Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movistar Netflix Documentary

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mas looks unhealthy and about 25 years older then he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

When Mas (I think it was) was told to ride @ 5.8W / kg and he calculated what the power would be, he entered his weight as 60 kg..

Absolutely nuts. According to Wikipedia he's 1.77m tall. 60kg at 1.77m tall is ridiculously light

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

season two is showing a very different side to the team than season one
    season one was a lot of team politics and rider egos on a very successful team

season two so far (3episodes) seems to be more about failings in the team and riders
    fragility, especially mentally. It sure doesn't look very attractive as a sport from this angle.

The sucking up to Valverde is unreal by everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

wpd wrote: »
    season two is showing a very different side to the team than season one
    season one was a lot of team politics and rider egos on a very successful team

season two so far (3episodes) seems to be more about failings in the team and riders
    fragility, especially mentally. It sure doesn't look very attractive as a sport from this angle.

The sucking up to Valverde is unreal by everyone

It may be just the public perception of these teams but you'd have the feeling that the more organised squads like Ineos or Quickstep are watching this series and having a good old laugh. Certainly the brilliant "behind the scenes" coverage of the RVV on the "Flanders Classics" Youtube channel makes the various directeurs sportif in Quickstep or Lotto appear much more decisive and emphatic. You cant imagine the Quickstep bus having a team meeting on the morning of a race where there are three or four different plans and nobody gets off the bus knowing what the hell they are supposed to be doing.

There's also the matter of whether race radio has led to a generation of riders who are lost without instructions pouring into their ears but first I'm going to have to go shout at a cloud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The lack of management is insane, I have seen A4 teams at the tour of the North with better planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

the guy in the giro threatening to quit race because the director forgot to leave rain jacket is
    unbelievable, they seem very unprofessional in ways

It's an eye opener for sure and speaks volumes re: the lack of results. This the team that was once Reynolds, then Banesto.

One other thing struck me while watching it.....

7 degrees and raining and one of the team was frozen to the bone. Granted they don't have much fat on them for insulation but I'd hate to see them on a 4 hour ride on a February Sunday in the West of Ireland when it's 3 degrees and raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mitchelsontour

G1032 wrote: »
    One other thing struck me while watching it.....

7 degrees and raining and one of the team was frozen to the bone. Granted they don't have much fat on them for insulation but I'd hate to see them on a 4 hour ride on a February Sunday in the West of Ireland when it's 3 degrees and raining.

Did one of the DSs call them summer cyclists.

Did one of the DSs call them summer cyclists.

LOL. I missed that bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Marc Soler is high maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The whole team seems high maintenance, I am half way thru season 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The first series really put me off him. I'm usually all for young, new riders coming through. But I find it very hard to warm to him. Mas, I still have time for. Could do with a move to a new team as I think there's a very good rider there. My bet is Soler will do nothing of note in his career when compared to his peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Finished it this evening. Really enjoyed it, they're a bunch of drama queens but the documentary does a good job of gettin their side of things across.
    The last 2 minutes are hilarious, cant wait to see how things work out with the new signings :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I really don't get the Valverde pandering, he was a savage rider, but not up to what they place him to now, and he never catches flack other riders do. I actually warmed to him a wee bit after season 1, back to normal for season 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

eeeee wrote: »
    I really don't get the Valverde pandering, he was a savage rider, but not up to what they place him to now, and he never catches flack other riders do. I actually warmed to him a wee bit after season 1, back to normal for season 2!

Leaving aside *those* issues and his weapons- grade wheelsucking, he is still a savage rider in terms of results. In 2019, which would have been the previous racing season for Series 2 of the documentary, he had a 9th overall in the TdF, 2nd In the Vuelta and a stage win. You can see in the documentary that while there is a hope that Mas or Solar will get a good result, there is an expectation that when all else fails, Valverde will deliver. He's been the meal ticket for that squad for many years, hence the pandering.

Leaving aside *those* issues and his weapons- grade wheelsucking, he is still a savage rider in terms of results. In 2019, which would have been the previous racing season for Series 2 of the documentary, he had a 9th overall in the TdF, 2nd In the Vuelta and a stage win. You can see in the documentary that while there is a hope that Mas or Solar will get a good result, there is an expectation that when all else fails, Valverde will deliver. He's been the meal ticket for that squad for many years, hence the pandering.

They mentioned also that he's finished in the top 10 of a Grand Tour 20 times.. What an absolutely phenomenal achievement..
    I also read before that he finished in the top 50 of a road race more than 200 times consecutively..
    With that kind of record, the pandering is understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just finished Session 2.

I was scared of Pablo Lastras after Season 1... I am still scared of him now. There's something about him... he looks like some sort of assassin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm only watching S1 now, missed it first time round.

Landa will never win anything, he really is beaten before he rolls off the ramp.
    Valverde is weirdly likeable, even though he comes off as really smarmy throughout.
    Quintana & Carapaz are both pretty clinical, cutthroat to get what they want, but Carapaz comes across far better. Quintana couldn't back it up with results, nor be very personable with the teammates who worked their asses off all day for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Watching this the past few nights. Its very interesting.

Given the elite level they are at, and I suppose the salaries they earn, the chaos around a lot of the racing is a bit surprising.

I like how they eat together though some parts of that surprised me, maybe it shouldnt, the cornflakes for breakfast and wine with dinner type of thing.

Another thing that really stuck with me was the fervent support from Colombian and Ecuadorean fans at the end of each stage win for Carapaz or Quintana. Reminded me a bit of Irish fans back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I really warmed to Mas after season 2. You can see the pressure he puts on himself. Really not sure how I feel about Soler - he comes across as a bit of knob, but at the same time he really cuts through the DS's bs plans on the bus. I kinda like the "tell me the f*cking plan, clearly" attitude.

It was really interesting about the thrill of being on the final podium, for all the stick they get for the team prize. There's been a bit of discussion on a few podcasts as to how the press and fans are too focused on the "win", and don't see the smaller "wins" teams may have. Like we're missing the objective. Again, from this documentary, the importance to the riders and team of gaining GC places. I think that really passes by - they don't distance the GC podium so moves "fail" in the eyes of the press/ public, but their objective was to gain places/ time on their direct GC rivals so it was actually a successful day for the team.

The Cycling Podcast this week suggested that ASO are looking at a "Drive to Survive" type documentary. We haven't watched F1 in years, but have watched all seasons of that. And it seems to have really brought F1 (back?) into the wider public's consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just finished Season 2.

I was chatting to someone about using some of those Team meetings on the Bus as examples of how not to manage a group under pressure.

Too many opinions and too much indecision at key moments. I get the impression that the directeurs sportifs are just winging it and haven't met beforehand to plan.

Those Rider may be at the top of their game physically but most of them are really young and have no idea how to lead. Although Soler tries he just doesn't have the authority. He looks like a rabbit in the headlights a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

CramCycle wrote: »
    The lack of management is insane, I have seen A4 teams at the tour of the North with better planning.

I was wondering about this and then watched the last 3 episodes of season 2.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dinneenp wrote: »
    I was wondering about this and then watched the last 3 episodes of season 2.......

I thought they came across OK until the last few episodes, I am shocked their PR guy let it be released. This said, it did highlight some of the things, like the press making it out to be a revenge tactic on Carapaz when it wasn't. i hadn't thought that at the time but obviously a bigger story there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think if you see the Orica/Bike exchange videos on youtube over the last few years of their on the bus meetings they always seem to have a plan for one rider and everyone is supporting that rider but the movistar meetings seem to be winging it for 2 or 3 riders in the hope that one of them is in the right place at the right time. I think it shows the problems a team have when they have to many riders with potential and trying to keep them all happy. Im sure the meeting on the ineos bus is a lot more though out, planned and reinforced that guys are riding for a certain team mate

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Just finished season 2.

Most of the advice seems to be go go go, dont let them get you, youre really showing them, etc.

Mental that on the bus Arrieta was saying "we'll wait till a particular point then Enric attacks and blows the race open" - (I think!) they all kind of agreed, then the other DS Patxi Villa says "No lads we wont do that, we'll ride for the stage not to blow the race open". Then they all kind of say OK we ride but we wait, then we go for the stage but we go for GC as well? Everyone clear?

Then in the car it was "What will I do?" - If your feeling food go for it..... "What about the plan ?" OK we wait....

I may have got all above wrong I just couldn't figure out what was going on...

Then the TT, whatever was going on there, they missed some point - presume it was the intermediate time check - what did he go through there in? - "I'd say it was about 4-30".

Organised chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was kinda weird seeing Nairo with the fans. He was so isolated in the team that it was kinda like watching a crying child getting hugged by his mother after putting in a crap performance on a soccer pitch

Advertisement