Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

30-35 i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sami23 wrote: »
    Wonder do many lads chance it a few days early when the weather is there to get hay

Yea it will be fairly tempting when the weather is good. Wouldn’t expect them to grant an amnesty as they would need Brussels to sign off on that. But if they just looked away for a few days it would be great. In all fairness nore farning by calendar date is not practical in real life.
    The ifa should be playing the sustainability card on this one. Good weather means less plastic used which is good for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

I know it's been discussed over the years but what are people's preferred way of saving Hay (in good hay weather):

Day 1: Cut
    Day 2: Shake out (turn)
    Day 3: Turn
    Day 4: Leave alone
    Day 5: Turn
    Day 6: Row & Bale or Turn, Row & Bale

What do ye do or hope to do next week

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea it will be fairly tempting when the weather is good. Wouldn’t expect them to grant an amnesty as they would need Brussels to sign off on that. But if they just looked away for a few days it would be great. In all fairness nore farning by calendar date is not practical in real life.
    The ifa should be playing the sustainability card on this one. Good weather means less plastic used which is good for the environment.

Is the idea of July 1st to give the bird a chance to have reared their young and fled the nest etc?

Surely if cattle are grazing to any degree then the bird wouldnt be able to nest etc. Surely a better option there is give a window where a farmer closes ground for say 7 or 8 weeks the bird does their thing and then the farmer makes hay.

I think its not worth the risk of going in and doing a good shot as it would be faily obvious from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Question for the experts...A field that produces 50 silage bales(baled after 2days down) will produce how many hay bales?

Another question....is there any difference in nutritional value between a bale of hay and a bale of silage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

trg wrote: »
    Another question....is there any difference in nutritional value between a bale of hay and a bale of silage?

Yes all down to DMD, dry matter % and the weight of the bale. Know all three and then you can make a correct assumption. Last year got some cracking hay at the end of may and when testing the silage fired in a sample. Came back as 75%DMD,86%DM. Pure gold.

Cutting date will influence the quality greatly. A lot of the GLAS stuff will be low feeding value, due to late cutting date and the quantity of seed head and stem. And doesn't matter it's hay or. Silage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

Any point cutting today after the rain yesterday evening. Better wait till Saturday or even Sunday to let it dry standing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Better to cut it dry.

Kinda my thoughts also. Not around to cut tomorrow so end up Sunday then. Losing that day tomorrow could be the making or breaking of it. Might have to figure something out. Forecast is good but not scorching so it could be hard saved enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

893bet wrote: »
    Kinda my thoughts also. Not around to cut tomorrow so end up Sunday then. Losing that day tomorrow could be the making or breaking of it. Might have to figure something out. Forecast is good but not scorching so it could be hard saved enough I think.

Better option ...cut today and shake out Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

I know it's been discussed over the years but what are people's preferred way of saving Hay (in good hay weather):

Depends on weather of course but try to leave alone for day 2 ( sometimes day 3 also ) and then ted / turn until ready to bale. Could be 4 days in good weather stemmy crop, or a week other times

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Trying to save Hay in the West of Ireland is an awful lot of hassle and nerve wrecking.
    Would haylege not be a safer and easier option?

Easten wrote: »
    Trying to save Hay in the West of Ireland is an awful lot of hassle and nerve wrecking.
    Would haylege not be a safer and easier option?

Of course it would, but wouldn't you miss that smell of well saved hay?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Of course it would, but wouldn't you miss that smell of well saved hay?

Or the smell of that hay heating and turning to a bale of white mold :pac:

Depends on weather of course but try to leave alone for day 2 ( sometimes day 3 also ) and then ted / turn until ready to bale. Could be 4 days in good weather stemmy crop, or a week other times

Do you not think it would save better turned out on the flat rather than left in rows from mower for 2/3 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Going to knock another 8 acres for hay after lunch here, mower on for doing a bit of topping( round 2, got 20 acres at the start of June) . Some of it light so rather than wrapping it I will chance it. Always find that once it's cut, it's vital to get it turned out. Nice and slow with plenty revs for the first 2 times of turning. Gentle from then on. Cut an extra day and turned on the day it's cut is always worth it.

Do you not think it would save better turned out on the flat rather than left in rows from mower for 2/3 days ?

Should have said - cut with disc mower, mostly old meadow ground ( not leafy grass for hay here ) spread out over most of the ground. Different to big heavy rows cut with moco alright. Always done that way here , not saying right or wrong :D . Rain will run off better if you get some in day or 2 after cutting.

Should have said - cut with disc mower, mostly old meadow ground ( not leafy grass for hay here ) spread out over most of the ground. Different to big heavy rows cut with moco alright. Always done that way here , not saying right or wrong :D . Rain will run off better if you get some in day or 2 after cutting.

Ah yeah that makes big difference alright when cut with that type of mower.
    Mine will only be cut with rotary mower so I like to get it spread out the day after cutting

Going to knock another 8 acres for hay after lunch here, mower on for doing a bit of topping( round 2, got 20 acres at the start of June) . Some of it light so rather than wrapping it I will chance it. Always find that once it's cut, it's vital to get it turned out. Nice and slow with plenty revs for the first 2 times of turning. Gentle from then on. Cut an extra day and turned on the day it's cut is always worth it.

Is grass dry enough to cut after yesterday's rain already

I am getting itchy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mow away lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Tileman

893bet wrote: »
    I am getting itchy.....

Steady now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is grass dry enough to cut after yesterday's rain already

Not to be smart but walk the field. If your trousers are wet after walking it you’re better off leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I wouldn’t stick rigidly to a plan like that. Conditions would dictate.
    I’ve often turned it twice in a day on a real scorcher.

Knock it and if you have a Tedder turn ASAP.
    If it’s a hay bob leave it dry for a day.
    After that turn it until you stop pulling out green lumps.
    Weather and heaviness of the crop will dictate how long that takes

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Mower hooked up, tractor full of diesel, nice breeze and sunshine with the last hour, meadows nearly dry, I'll be knocking it all this evening.
    Feck that 87 euro a roll plastic, the coop can hang onto it for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I wouldn’t stick rigidly to a plan like that. Conditions would dictate.
    I’ve often turned it twice in a day on a real scorcher.

Knock it and if you have a Tedder turn ASAP.
    If it’s a hay bob leave it dry for a day.
    After that turn it until you stop pulling out green lumps.
    Weather and heaviness of the crop will dictate how long that takes
    Exactly

Not to be smart but walk the field. If your trousers are wet after walking it you’re better off leaving it

Just walked it there now. Wellies were wet after it but not soaked I suppose.
    There's a fair breeze but no sun today around here. Debating whether to cut this evening or tomorrow afternoon when it would be drier 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

There's a fair breeze but no sun today around here. Debating whether to cut this evening or tomorrow afternoon when it would be drier ��

Fortune favours the brave.. I'd say cut

There's a fair breeze but no sun today around here. Debating whether to cut this evening or tomorrow afternoon when it would be drier ��

Is it heavy? I would prefer it to be dry cutting, as harder to dry a wettish crop cut down. Weather will dictate so dont always get ideal conditions.

• Advertisement

Is it heavy? I would prefer it to be dry cutting, as harder to dry a wettish crop cut down. Weather will dictate so dont always get ideal conditions.

Ah it's fairly heavy but not mad heavy either I suppose.
    Think I'll chance it as I'd be kicking myself if I'm a day short at the other end :)

Advertisement