Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

referendum on Covid approach

• 18-06-2021 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, i don't believe in having this lockdown, i suggest we have a referendum on how we approach tackling Covid. with that, can we have a vote on what approach to take instead of being dictated to.
    option 4 is what i would go for, this would entail better cleaning in pubs . restroom attendants at busy times, limit numbers in pubs/nightclubs for the next year or two depending on the virus. less travelling around to pubs, book yer pub like a resturant or concert. basically a better public health approach to how pubs operate. i would open everything else up backto normal, but if someone was afraid of the virus or wanted to stay isolated then they can be given the supports to do so(e.g. elderly people with other health concerns)

referendum on ending lockdown 69 votes

stay the current course
    62% 43 votes
    new zealand approach(zero Covid), put the army on the border with the north
    24% 17 votes
    no lockdowns, open up completly
    0% 0 votes
    Open up fully, but with precautions on pubs only i.e. limit numbers in pubs
    13% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

People that are fully vaccinated have literally just been told they can get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

can they go to a nightclub or pub or concert now then ?
    people are getting turned back from going to the beach i heard. not much point being told you can go back to normal, when in fact, you can't. there's signs on shops still saying you must wear a mask. i want the mask to be only for a sick person who is spluttering and coughing and is in a public place, to stop them spluttering on others. this would be a generaly public health measure though regardless of covid. people who are sick should be at home though getting better, not in public spreading whatever they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Look at the UK. They got a headstart on vaccinations but because they jumped the gun on opening-up combined with the delta variant, their hospital numbers are now shooting up and they have to delay fully opening up. At least we are going at a pace that when we do finally open up, we will have the right vaccination numbers to do so.

So op, instead of saying you don't believe in this lockdown, how about telling us how many deaths and ICU numbers you think are acceptable. The lockdown and vaccination combination results are in the numbers.

Maybe your referendum should actually just give a choice of the numbers - let the people vote hunger game style.

it's not a question of how many deaths are acceptable, people can and should be supported if they want to continue to isolate and keep themselves safe.
    Cillian De Gascun himself said we've probably over half a million people infected with covid(since the beginning) already in this country.... lockdown didn't work too well there did it?
    if only there was a way to measure if people have been infected previously we could actually make informed decisions (there bloody well is)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus not this garbage again, how many times does it need to be explained referendums are for changing the constitution.

They are not useful in any way for the first binary wedge issue that comes into your head. Brexit is the prime example of why they should not be used in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it's not a question of how many deaths are acceptable, people can and should be supported if they want to continue to isolate and keep themselves safe.
    Cillian De Gascun himself said we've probably over half a million people infected with covid(since the beginning) already in this country.... lockdown didn't work too well there did it?
    if only there was a way to measure if people have been infected previously we could actually make informed decisions (there bloody well is)

Theres an extreme level of ignorance shown in this post

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ohh God I just noticed the poll, that is the prime example of why incredibly complex and far reaching issues like this are not suitable for referendum. The poll answers the OP has used are so simplistic versus the real actual consequences each answer might actually have if it were to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭robbiezero

People that are fully vaccinated have literally just been told they can get back to normal.

Is that true?
    I thought even vaccinated people are still limited in the number of people they can meet indoors?

Not that anyone would pay any heed to that rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

People are idiots. If anything this pandemic has proved that.

You seem to be listening to a load of gossip and rumours, then think it is real. The title of this thread is to have a referendum, to carry out a referendum you will have to move millions of people in a short space of time to a confined area to cast a vote on how to stop the spread of a virus, a virus which spreads in the exact environment you have just moved the entire population into.

Do you spot any problem here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Putting public health policy in the hands of people who studied at the ‘school of hard knocks’ and got their PHDs from facebook and YouTube ..... sure what could go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Before I vote OP, can you tell us what you do for a living and your educational background?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yeh i read that yesterday..laughable really. when you think about it...being vaccinated makes little difference, you still carry the virus, you can still infect others. but yet you can go about your life hastle free.

People who have had the disease/virus or currently have the virus and are infectious should be in lockdown/quarantine. All healthy people who never had the virus should be going about there business as normal.

pepole need to wake up and demand answers..the true numbers of covid deaths and where the virus originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Before I vote OP, can you tell us what you do for a living and your educational background?

Full time mad bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, i don't believe in having this lockdown, i suggest we have a referendum on how we approach tackling Covid. with that, can we have a vote on what approach to take instead of being dictated to.
    option 4 is what i would go for, this would entail better cleaning in pubs . restroom attendants at busy times, limit numbers in pubs/nightclubs for the next year or two depending on the virus. less travelling around to pubs, book yer pub like a resturant or concert. basically a better public health approach to how pubs operate. i would open everything else up backto normal, but if someone was afraid of the virus or wanted to stay isolated then they can be given the supports to do so(e.g. elderly people with other health concerns)

What Lockdown? There is no longer a lockdown? There is certainly restrictions, indoor pub, restaurants, numbers attending sporting fixtures but certainly no lockdown, besides even if there was, I'm not sure a referendum would be practical, emergency Public Health measures will always trump any current or new constitutional legislation / Clauses /laws, they already have and will continue to do so.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Full time mad bastard.

I thought they were all made redundant in 2008?

Nozebleed wrote: »
    yeh i read that yesterday..laughable really. when you think about it...being vaccinated makes little difference, you still carry the virus, you can still infect others. but yet you can go about your life hastle free.

People who have had the disease/virus or currently have the virus and are infectious should be in lockdown/quarantine. All healthy people who never had the virus should be going about there business as normal.

pepole need to wake up and demand answers..the true numbers of covid deaths and where the virus originated.

Im sure on the local facebook group you can get ALL of these questions answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Dempo1 wrote: »
    What Lockdown? There is no longer a lockdown? There is certainly restrictions, indoor pub, restaurants, numbers attending sporting fixtures but certainly no lockdown, besides even if there was, I'm not sure a referendum would be practical, emergency Public Health measures will always trump any current or new constitutional legislation / Clauses /laws, they already have and will continue to do so.

what lockdown? are you for real. funny enough i feel the same about the virus. what virus?...i never got the virus,dont know anyone who did.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    what lockdown? are you for real. funny enough i feel the same about the virus. what virus?...i never got the virus,dont know anyone who did.

Can you explain what exactly is Locked Down at the moment? Serious question, I'm not doubting there are still some restrictions but Lockdowns? The country has re opened unless I've been missing something over the past month, the ludicrous comparison to "what Virus" is bizzare, I've asked a simple enough question of the OP, this Lockdown? What Lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a stupid question. The legislation and statutory instruments that frame the last year's pandemic restrictions aren't in the Constitution, so why would we need or want a referendum on them?

We elect a parliament every 5 years to legislate on our behalf, that's your referendum.

But then you already knew that because you're trolling. Multiple vexatious threads so far.

ineedeuro wrote: »
    People are idiots. If anything this pandemic has proved that.

You seem to be listening to a load of gossip and rumours, then think it is real. The title of this thread is to have a referendum, to carry out a referendum you will have to move millions of people in a short space of time to a confined area to cast a vote on how to stop the spread of a virus, a virus which spreads in the exact environment you have just moved the entire population into.

Do you spot any problem here?

Nope, it's summer, there's plans to have open air concert for 75000 people in other countries in Europe but we can't manage to form an orderly, socially distanced queue to vote ? Usual Irish uselessness, no offense to you but everything here is the art of how not to do things and faff around. Why would you need people to cram inside somewhere to vote? There's no marquees/canopies etc in the country that could be put up to do open air voting? could you not have the referendum over a couple of days and have a postal system also?

• Advertisement

Nope, it's summer, there's plans to have open air concert for 75000 people in other countries in Europe but we can't manage to form an orderly, socially distanced queue to vote ? Usual Irish uselessness, no offense to you but everything here is the art of how not to do things and faff around. Why would you need people to cram inside somewhere to vote? There's no marquees/canopies etc in the country that could be put up to do open air voting? could you not have the referendum over a couple of days and have a postal system also?

Why would you risk it just to please a couple of people? plus it costs million to run a referendum which to be honest is better spent elsewhere.

Plans for other countries? why do we care what other countries are doing. Look how fantastic the UK was doing till they got swamped again this week.

if you are so unhappy move away, based on your posts you are young so pack up and head off. I have done my travelling but if I was young I would have been gone 14 months ago to Aus....

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Can you explain what exactly is Locked Down at the moment? Serious question, I'm not doubting there are still some restrictions but Lockdowns? The country has re opened unless I've been missing something over the past month, the ludicrous comparison to "what Virus" is bizzare, I've asked a simple enough question of the OP, this Lockdown? What Lockdown?

I went into a store (interior decorating type) a week or two ago, there was a sign supposedly saying two per household only, missed it tbh.
    There was more than two of us. The person in the store mentioned it in passing but didn't make us leave some of the family outside. My OH was very upset it was brought up even, we didn't consider spending our money there in the end because of it. The other members of our family are smallies, we're we supposed to leave them in the car? Has covid killed all the paedophiles now on top of stamping out flu? That's a great virus. Has covid made it safe to leave your kids unattended in a car now? No lockdown/restrictions you say? Splitting hairs is all you are doing? Bloody farcical.
    Oh, we didn't go to the beach last weekend but had been planning to, any beach is over an hour away, if we had we would have been turned back. I WANT AN END TO ALL THIS CRAP AND IF YOU DON'T STAY AT HOME AND WRAP YOURSELF IN PLASTIC AND A GAS MASK

I went into a store (interior decorating type) a week or two ago, there was a sign supposedly saying two per household only, missed it tbh.
    There was more than two of us. The person in the store mentioned it in passing but didn't make us leave some of the family outside. My OH was very upset it was brought up even, we didn't consider spending our money there in the end because of it. The other members of our family are smallies, we're we supposed to leave them in the car? Has covid killed all the paedophiles now on top of stamping out flu? That's a great virus. Has covid made it safe to leave your kids unattended in a car now? No lockdown/restrictions you say? Splitting hairs is all you are doing? Bloody farcical.

Jesus Christ

Oh, we didn't go to the beach last weekend but had been planning to, any beach is over an hour away, if we had we would have been turned back. I WANT AN END TO ALL THIS CRAP AND IF YOU DON'T STAY AT HOME AND WRAP YOURSELF IN PLASTIC AND A GAS MASK

You seem like a reasonable person.

They should have threw the lot of you out of the shop.
    Do you have no consideration for the people working in the shop? did your wife consider them?

Why would you leave kids in car on own when two of you are shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny, I thought lockdown ended a number of weeks ago. I can leave my home, my town, my county, for any reason and go anywhere I like, for any reason.

OSI wrote: »
    Who the **** takes young kids "interior decorating type" shopping?

Who the hell goes into a store?

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Why would you risk it just to please a couple of people? plus it costs million to run a referendum which to be honest is better spent elsewhere.

Plans for other countries? why do we care what other countries are doing. Look how fantastic the UK was doing till they got swamped again this week.

if you are so unhappy move away, based on your posts you are young so pack up and head off. I have done my travelling but if I was young I would have been gone 14 months ago to Aus....

What couple of people? Currently 42% of people on this poll don't agree with covid. I know plenty who are sick of the restrictions and want it ended.

I'm not young, just immature I guess. It great you have time to be reading all my posts? Where do you find the time and what is your motivation?

It's great to come on boards to discuss things only to get attacks from the likes of you constantly. I won't be moving away from all my loved ones thank you very much, up yours buddy. I'd rather you move away with your rude statements.

As for what I care about other countries? There's a certain cohort in this country that love to cherry pick what they learn from our European neighbours. Tony holohan for example doesn't trust antigen testing cos he knows better than loads of other more advanced countries. We know better on health and homelessness I guess to because we learn nothing from others who have far better systems.

What do you mean agree with covid? I didn't know it was sentient and capable of thought.

• Advertisement

You seem quite perturbed to be honest, why are you bringing paedophilia into this discussion, really disturbing to be blunt, I've stated there are continuing restrictions but at the same time asked Where's the lockdown, a question that clearly escapes you. There is no current lockdown just restrictions, I've expressed zero opinion on this matter on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement