Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Digiweb have told me August. NBI said July. Not sure who to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Is there any evidence to suggest they've decided to run less DAs in parallel, and moved resources from the original set of DAs to a smaller number of them in order to get individual DAs built out faster?
    One could imagine it would simplify the administration (but obviously cut the rollout numbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Digiweb have told me August. NBI said July. Not sure who to believe.

The guys in NBI told me to believe the individual ISPs. Sounds like the customer care team has no idea what the engineering team has done, all over the place. NBI gives the operators 30 days notice before live dates so if Digiweb have not received it yet you're not getting it in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Just got an update for Cobh/ Middleton area pushed back to Feb 22 to May 22 , it was at Nov 21 to Feb 22 , so max it could be another 12 , just as well eir 5g has arrived and that takes some of the disappointment away .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just got an update
    Surveying has yet to commence in your area, therefore we are unable to provide an anticipated connection date at this time.

SW Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

just got an update

SW Donegal

If anyone fancies a visit to Cavan, they can try their luck asking questions at these events. No idea what the format is.

https://twitter.com/PaulineTullyTD/status/1407634184911400960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Even though I have been registered for updates forever I finally got an Email from NBI yesterday.

We estimate that the premises at Eircode xxxxxx will be connected between August 2021 - October 2021

*All dates and status updates are subject to change and are based on our current view of the rollout at this time.

Yippee

I'll let you know come October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Steve F wrote: »
    Even though I have been registered for updates forever I finally got an Email from NBI yesterday.

We estimate that the premises at Eircode xxxxxx will be connected between August 2021 - October 2021

*All dates and status updates are subject to change and are based on our current view of the rollout at this time.

Yippee

Haha, that's what I was originally!! Then moved to Oct 2021 to Dec 2021 and now pushed out to January 2022 - April 2022 so you've taken my original place :D

What area are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Haha, that's what I was originally!! Then moved to Oct 2021 to Dec 2021 and now pushed out to January 2022 - April 2022 so you've taken my original place :D

What area are you?

We've had similar here. Originally pencilled in for September/October this year but since yesterday it's been pushed back until April/July 22.
    I worked less than 500 MTRS from my house and KN networks are currently upgrading the fibre line into our lab so I asked them yesterday what the story is. The two lads in the van just laughed when I mentioned the estimated dates, the dates given have little or no connection to what's actually being rolled out. In blessington here they said it seems they are being pushed towards getting the most profitable estates done first rather than those who might need it most. Looks like another year waiting for us anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

clohamon wrote: »
    If anyone fancies a visit to Cavan, they can try their luck asking questions at these events. No idea what the format is.

Id say this is just a pop up stand like a sky ones in shopping centers, They will prob just be able to confirm if you can get it or not and nothing else. Say mostly for older people with no access at all at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

clohamon wrote: »

They will ask you your Eircode and tell people the information that's on the NBI website, that will be it. Most people aren't tracking like people on this thread and it will be news to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve F View Post

Yippee

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haha, that's what I was originally!! Then moved to Oct 2021 to Dec 2021 and now pushed out to January 2022 - April 2022 so you've taken my original place

What area are you?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm in Louth along L1143 Townland Stonetown
    Sorry for taking your place :) However,I wont be holding my breath...too many false dawns during all this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Speak Now wrote: »
    They will ask you your Eircode and tell people the information that's on the NBI website, that will be it. Most people aren't tracking like people on this thread and it will be news to them.

There mightn't be much news, but it depends what Pauline Tully and NBI mean by 'Cavan'

By my reckoning the county includes all or parts of the deployment areas (DAs) below, only two of which (*) have roll-out information.

Aucgnacliffe
    Bailieborough
    Bawnboy
    Carnaross
    Carrigallen
    Cavan*
    Clones*
    Cootehill
    Dowra
    Kilnaleck
    Kingscourt
    Lismacaffrey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

From yesterdays Business Post ( https://www.businesspost.ie/infrastructure/mccourt-firm-loaned-eur100m-to-subsidaries-tasked-with-nbp-project-1a856987 )
    No new rollout information but....

A company headed by David McCourt, the US businessman, has provided €100 million in funding to two subsidiaries responsible for delivering the state’s multibillion-euro National Broadband Plan.

Records filed with the Companies Registration Office (CRO) show that Metallah Ltd, established in August 2018 and domiciled in Ireland, advanced loans of €73.4 million and €24.6 million to NBI Infrastructure DAC and NBI Deployment DAC, respectively.

The unsecured loans carry an interest rate of 12 per cent per annum and are repayable on demand from January 2024, having been advanced in January 2020.

McCourt, who spearheaded the winning bid for the lucrative NBP contract, is a director and the chairman of Metallah.

He is also a director of Granahan McCourt Dublin (Ireland) Ltd, which was named the preferred bidder for the NBP contract in 2019, along with Walter Scott jr, a business partner of Warren Buffett.

The loan details offer the first glimpse of the funding arrangements put in place by McCourt and his partners to deliver the rural broadband project which has fallen significantly behind in its rollout of the project.

Fewer than 650 of 544,000 homes and businesses have been connected to date, while National Broadband Ireland (NBI) has slashed its targets for the number of homes the network will be made available to by the end of the year from 115,000 to between 50,000 and 60,000.

According to accounts filed with the CRO, Metallah received loans amounting to €98 million from its investors and received a further €2 million by selling shares in the company.

Metallah in turn issued the €100 million worth of loans to its two subsidiaries, NBI Infrastructure DAC and NBI Deployment DAC. It also bought 999,999 ordinary shares of €1 each in each of the two subsidiaries.

Metallah’s immediate parent is Granahan McCourt Dublin Limited, an Irish company. Metallah’s ultimate controlling party is Granahan McCourt Capital LLC, a company incorporated in the US.

Both McCourt and the previous government were heavily criticised prior to the contract being awarded after it emerged that the winning bidder would be contributing an initial equity investment of only €175 million to the multibillion-euro scheme.

All of the €175 million was to be provided by Tetrad Corporation, controlled by Scott jr, while Granahan McCourt Dublin (Ireland) Ltd, the preferred bidder, was to provide an additional €45 million in working capital.

The entire NBP is expected to cost about €5.7 billion, with the state providing a €2.7 billion subsidy. The remainder is to be accounted for by private investment from the winning bidder and commercial revenues produced by the network once it is operational.

Richard Bruton, the Fine Gael TD and former communications minister, told the Dáil in May 2019 that NBI’s revenue was likely to be “very small” in the early years of the rollout and “perhaps no more than €10 million by year two”.

The slow pace of the rollout to date and the low level of expected revenues in the early years of the plan is likely to create concerns over the ability of the two NBI subsidiaries to repay the loans to Metallah from 2024 onwards.

Asked whether this was a concern, and a series of other questions regarding the loans, a spokesman for NBI said its media team were off-site on Friday and therefore not in a position to offer a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Well finally I have seen life on this. NBI out Surveying my road in Kilkenny.
    I've sen them around the area in other spots but this was on my actual road, so I expect to be connected any minute now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

coolisin wrote: »
    Well finally I have seen life on this. NBI out Surveying my road in Kilkenny.
    I've sen them around the area in other spots but this was on my actual road, so I expect to be connected any minute now!!

Any minute? If only lol. We were surveyed Nov 2020. Expected connection is July to December 2022. Have you put your eircode into the webpage?

Any minute? If only lol. We were surveyed Nov 2020. Expected connection is July to December 2022. Have you put your eircode into the webpage?

Oh I was very much tongue in cheek.
    I've being following this thread for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

We're moving house in the next few days and have been scoping out broadband in the area. We rang the National Broadband Ireland helpline and they've said they can offer us LTE which will get us 200mbs.
    It's a €200 installation fee and then 50pm for 24 mth contract.

Just wondering has anyone any experience with this service and what's the customer service like etc?

The house is in Ardnacrusha in Co. Clare and there's no fibre available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Strange, NBI dont sell anything, and fibre is being done in Ardnacrusha at the moment so be strange if you are missed out, its preorder now for our locale
    We're moving house in the next few days and have been scoping out broadband in the area. We rang the National Broadband Ireland helpline and they've said they can offer us LTE which will get us 200mbs.
    It's a €200 installation fee and then 50pm for 24 mth contract.

Just wondering has anyone any experience with this service and what's the customer service like etc?

The house is in Ardnacrusha in Co. Clare and there's no fibre available.

BobMc wrote: »
    Strange, NBI dont sell anything, and fibre is being done in Ardnacrusha at the moment so be strange if you are missed out, its preorder now for our locale

I spotted pipes being laid, by NBI, on the road we're buying on over the weekend so the wife registered her details with the NBI site. She then got a call back and the guy then talked her thru the options. No fibre at present only LTE. He said they'd attach a receiver to the house and we work from that.

I'll have to do a bit more research so. I may not have all the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I spotted pipes being laid, by NBI, on the road we're buying on over the weekend so the wife registered her details with the NBI site. She then got a call back and the guy then talked her thru the options. No fibre at present only LTE. He said they'd attach a receiver to the house and we work from that.

I'll have to do a bit more research so. I may not have all the facts.
    Are you sure it's not imagine?

Are you sure it's not imagine?

Twas definitely a NBI sign adjacent to the road works. Sign was there Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The works very well may have been NBI.

Whoever you rang wasn't NBI and they have also zero to do with LTE.

NBI do not sell anything, once they have the network built, you will go through your regular ISP.

I'd bet Imagine too, maybe sneakily adding an NBI logo, Just wait its on the way, stay away from imagine

OK! Wife gave me the wrong info. She registered with the Regional Broadband site not the NBI site.
    Apologies!

I'll follow up on BobMcs post about the preorder.
    Thanks

If you see the NBI laying ducting I would not sign up to anything.
    If I was you I would get a three sim and a sim router, not tied to any contracts.

could be a sneaky tactic from some wisp to slap a sign up next to the works with a phone etc

EDIT seen the post above from the OP.
    Sneaky name from that company, you might catch a few people out with it.

Do, I did a pre-order with DigiWeb, welcome to the neighbourhood by the way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

QQ - SO the fibre is been rolled out to be enabled this year, its an "L" road that my house is on.
    The house doesn't have a phone line into it but it piped for a line to the edge of the road. The junction box is directly across from it, 3.2m to be exact.
    I was out in the car when they were pulling fiber down through that junction box and I asked them how they were going to get it into the house explaining that I had placed a pipe directly across from it.
    They said they don't do that.

So what are peoples experience of who gets the cable across the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

If it's a boreen that nobody will mind/notice, you could dig the road and put a conduit in to the correct point and you might get away with it. I could probably get away with it where I am for example.

On an 'L' road that wide, I suspect they'll have to erect a pole to bring it overhead to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I live about 4 miles out a country road and currently they seem to be working backwards along the road towards town. Currently Eir have fibre coming out of town for about a mile. Will the NBI just be extending the Eir lines or will they be completely seperate?

Advertisement