Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Does this mean he will be able to collect a tour pension? Or is this just one of the 5 years in total that are needed?

2017 - 25 events
    2018 - 28 events
    2019 - 27 events
    2020 - 11 events
    2021 - 12 events (including tomorrows start) - There's 2 events opposite the Open and a WGC event so he would get in to those to get to 14 at least. It's been inferred that this week will mean he gets 15. Im not sure what the last event he gets in is, its possibly The Wyndham or maybe they include The Zurich Classic when he withdrew due to covid.

Maybe they gave a derogation in 2020 due to reduced schedule due to covid?

That would be his 5 years 15 plus events in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Speak Now wrote: »
    That would be his 5 years 15 plus events in the bag.

Massive for him to know his pension is taken care of. Hopefully this milestone will herald an improvement mindset for him moving forwards.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

“This was an especially important Monday for Seamus Power for a pretty unknown reason: one of the ways a player can collect on their Tour pension is to make at least 15 starts in each of five seasons. Power has just 11 starts this year, and he knows he will get into three more events. On Monday he will attempt to qualify for the Rocket Mortgage Classic and get to the magic number of 15.”

https://firepitcollective.com/monday-qualifiers-musings/

The Rocket Mortgage Classic is on from 1-4 July, so the Monday qualifier for that would be next Monday, June 28th. So what this guy is saying is that by qualifying for the Travelers, Power has a chance for start 15 at next week's qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

Zaph wrote: »
    The Rocket Mortgage Classic is on from 1-4 July, so the Monday qualifier for that would be next Monday, June 28th. So what this guy is saying is that by qualifying for the Travelers, Power has a chance for start 15 at next week's qualifier.

Yes, Seamus is already guaranteed two more starts in regular season events and if he qualifies for the Rocket Mortgages that will take him to 15 starts for the season. Please god he goes well at the Travelers and he’s celebrating instead of having to go and tee it up for the qualifier.

It must be very hard to go from a tour event on a Sunday with cameras, crowds and pressure to switch back to a different mindset on a Monday where you’re playing real journeymen and that’s not even bringing the travel into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

4 birdies and a bogey in his first 6 holes

• Advertisement

Seamus is flying it so far. 4 under through 11 holes. Great to see him going well, even if it is only round 1.

His putting is letting him down. Everything else seems to be going great

Seamus lost 1.6 shots vs the field with his putting. His iron play was meant have been immaculate. For so long his driving was the part of his game that was letting him down, he seems to have fixed that over the last 3 or 4 months.

I’m going to call it now, this is it. This is his week and the week where all those tenners and twenties are coming back to me. I’ve been following him for the last 5 or 6 years and he’s definitely good enough, he just needs to believe himself and from the little bits and pieces of coverage we get to see of him he knows himself he’s close. Cmon Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Finished 4 under for his round. Tied 9th, good start!

A solid start to Seamus’ second round, -1 after 9 and he started on the 10th. A couple of good battling par saves in his early holes before settling and has had a few looks for birdie. Hopefully can knock a few birdies in on the back and put himself in great shape for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

3 under for the round now , only one off the lead, very encouraging

If Rory could hit his wedges like Seamus! A nice birdie birdie finish today. Seems to have putted much better

No 3 putts today and a lovely 67. Only dropped shot of the day came at his 12th, I think he shanked his second shot. I didn’t see any of his play today, only following it online but a great round and puts him right in the mix for the weekend. It has to be said, his form the last 3 or 4 months has been brilliant and I’m going to back up my bold claim from last night and say this is it - this is his week.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

Motivator wrote: »
    No 3 putts today and a lovely 67. Only dropped shot of the day came at his 12th, I think he shanked his second shot. I didn’t see any of his play today, only following it online but a great round and puts him right in the mix for the weekend. It has to be said, his form the last 3 or 4 months has been brilliant and I’m going to back up my bold claim from last night and say this is it - this is his week.

That’s brilliant. Hopefully nobody will go well past -8 in the later starters. Great way to finish the round; let’s hope he can stay relaxed over the weekend.

Scrabbel wrote: »
    That’s brilliant. Hopefully nobody will go well past -8 in the later starters. Great way to finish the round; let’s hope he can stay relaxed over the weekend.

I know a friend of his which is what sparked my interest in him years ago. He had a fairly bad injury towards the end of 2020 and had surgery. He still wasn’t fully fit when he came back playing this year and he only started to get his game back around April. Would love to see him out tomorrow with a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

His confidence must be high after his last few competitions. Its great that he's actually looking to contend over the weekend rather than scrapping to make/miss the cut. A high finish would be huge for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He's been playing well for a while now, great chance for him to get a few high finishes and strike while the iron is hot. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Can he do it on the weekend that is the only question? A lot of golfers would love to be able to get out of the blocks as well as Seamus but time and again he gets into these positions and tumbles down out of the top 25.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Can he do it on the weekend that is the only question? A lot of golfers would love to be able to get out of the blocks as well as Seamus but time and again he gets into these positions and tumbles down out of the top 25.

Seamus problem is he makes a mistake and instead of leaving it behind him he seems to carry it with him and that inevitably leads to another mistake soon after. The big names and prolific winners don’t seem to do that and can move on quickly. His Achilles heal is his head, he’s got every shot in the book and all the ability in the world. How I can see Seamus winning is finishing an hour before the last group on a Sunday and posting a score the others can’t match. Any type of win will do though. I said it the other night, I really think this is his week. He’s been playing seriously good golf for the last 2 or 3 months, he needs to capitalise on it now.

There’s big names and major winners on the leaderboard but some of them haven’t won for a few years so they’ll be as nervous as he is trying to close this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

I know a friend of his which is what sparked my interest in him years ago. He had a fairly bad injury towards the end of 2020 and had surgery. He still wasn’t fully fit when he came back playing this year and he only started to get his game back around April. Would love to see him out tomorrow with a big name.

That puts his performances in even better light. Let’s not forget, most golfers seem to need a bit of experience of what it’s like being at the business end on Sunday with big money on offer before they get comfortable with it. He’ll do it before too long. Different situation but I remember people constantly labelling Harrington as not having what it takes for big wins but ignoring the fact that his consistency was excellent.

• Advertisement

Scrabbel wrote: »
    That puts his performances in even better light. Let’s nit forget, most golfers seem to need a bit of experience of what it’s like being at the business end on Sunday with big money on offer before they get comfortable with it. He’ll do it before too long. Different situation but I remember people constantly labelling Harrington as not having what it takes for big wins but ignoring the fact that his consistency was excellent.

Yes I think it was his wrist or his elbow that required surgery. Because he can’t really afford to take time off and miss tournaments he had to come straight back into tournament play so he was effectively treating tournament golf as practice which isn’t ideal when you’re up against it anyway. I saw an interview where he said he really only felt fully fit around the time he got Covid which knocked him back another few weeks again. Since he’s come back from Covid he hasn’t done a whole lot wrong and his scoring has improved every time he’s competed.

A bogey - bogey start for Seamus. Has gone from 2 behind the leaders to 5 behind in the space of 15 minutes. Friends of mine are there, from the videos they’re posting on social media it’s very busy and very loud so maybe some nerves for Seamus but plenty of time to turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭greyday

A bogey - bogey start for Seamus. Has gone from 2 behind the leaders to 5 behind in the space of 15 minutes. Friends of mine are there, from the videos they’re posting on social media it’s very busy and very loud so maybe some nerves for Seamus but plenty of time to turn it around.

Hope it goes well for him but he could be CEO of a bottling plant if he decides to change career.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

From shot tracker it looks like he shanked his approach shots on the first two holes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's pressure for yeah!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Shocking start. Plenty of time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Opens with 3 bogeys.. Not the start we or he hoped for.. Down to 45th now

Three shots gone in 3 holes. Awful start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

5-5-5-5, +4 for the day, and sliding backwards

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, his head must be spinning.

Advertisement