Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ah! Had one in my last house though it didn’t work. It made a loud bang and tripped the main ELCB anytime someone flicked it on. Never knew itwas called that.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

Can anybody here recommend a company/person for solar panel service ? (Here or PM if against forum rules) Visited the mother there the other day who informs me hers haven’t been working for the past x months. The company who installed them is gone bust as are the builders of the house so she has no one to get onto about them. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Can anybody here recommend a company/person for solar panel service ? (Here or PM if against forum rules) Visited the mother there the other day who informs me hers haven’t been working for the past x months. The company who installed them is gone bust as are the builders of the house so she has no one to get onto about them. Thanks in advance :)

Has the house been fitted with a new smart meter in the last few months. If so they have not re fitted the CT clamp. Happened to a friend of mine. Refitted and all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

Either that or the inverter MCB has tripped

There's no moving parts to service, so in 99% of cases, it only needs the equivalent of a Ctrl-Alt-Del

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Is it Solar PV or Solar Thermal?

PV - Generates Electricity

Thermal - Water Heating only

• Advertisement

Thanks for all 3 replies above. I do not know if it’s a PV or Panel. Just she copped her electricity bills were way up from same time last year. The box in the attic connected to them she has rebooted but still says some sort of error. I haven’t looked at it myself in a long time.

If I get the chance over next few days I’ll go have another look, see if I can see the equivalent to a ctrl alt delete or take some photos. Thanks again for replies it’s much appreciated.

Edit: no smart meter installed no

Post while you are there and we might get you sorted there and then. For electricity, it's certainly Solar PV. Does she have battery storage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

I got panels installed today. I've noticed a few of the roof tiles have popped up around an inch or so due to the brackets. Should I be worried?

I got panels installed today. I've noticed a few of the roof tiles have popped up around an inch or so due to the brackets. Should I be worried?

Doesn't sound right. I would expect that an installer would use an angle grinder to cut a slot in the underside of the tile under which the bracket protrudes, thereby allowing the tile to sit perfectly flat once again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, especially if towards the bottom of the roof as birdies will exploit come nesting season

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, especially if towards the bottom of the roof as birdies will exploit come nesting season

Would be hard pressed to get a bird under there.

slave1 wrote: »

Would be hard pressed to get a bird in there. The part that's popped up is the part where the tiles come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Would be hard pressed to get a bird in there. The part that's popped up is the part where the tiles come together.

Driving rain could get up there. An inch is ALOT.

Definitely be worried. Get installer back asap.

Did they drill the tiles to install the brackets?

KCross wrote: »
    Driving rain could get up there. An inch is ALOT.

Definitely be worried. Get installer back asap.

Did they drill the tiles to install the brackets?

No idea what they did as I wasn't watching. I did hear lots of drilling however.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Get your installer back straight away.

Surely the photos to the SEAI to get the grant would need these photographed. I can't see them tolerating it

Hi lads. Thanks again for your earlier help. I’ve gone up and taken photos it’s a Trannergy box and the Erie it’s giving me is “relay check fail”. I’ve attached 4 photos and a quick google tells me in the worst case scenario a new “inverter box” is needed. Any help & advice is very much appreciated

pic of what tile looks like

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pretty conclusive, give the installer the opportunity to put things right

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hi lads. Thanks again for your earlier help. I’ve gone up and taken photos it’s a Trannergy box and the Erie it’s giving me is “relay check fail”. I’ve attached 4 photos and a quick google tells me in the worst case scenario a new “inverter box” is needed. Any help & advice is very much appreciated

It's also saying utility loss. Which could indicate that it's not getting grid power.

On your fuseboard (consumer unit) where you have the solar rcbo, make sure that's not tripped. Some have to be pushed into the off position before it can be reset.

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    It's also saying utility loss. Which could indicate that it's not getting grid power.

On your fuseboard (consumer unit) where you have the solar rcbo, make sure that's not tripped. Some have to be pushed into the off position before it can be reset.

Thanks I’ll see what that does next time I get over. Thanks again for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Struggling here to remember the site from Solis where you can input your panel voltage etc to see if compatible with their under or if have gone over in village amps etc. Thinking of adding couple panels to my ground array and my calculations say is fine but want to double check. Does anyone know of it as remember seeing somebody post it here before but can't find it in search. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Question.
    I had a 3.6kwh system installed in January, no battery. In that time it generated 1245kWh of electricity, I have no real idea what was used in that time as all my meter box readings were estimated and I the actual readings were higher than I expected. I am still trying to gauge what positive impact it is having.

I have so much very hot water. This could be because of the Willis heater connected to the water tank, there is no thermostat on the water tank.

Is there something I should be looking into? I had submitted meter readings and am awaiting a new bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Question.
    I had a 3.6kwh system installed in January, no battery. In that time it generated 1245kWh of electricity, I have no real idea what was used in that time as all my meter box readings were estimated and I the actual readings were higher than I expected. I am still trying to gauge what positive impact it is having.

I have so much very hot water. This could be because of the Willis heater connected to the water tank, there is no thermostat on the water tank.

Is there something I should be looking into? I had submitted meter readings and am awaiting a new bill.

Hang on you have the system in 6 months and your only putting in a correct Meter reading now.
    If all the bills have been estimates then the bill wont change.
    You have to keep on top of this to see the results.

I'm going to guess you haven't switched you provider in a while.

Get a thermostat on the tank otherwise your tank will go BOOM, personally I would switch off the hot water power supply till you get this sorted

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Hang on you have the system in 6 months and your only putting in a correct Meter reading now.
    If all the bills have been estimates then the bill wont change.
    You have to keep on top of this to see the results.

I'm going to guess you haven't switched you provider in a while.

Get a thermostat on the tank otherwise your tank will go BOOM, personally I would switch off the hot water power supply till you get this sorted
    Provider was Iberdrola, not the easiest to add actual readings and there are a lot of other important issues that needed my time over the past few months, please don't judge. As I said I am awaiting a bill. The past bill was actual so that is why I haven't posted before this.

As I said we are not heating the immersion, the boiler is heating the water, if we need it, we don't. €300 of oil last July, probably half of that left.

The tariff was renegotiated within a couple of weeks of expiry of the previous tariff expiry.

This is house we moved into less than a year ago. And did a huge amount of work on. BER E1, now B2. Pv was installed in January and I was told it would be may before the returns would be evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Pv was installed in January and I was told it would be may before the returns would be evident.

It’s difficult to determine returns by looking at bills and comparing to previous year. Way too many variables to be able to deduce anything.

Differences in usage, weather differences, estimated bill, different prices, lockdowns ... the list goes on.

To see your returns you look at what your Solar PV inverter says you have generated and then you need to see how much of it you exported to the grid and then you have a reasonable estimate of what it has saved you.

Provider was Iberdrola, not the easiest to add actual readings and there are a lot of other important issues that needed my time over the past few months, please don't judge. As I said I am awaiting a bill. The past bill was actual so that is why I haven't posted before this.

As I said we are not heating the immersion, the boiler is heating the water, if we need it, we don't. €300 of oil last July, probably half of that left.

The tariff was renegotiated within a couple of weeks of expiry of the previous tariff expiry.

This is house we moved into less than a year ago. And did a huge amount of work on. BER E1, now B2. Pv was installed in January and I was told it would be may before the returns would be evident.

Can your water heating use solar surplus only, or are you simply running it for xx hours per day ? I found a link online to one, which had a 3kw rating, so without being able to use excess only, this would well be the source of your increased unexpected increase in consumption. Your amount of potential excess will follow the size of your system.

If your willis heater is running at full normal rate, you should possibly consider an Eddi which would ONLY use Solar Excess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I am a bit confused. Are you using the Willis to heat the water or the boiler? Or both? Is your boiler circuit zoned? i.e. is it possible to turn off hot water or central heating separately? I assume you don't need heating now. Then why don't you turn the boiler off fully if it is not zoned?

Does your inverter have a CT clamp to measure import/export? Does it collect those stats? Would help if you could tell us the make and model of the inverter.

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    I am a bit confused. Are you using the Willis to heat the water or the boiler? Or both? Is your boiler circuit zoned? i.e. is it possible to turn off hot water or central heating separately? I assume you don't need heating now. Then why don't you turn the boiler off fully if it is not zoned?

Does your inverter have a CT clamp to measure import/export? Does it collect those stats? Would help if you could tell us the make and model of the inverter.

I only bought this house last year, I didn't install the wills heater.

Spoke with the solar guy, a plumber and an electrician today. The solar guy said to install a single element immersion heater element. I need to prevent the kids from getting scalded. Plumber thinks it would help somewhat but will still be hot.

The Willis is connected directly to the iboost.

Advertisement