Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobody (Bob Odenkirk)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very entertaining movie that made me laugh out loud.
    Like a cross between John Wick and RED with the action and the odd bit of humour mixed in. Its shorter than John Wick and the fighting is a lot more realistic without the crazy choreographed moves.
    At the start it just fells more like some poor sod at the start had everything going against them and is a complete walkover. The first fight you even think the same but as it goes on a little more you start to see this guy is not what he seems and just is just warming up and just getting the muscle memory going. It get better as time goes on.

Recon Christopher Lloyd really enjoyed himself in this :D

Nobody 2 is being written

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Saw this tonight not knowing what to expect. Highly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Watched it tonight and loved it.

Had me smiling throughout, soundtrack was excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I saw it yesterday, I guess it's in the same category as John Wick and Baby Driver (although Baby Driver possesses more style).

There are a couple of jokes throughout. It avoids being too overly serious and the head of the Russian gangsters is massively cheesy. Some very innovative fight scenes and plenty of shoot 'em ups. It's a fun no brainer.

I actually didn't love the soundtrack, found it too silly at times.

If I had one criticism I didn't like the way it was implied that unless he was being violent he was somehow a beta male and therefore pathetic and not fulfilling his role. I think they over egged that particular pudding.

I forgot how loud the cinema is. There were only three other people there, blessed Covid :p

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I saw this tonight in the cinema. It's a complete romp of a movie but an enjoyable one. It was great to see Christopher Lloyd and Michael Ironside. I got a bit of a shock when I saw Michael ironside. I rewatched V back in May and whenever I think of Michael Ironside I just see Ham Tyler. I keep forgetting V is as old as I am. Bob Odenkirk was great, I would watch him in anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Same here, random person said it was worth a watch. Entertaining action film, with a little bit of subtlety too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Watched it again this evening. What a film !! So enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've not seen any of Tjahjanto's work (although I keep meaning to watch The Night Comes For Us on Netflix), but he's oft credited as one of the best "new" action directors around. Consider my interest piqued.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I found both Nobody and The Night Comes For Us a bit of a disappointment tbh, because while both had some decently crunchy action they spent too much time focused on a story that was pretty derivative, with characters that were barely 2-dimensional. Nobody in particular felt like such a waste of Odenkirk's screen presence and charm for me.

Like, a derivative story is fine if that's not the focus of the film - but I feel like The Raid really did set a higher bar for economy of storytelling in that regard, and I'm not sure why films produced and released after it haven't tried to follow in its footsteps more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Say what you will about John Wick, they had a clear vision about its world and how it trickled up into the violence and action; Nobody kinda struggled to split the difference between this half-baked middle-aged angst subplot & the let's kill all the bad guys carnage in the back half. The novelty of "Bob Odenkirk: Action Star" kinda wore off quick enough when it became clear he was this awesome force of nature & not something entirely more grounded or down-to-earth (so to speak).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I think that's it - it's a cheat to have the entire story be this under-done "sad dad" guff, only for the reveal to be that this was entirely his own choice. And the action, while good, was neither inventive nor dominant enough to feel like it was the real star of the piece.

I had a similar (though more pronounced) issue with The Man From Toronto - a messy and underbaked script that relied too much on Kevin Hart for its comedy. But the climactic fight scene and choreography was great, and if the rest of the film had tapped into that energy it could have been something really special...

Advertisement