Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm dying to know how many lives have been saved by erecting those pathetic saloon doors to the alcohol Isles.
    We won't know that for a while. Apparently the genius behind them is that little Timmy will see the doors, and have no idea what's behind them.
    He will go through life until he is 18 before he is aware he can enter the never never, but by that stage, the message will have got through loud and clear. Sectioned off area = BAD.
    He will never enter, nor ever want to drink.
    Job done.

To be honest, I have no real problem with them, it just seems that the idea behind them is daft. MUP however, being introduced into a country with some of the most expensive alcohol prices in Europe, to curb drinking, is stupid. And it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Suckit wrote: »

To be honest, I have no real problem with them, it just seems that the idea behind them is daft. MUP however, being introduced into a country with some of the most expensive alcohol prices in Europe, to curb drinking, is stupid. And it's illegal.

I agree, they are as stupid as the day is long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

We won't know that for a while. Apparently the genius behind them is that lit

How is it illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How is it illegal?

Not sure it's illegal but when scotland did it the EU courts did acknowledge it did not align with free market concept (basically price fixing) but at the same time they didn't want to be involved and left it to the scottish courts to give final say.

Doesn't matter now - it's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭dubrov

Minimum alcohol pricing has been coming for a long time.

Given its popularity, I doubt any politician wants to be seen to be too closely aligned with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

How is it illegal?

Was there not some EU restriction that MUP is illegal if the same effect can be delivered by taxation instead? Surely increasing excise would have been the more appropriate option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭dubrov

Was there not some EU restriction that MUP is illegal if the same effect can be delivered by taxation instead? Surely increasing excise would have been the more appropriate option?

The problem with excise is that it impacts the pubs as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Let's be honest.
    If it was a duty increase which would increase the price of every single alcoholic purchase people , despite what they say, would be even more incensed than they are about the mup.

I am against the mup but I'd be even more against a duty increase.

How is it illegal?
    I think when Scotland contested it, the EU saw no point in continuing it and told them to deal with it locally, as Brexit was going to be happening soon enough and any decision that they may have made would have been irrelevant by then.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/heard-the-one-about-eu-law-and-irish-minimum-alcohol-prices-1.2522678
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30712743.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/23/minimum-alcohol-price-in-scotland-could-breach-eu-law-court-rules
    https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2015/12/eu-court-rules-that-mup-breaches-trade-laws/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,297 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm dying to know how many lives have been saved by erecting those pathetic saloon doors to the alcohol Isles.

Precisely....Somebody who wants alcohol will get it...doors or any other deterrent won’t dissuade..

Hiking the price means say an alcoholic or regular drinker, spends 150 euros a week on alcohol which is give or take 550 a month on average say.

Is now spending almost say 700 euros a month..

The extra money isn’t a deterrent, because alcoholism is a disease and habitual regular drinkers have a psychological requirement for it, his / her body and mind are craving this chemical..this experience, this feeling..

So the extra money is money that they don’t spend or may not spend of family, health, wellbeing......

• Advertisement

Right, so it isn't illegal then.

Right, so it isn't illegal then.

Well it is, as there are alternatives, and it is only considered to not be illegal if there aren't any that are as or more effective.
    Also, MUP in itself is deemed illegal when it is pricing a product out of range of the less well off section of society, or any section.
    It would be up to the EU to decide conclusively, but as it stands, it is believed to be illegal.

Well it is, as there are alternatives, and it is only considered to not be illegal if there aren't any that are as or more effective.
    Also, MUP in itself is deemed illegal when it is pricing a product out of range of the less well off section of society, or any section.
    It would be up to the EU to decide conclusively, but as it stands, it is believed to be illegal.

Believed to be illegal? It either is or it isn't. The EU did not rule that it was illegal. It does violate competition rules but the 'greater good' is an accepted norm and as such it is able to circumvent the rules. Thus it has not been found to be illegal.

It is currently in operation in Scotland, so it cannot be illegal under EU law.

Believed to be illegal? It either is or it isn't. The EU did not rule that it was illegal. It does violate competition rules but the 'greater good' is an accepted norm and as such it is able to circumvent the rules. Thus it has not been found to be illegal.

It is currently in operation in Scotland, so it cannot be illegal under EU law.
    It is not as black and white as you like to think, if it was, it wouldn't have had to go through the EU courts to be told to go to Scottish courts for them to decide.
    "The case will now continue to the Scottish courts, and we look forward to a hearing in the new year to determine the outcome in this case."

David Frost, SWA chief executive, said: "The SWA always said European Union law issues were central to this case, and so it has proved. This settles EU law issues once and for all.

"The court has confirmed that minimum unit pricing is a restriction on trade, and that it is illegal to choose MUP [minimum unit pricing] where there are less restrictive ways of achieving the same end.

"The Scottish courts will now reflect on the implications of the ruling and all the evidence, before issuing a final judgement."

It is not as black and white as you like to think, if it was, it wouldn't have had to go through the EU courts to be told to go to Scottish courts for them to decide.

I'm not saying it is. But something is not illegal until it is. It hasn't been deemed to be illegal, and as such it isn't.

That may change in the future, but as of now it is has been found to be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think we can safely discount the Scottish example following Brexit.

MUP may well be illegal but that won't be decided until it is tested in court.

It is clear that it is not in the interests of either the on premises or off sales drinks trade to take a case.

That leaves it up to a consumer challenge which appears very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Speaking of scotland. Drug related deaths are up drastically the last 2 years. Any correlation there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Just saw the figures on the BBC news there with 1339 deaths (a new record) linked to drugs for 2020 in Scotland and this is the place that advocates of minimum alcolol unit pricing in Ireland are saying is an example we should be following. Just goes to show how much thought these so called advocates for public health have put into a policy that is so prejudiced against people on lower incomes. Minimum alcohol pricing will have no effect on people with good incomes and force those on low incomes to try other substances or cocktails of chemicals to get their fix. It's a disgrace that politicians on incomes such that this legislation has no effect on them can bring in such discrimination against those on low incomes. I have zero confidence a higher price for the cheapest alcohol will have any effect on alcoholics other than leaving them with less money to spend on other things they need to live. I could see some I know more likely to go without food at times rather than having a few cheap cans and a meal as they might have done if this legislation was not introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Young people will turn to drugs over alcohol. Alcohol Action Ireland and the likes think they'll be doing Saturday Fun Runs and attending mental health workshops.

You'd have to wonder what's next for Alcohol Action Ireland. Once they get this through, they'll need a new issue to keep them going. They'll have to justify that government/lotto money and the 250k spent on wages for 3 employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Reduce alcohol sale hours, this has been done in other countries. Something along the lines of no sale on Sundays and reduced hours such as 12PM to 8PM

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Or just sell it between 7pm and 8pm on the first Monday of each month and watch sales of illegal drugs rocket while no drink can be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Yes, yes, but we're saving lives from alcohol and we need to do something! Just shows that the world is unfair when these individuals get paid 6 digit salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

More bull https://www.thejournal.ie/retailers-move-to-selling-smaller-units-of-alcohol-ahead-of-minimum-pricing-charity-claims-5524149-Aug2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Eunan McKinney on RTE going on about how cheap it is to drink here..

Always love how RTE never ask him about us being amongst the most expensive in Europe for alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This ridiculous survey what put out by these AAI zealots. I don't know why they are given so much air time.

Exactly

The same basket of drink would be significantly cheaper in the vast majority of EU countries not to mind what it will be like after January with MUP

RTE couldn't point that out though

Wouldn't be on message

Eunan McKinney was even going on about ICU beds being taken up with alcohol issues that are needed more than ever with Covid

Well, on the last point he has a point. The amount of time, money and effort that is required to be spent by the state is massive in relation to alcohol and its effects. Be it crime, anti-social behaviour, domestic abuse, domestic issues, drink driving, injuries etc.

I don't for a second believe that MUP is the answer to any of that, would much prefer a 'levy' be placed on each unit such that regardless of price, there is a collection for the overall socital cost of alcohol. Of course, we actually already have that given we have excise duties which just disappear into the great tax bucket, but it would make far more sense to create a standalone levy and that targeted and properly funded projects are set up to help those that suffer from alcohol addiction or it effects.

My parents were in England recently

They brought me a few craft beers back

€1.28 for a 5% lager when converted back to €

Going to be €1.97 minimum here in January

53.91% increase for the same strength beer

• Advertisement

True overall but yes MUP won't have any effect on those areas

I wouldn't be surprised to see crime increase to pay for the extra money needed under MUP

The strange thing with MUP is that the increase will mainly go to the retailers not the exchequer

"it would make far more sense to create a standalone levy and that targeted and properly funded projects are set up to help those that suffer from alcohol addiction or it effects."

That's a proper health argument

As opposed to the FG rationale for supporting the pubs that is dressed up as health issue for MUP

Advertisement