Glas so will have to wait another few weeks. Not enough on the meadows either to be fair. Hopefully the lads that have it down it will work out for ye. Should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

Ah no good hay needs rain alright, I think it's when the grass is growing.

We don't tend to have the problem so much in this country but that hay from scorched grass that can be baled as soon as it's cut can't be great.

Another neighbour had hay for sale and the local expert/useless farmer went to look at it and insulted the seller by saying “it’s too dehydrated”!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone who thinks that hay needs rain obviously wasn’t trying to save “hay” in 1985/86!!!

Mine is gone backwards since yesterday I swear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

tanko wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that hay needs rain obviously wasn’t trying to save “hay” in 1985/86!!!

The folks here tell of going on their honeymoon to London via rosslare and fishguard and then by train.
    Would have been mid 1970's. The father says it was shocking looking out the windows at farmers just pushing rotten heaps of hay into the field corners.

Environmentalists nowadays going on about birds just don't realise the hardship and financial hit that a lost crop of hay brought.
    The silage bale allowed a crop be harvested rather than dumped and brought somewhat a certainty of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tanko wrote: »

That was some hardship, we had gone to silage by then but there was shocking fodder lost and what was saved was very poor.

Bales silage has plenty of drawbacks but with the change in climate you get feed saved, even in a bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Another neighbour had hay for sale and the local expert/useless farmer went to look at it and insulted the seller by saying “it’s too dehydrated”!
    If the seller actually got insulted by a clown like that, they need a good dose of cop on themselves.

Decided to wrap it. Not worth chance of shower tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

7 acres down here. Looking good. Down 2 days and tedded twice. Be well sorted for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

The folks here tell of going on their honeymoon to London via rosslare and fishguard and then by train.
    Would have been mid 1970's. The father says it was shocking looking out the windows at farmers just pushing rotten heaps of hay into the field corners.

Environmentalists nowadays going on about birds just don't realise the hardship and financial hit that a lost crop of hay brought.
    The silage bale allowed a crop be harvested rather than dumped and brought somewhat a certainty of success.

Probably then I had small bales of hay standing in groups of 4 (knots down and out was the rule). When I came to shift them rabbits had made a nest in one of the cavities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

First bit of hay baled here before any rain

davidk1394 wrote: »
    First bit of hay baled here before any rain

That’s the shot. Tis an awful pity the pubs are not fully open as you’d have a mighty one up on all the aul begrudging neighbors who said you were mad to be cutting it......!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

That’s the shot. Tis an awful pity the pubs are not fully open as you’d have a mighty one up on all the aul begrudging neighbors who said you were mad to be cutting it......!

I cut a field beside the road so people could have a good look:D

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I cut a field beside the road so people could have a good look:D

Even better again........

Looks like no Hay window for another few weeks at least :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sami23 wrote: »
    Looks like no Hay window for another few weeks at least :(

We haven’t had a drop of rain here in past 5-6 days. Lovely warm breeze and weather is good at weekend. Anyone that cut last weekend will get it here no prob.

Tileman wrote: »
    We haven’t had a drop of rain here in past 5-6 days. Lovely warm breeze and weather is good at weekend. Anyone that cut last weekend will get it here no prob.

Not so bad that's great.
    Pretty dull here in the west all week bar a few sunny breaks. Was raining in Galway City this morning again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I often reckon lads come up with sayings to make themselves feel better.

A wet and windy May...surely that was some lad trying to take a positive out of a spell of s**t weather!

Advertisement