Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best person to get driving lessons from in athlone

Fergal McCormack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0525/1223754-tus-midlands-midwest/

The auld Technical University status seems nice etc but why partner with Limerick when Galway is down the road. Even Castlebar is almost closer.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0525/1223754-tus-midlands-midwest/

The auld Technical University status seems nice etc but why partner with Limerick when Galway is down the road. Even Castlebar is almost closer.

GMIT have gone in with Sligo and Letterkenny for the Connacht-Ulster Alliance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    GMIT have gone in with Sligo and Letterkenny for the Connacht-Ulster Alliance

Yes , That's the obvious reason when you look at a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Maynooth is nearby as well. There was supposed to be a tie up a few years ago. Maynooth is linked with the Military College as well so could have made a good fit.
    The benefit of Limerick is that the Shannon region has a good industrial base as opposed to going in with a University with its origins in a seminary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Lotto won in Athlone at weekend, 6.5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Maynooth have one of the best computer science departments in the country in terms of teaching. Their graduates, on average, are very good in my experience so would have been a serious addition to the software efforts in the AIT.

But Limerick institute of technology is still a fine match.

rn wrote: »
    Maynooth have one of the best computer science departments in the country in terms of teaching. Their graduates, on average, are very good in my experience so would have been a serious addition to the software efforts in the AIT.

But Limerick institute of technology is still a fine match.

Maynooth are also a University in their own right so wouldn't have had any need to merge with an existing IT for a TU status

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

But why O why such a cumbersome, convoluted name

Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest (TUS:
    MMW)

:confused::confused::confused:

I'd say us and Limerick got shafted as the "odd couple".

"Shannon" is a bit of a stretch for linking the 2 places.

Still beggars can't be choosers. It does look daft that we now boast "6 campuses" but 5 of them are L.I.T family and again, none are anywhere near Athlone (Moylish park main campus, Clare St, Ennis, Clonmel, Thurles)

• Advertisement

Unless water transport comes back as a thing. Hourly departures to LIT from Sr. Bernards Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

rn wrote: »
    Unless water transport comes back as a thing. Hourly departures to LIT from Sr. Bernards Quay

1280px-Solent_Flyer_hovercraft_at_Ryde%2C_Isle_of_Wight%2C_England.jpg

There won't be a corncrake left in clonown if that gets on the shannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Anyone remember the hovercraft that was out at Hodson Bay doing trips around the Lough? Would have been early/mid 90's timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Nforce wrote: »
    Anyone remember the hovercraft that was out at Hodson Bay doing trips around the Lough? Would have been early/mid 90's timeframe.

Yep! I remember it well!!

It was a nightmare around Lower Lough Ree, with huge impact on sound levels on the lake. I fish a lot and that time was awful for anyone valuing peace and quiet out in a beautiful spot!

I don't how it ended up! But I was very surprised at the time at the man who was involved, as he had been heavily involved in Lough Ree diving, an activity to which a buzzing hovercraft would have been anathema!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yep! I remember it well!!

It was a nightmare around Lower Lough Ree, with huge impact on sound levels on the lake. I fish a lot and that time was awful for anyone valuing peace and quiet out in a beautiful spot!

I don't how it ended up! But I was very surprised at the time at the man who was involved, as he had been heavily involved in Lough Ree diving, an activity to which a buzzing hovercraft would have been anathema!
    I remember it too, noisy beast, a friend almost got knocked over by it while windsurfing on lake, it was not very maneuverable.

Maybe it's lockdown blurring my vision but shoot, there seems to be alot more people and traffic on the roads in and out of town these days. Anyone else noticing

Maybe it's lockdown blurring my vision but shoot, there seems to be alot more people and traffic on the roads in and out of town these days. Anyone else noticing

Fully agree! I'm also noticing ppl giving other ppl much less 'social distance'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

"Before quickly tiring" fair play to the journo, that's gold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Your man in the red who comes in sneakily at the end to prod the opponent with the queue stand :D

Absolutely, way more…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Absolutely, way more…

It’s great to see more businesses being allowed operate

Expect it to get many times worse when hospitality reopens next week

Looking forward to heading to the Connaught side for grub again

Monksland isn't in Athlone!

Screwfix Athlone/Monksland is now open !

https://www.screwfix.ie/jsp/tradeCounter/tradeCounterDetailsPage.jsp?id=14

TimHorton wrote: »

Uh! Oh!

Mickey Ganly won't be too happy with that...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Uh! Oh!

Mickey Ganly won't be too happy with that...

I bet he won't, Closing at 5 every day and no Sunday opening is not going to help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

TimHorton wrote: »
    I bet he won't, Closing at 5 every day and no Sunday opening is not going to help either.

The oul business model will have to be changed there all right I would suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I never noticed it before but Ganlys have a Support Local Business sign outside the front of the shop. I wonder is that a recent addition pre-empting for screwfix :)

Rikand wrote: »
    I never noticed it before but Ganlys have a Support Local Business sign outside the front of the shop. I wonder is that a recent addition pre-empting for screwfix :)
    I don't know, but many have these now to try to combat online sales.

• Advertisement

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I don't know, but many have these now to try to combat online sales.
    I sympathise with them but I think it is going to be hard compete with online sales, hadn’t done much myself until lockdown, now is becoming very natural to do (For me) Prices are very good and reviews from people who have purchased are very helpful.

Advertisement