Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Dropped pin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/TM8icCFGn9AqpSw46
    Here at the church in baldoyle guy came around me and went left as i was going straight , thankfully i was aware this may happen and had slowed sufficiently, he had no cop on. Also in swords a woman coming from opposite direction decided to turn right in front of me before realising i may actually hit her, she decides to stop in front of me and wave apologies, while the car behind her tried not to rear end her. Comical all morning and tossers everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Here at the church in baldoyle guy came around me and went left as i was going straight

The more common issue at this particular junction is the muppets waiting to turn right (towards Portmarnock) just go for it and cut across in front of you when you are going straight on. This happens both in the car and on the bike:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

The more common issue at this particular junction is the muppets waiting to turn right (towards Portmarnock) just go for it and cut across in front of you when you are going straight on. This happens both in the car and on the bike:mad:

Have experienced both too. Zero patience junction!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Almost came a cropper last night, coming down Tallaght bypass, stopped at lights at Lucan Road junction. 4 of us , 2 and 2 proceed on green light ,keeping an eye on the 2 merging lanes on the left, only one car coming to merge ,she was in the right (outer lane) she slows up to allow us to cross over to hard shoulder and w her intention to proceed on our outside. I was on the left of the front 2 and took another look left to make sure it was safe to proceed and suddenly an Audi A5 undertook her on the inside lane as i was starting to move across. Lad behind me said the Audi driver simply didnt see us and was moving out across the car that was allowing us to move in. Probably a foot between us at closest point :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

secman wrote: »
    Lad behind me said the Audi driver simply didnt see us and was moving out across the car that was allowing us to move in.
    I would actually doubt that. You can't miss seeing four people on bikes on a wide open road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I would actually doubt that. You can't miss seeing four people on bikes on a wide open road.

Easily done if you’re looking at a phone.

More like he didn't look right at all, we were visible over the car to his right, he was in a fierce hurry,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, am moving this discussion to the hi-vis megathread, bear with me in case things go slightly awry until all posts are moved.

the discussion can be continued here

My near miss on N81 by utter wreckless driving has been removed and not a mention of a highviz :;)
    Found it :
    This morning heading out n81 towards Brittas, a van was parked on left side of road heading out, a mere bit of layby so he was blocking say 1/2 of my side of the road, i checked all was clear and moved out to pass it. There was an oncoming Truck and lo and behold a thick and dangerous bitch proceeded to overtake the truck and came on to my side of the road as i was passing the parked van. Utter dangerous and wreckless driving, she deserves her licence to be cancelled for good. There was about 6 inches of a pass, Fcukwit of a driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gerrygman

secman wrote: »
    My near miss on N81 by utter wreckless driving has been removed and not a mention of a highviz :;)
    Found it :
    This morning heading out n81 towards Brittas, a van was parked on left side of road heading out, a mere bit of layby so he was blocking say 1/2 of my side of the road, i checked all was clear and moved out to pass it. There was an oncoming Truck and lo and behold a thick and dangerous bitch proceeded to overtake the truck and came on to my side of the road as i was passing the parked van. Utter dangerous and wreckless driving, she deserves her licence to be cancelled for good. There was about 6 inches of a pass, Fcukwit of a driver.

cameras are the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Car wearing hi-vis car close pass today. Past me closely while oncoming car on country road in Ardgillan area Balbriggan. Note the driver turned left into Ardgillan park 50m on, why oh why pass! Hi-vis did nothing for their driving manners. Totally inconsiderate. I'll be honest I put a audio overlay on it as I was cursing like a builder!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was out with a few earlier. Some dope with a cardboard placard on the side of the road took a few out. Stayed upright just about...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need to remove everything except the video ID from between the youtube tags in order to embed a youtube video:

you need to remove everything except the video ID from between the youtube tags in order to embed a youtube video:

Thanks, I always mess that up.

somewhere around here this morning, a woman driving a large SUV pulling a horsebox with two horses in it, decided to overtake me. to be fair, she pulled completely into the oncoming lane to do so, but the flaw in her plan was there was oncoming traffic.
    i shot my hand out as a warning, and i think she came close to a complete stop, the chap coming the opposite direction probably shaved off more than half his speed. she gave me a cheery thank you wave as she did pass a couple of hundred metres later; i'd have been too embarrassed to react that way if i was her. maybe she didn't see too much wrong in what she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some wingnut decided to overtake three cars on a continuous white line on a narrow section of the N81 - I was cycling dublin to waterford on Friday. First time I've been close passed by a car coming against me - even after I pulled in he passed within a few feet, well over 100kph. What an utter spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Some wingnut decided to overtake three cars on a continuous white line on a narrow section of the N81 - I was cycling dublin to waterford on Friday. First time I've been close passed by a car coming against me - even after I pulled in he passed within a few feet, well over 100kph. What an utter spa.

Happened me before. Not a pleasant experience at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Happened me before. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Have had that too with no hard shoulder either side. Not nice

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Camera time and get to gardai, if they fail to proceed its viral tictok time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Overtaken by a car today, which in turn was overtaken by motorbike while abreast of me, both at a decent lick, and on a solid white line. The car was giving me decent room until it realised the motorbike was overtaking it, and it came pretty close when it swerved in reaction.

Having calmed down after that, was descending on an R road, being pretty careful now I'm getting older. Bad bend with no viz and oncoming was one of those super sized tractors with big trailer gunning it. Hit the brakes hard, had max a metre between the machinery and the verge, managed to stay upright, but only just.

In the latter one I reckon 10 years ago I would have been bombing it and it would not have ended well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Coming down off the Wicklow gap towards laragh. Was hitting maybe 70km/h when a Peugeot on the other side of the road decided to overtake another car.

Unfortunately for me the Peugeot decided to do this about 150m in front of me and didn't have the acceleration to complete the manoeuvre before I got there.

So I'm left with a car in both lanes travelling at roughly the same speed as me and I've nowhere to go. Luckily there was a bit of a layby which I just about made before the cars came passed which I was able to move into and back out of.

Soon after I got passed by a motorbike just before the lower car park. No sooner had they cut in front of me, they then jammed on for the upcoming left hander, I had nowhere else to go but up the inside of them which they weren't best pleased about. I just hadn't the heart to start arguing. At that stage I just wanted to get home.

GoPro ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Christ.
    Some days I wonder why I follow this thread.
    Both the last 2 posts sound nerve wracking

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went out earlier for a quick spin to test a new casette and wore my "Stayin’ Alive at 1.5" jersey which I rarely wear.
    I was conscious of the usual impatient morning traffic but what I noticed was that not once did anyone come near me or overtake with oncoming traffic as would normally happen.
    Now, to be fair, one ride doesn't prove much but it will be interesting to repeat the exercise a few times and see if this morning was a one off or did the jersey make drivers think twice.
    http://www.safecyclingireland.org/store/
    https://spin11.com/shop/category/stayin-alive-at-1-5-safe-cycling-apparel-29#!/Stayin-Alive-at-1-5-short-sleeve-jersey-2020/p/187290367/category=23622817

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You occasionally see people over here wearing the POLITE high viz gear, sometimes with the checkerboard sections on it as well. There are a few different designs.

I suspect that it does work because they are similar enough to the Police design that it makes you think for an extra half second that maybe it is police. If it gets people who are fully aware that they are not police to do a double take then it's doing it's job. There will obviously be some idiots who would take offence at being "tricked" into thinking that you are trying to impersonate an officer and try and run you off the road still, but they would do that anyway so no difference. Getting people think for a moment that it might be and then they give more space means that it's working and then with any luck they realise that the should give others more space also even if they are not wearing high viz.

You just need to think of an alternative word to Garda that could be stuck on similar gear, although the word police is probably close to embedded in the subconscious through TV and movies that Polite should still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

robinph wrote: »
    You just need to think of an alternative word to Garda

I think I saw "GRADE A" on a motorbiker.

i think some people have been pulled over in the UK for wearing those 'POLITE' vests - because as it *is* an attempt to look like a police officer on first glance, it could run afoul of impersonation laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I went out earlier for a quick spin to test a new casette and wore my "Stayin’ Alive at 1.5" jersey which I rarely wear.
    I was conscious of the usual impatient morning traffic but what I noticed was that not once did anyone come near me or overtake with oncoming traffic as would normally happen.
    Now, to be fair, one ride doesn't prove much but it will be interesting to repeat the exercise a few times and see if this morning was a one off or did the jersey make drivers think twice.
    http://www.safecyclingireland.org/store/
    https://spin11.com/shop/category/stayin-alive-at-1-5-safe-cycling-apparel-29#!/Stayin-Alive-at-1-5-short-sleeve-jersey-2020/p/187290367/category=23622817

I'm living abroad so I wonder is there a way to order one with the design "flipped". I'm gonna shoot them an email.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Visit Lake Garda was the one that used to float around, with the "Visit Lake" bit written in smaller writing on top of Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i think some people have been pulled over in the UK for wearing those 'POLITE' vests - because as it *is* an attempt to look like a police officer on first glance, it could run afoul of impersonation laws.

I saw something before that it started with horse riders. In reality its more a brain trick than a serious attempt at Police Impersonation

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

silverharp wrote: »
    I saw something before that it started with horse riders. In reality its more a brain trick than a serious attempt at Police Impersonation

There is a specific offence of impersonation of a Garda, so I'd be cautious.

Advertisement