Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer: Total War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh, I don't know the lore at all. Have you preordered the game?

I was expecting the trailer for the new DLC to have dropped by now. Wonder what's going on there. Probably don't want to damage the hype over WH3.

I only know what's discussed on Reddit really, and the odd trip down the lore hole in the Warhammer Fantasy wiki. I wasn't into at all when Warhammer Fantasy was a thing.

The DLC trailer usually comes out about 2 weeks before the launch, and they've mentioned that it'd be some time early July for the full DLC trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gbear wrote: »
    I only know what's discussed on Reddit really, and the odd trip down the lore hole in the Warhammer Fantasy wiki. I wasn't into at all when Warhammer Fantasy was a thing.

The DLC trailer usually comes out about 2 weeks before the launch, and they've mentioned that it'd be some time early July for the full DLC trailer.

Thanks. Working from home can't be helping.

My Kroq Gar campaign is picking up at long last so I've time. Thought the trailers came out more than a fortnight before. Still, not long either way.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks. Working from home can't be helping.

My Kroq Gar campaign is picking up at long last so I've time. Thought the trailers came out more than a fortnight before. Still, not long either way.

The tier 4 Stegos are insanely good, just in case you haven't gotten any yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The tier 4 Stegos are insanely good, just in case you haven't gotten any yet.

Very true. My economy is approaching the point where I can have mixes with them and Saurus Warriors. The Greenskins just launched yet another Waagh which is a severe drain on me but I've most of their territory now along with Karaz-a-Karak. Annoying as Kroq Gar starts near so much inhospitable territory.

I'm a lot further behind at turn 150 than I'd like and I've had to resort to save-scumming which I hate but I'm getting there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Looks like the Khorne roster has been revealed:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-khorne-roster-reveal/

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Was watching LegendofTotalWar's stream recently and he says something big is coming. Something worth being hyped over. Hoping we get a trailer today for the DLC at least as it's out in a fortnight.

Edit: Sigh.

kw3cprrn2l871.jpg

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Apparently you can forget about Araby. Not going to happen.

Potatoeman wrote: »

Saw that. Shame but I suppose we can't get everything.

H. H. Asquith

I really do wonder what the thing is about that.

I understand there might be a sort of flandersisation issue with lampooning Arabic people - something like Command and Conquer Generals had a problem with that, where you had an Arab GLA faction that was a bunch of terrorists, who used chemical weapons and suicide bombs.

But using historical and mythical arabic units would seem to be perfectly fine. A roster of Janissaries, Mamelukes, Berber Cavalry, War Elephants, alongside Djinns, Efreets, and such would seem completely reasonable and not at all potentially problematic. As long as you're not using an analog to the prophet Mohamed or Islam, I don't see how anyone could take issue with it.

Trailer at 3pm.

• Advertisement

I really do wonder what the thing is about that.

I understand there might be a sort of flandersisation issue with lampooning Arabic people - something like Command and Conquer Generals had a problem with that, where you had an Arab GLA faction that was a bunch of terrorists, who used chemical weapons and suicide bombs.

But using historical and mythical arabic units would seem to be perfectly fine. A roster of Janissaries, Mamelukes, Berber Cavalry, War Elephants, alongside Djinns, Efreets, and such would seem completely reasonable and not at all potentially problematic. As long as you're not using an analog to the prophet Mohamed or Islam, I don't see how anyone could take issue with it.

I doubt it's that. I think that there are factions that just aren't worth the dev time to add. Adding a new faction must be headmelting when it comes to balancing mechanics and units, not to mention adding more stuff to the campaign map.

I don't know anything about Araby but there's not much there to suggest they're terribly interesting relative to the Ogre Kingdoms, Dogs or War or possibly Nippon.

H. H. Asquith

I doubt it's that. I think that there are factions that just aren't worth the dev time to add. Adding a new faction must be headmelting when it comes to balancing mechanics and units, not to mention adding more stuff to the campaign map.

I don't know anything about Araby but there's not much there to suggest they're terribly interesting relative to the Ogre Kingdoms, Dogs or War or possibly Nippon.

I wouldn't agree with that. It's an entire different mythology and history to draw from. More interesting than the Empire or Bretonnia, certainly.

There's no upper limit on factions in the series. I'm sure they'd sell as well as anyone else.

I wouldn't agree with that. It's an entire different mythology and history to draw from. More interesting than the Empire or Bretonnia, certainly.

There's no upper limit on factions in the series. I'm sure they'd sell as well as anyone else.

There probably is some form of limit on what they can add. The map can only get so big.

Don't get me wrong. I've these games and I've all the DLC. I may even preorder WH3 but if they've gone so far as to confirm Araby won't be appearing then I'd say that's it. I think it could have been a cool addition to have a faction based on the Arab world and I'd have paid for it as well but it is what it is.

H. H. Asquith

I think it’s more GW than CA. If it’s more trouble than it’s worth then they’ll just cut it and they don’t want the hassle, if they then have old models that need to be updated or might be considered offensive then just bury it.

I think it’s more GW than CA. If it’s more trouble than it’s worth then they’ll just cut it and they don’t want the hassle, if they then have old models that need to be updated or might be considered offensive then just bury it.

I had a google and I just don't see anything that makes them more worthy of addition than several other factions we might never see. Flying carpets were the only thing that stood out. I love the aesthetic they have but they're a bit lacking elsewhere.

H. H. Asquith

There probably is some form of limit on what they can add. The map can only get so big.

Don't get me wrong. I've these games and I've all the DLC. I may even preorder WH3 but if they've gone so far as to confirm Araby won't be appearing then I'd say that's it. I think it could have been a cool addition to have a faction based on the Arab world and I'd have paid for it as well but it is what it is.

I’m wondering if we’ll see Albany, thought we’d already have dogs of war without Ogres. Also thought Nipon was in for sure.

I had a google and I just don't see anything that makes them more worthy of addition than several other factions we might never see. Flying carpets were the only thing that stood out. I love the aesthetic they have but they're a bit lacking elsewhere.

Camel riders and Genes too. I think it’s more the aesthetic for some people.

I’m wondering if we’ll see Albany, thought we’d already have dogs of war without Ogres. Also thought Nipon was in for sure.

Albany? Never heard of this faction.
    Camel riders and Genes too. I think it’s more the aesthetic for some people.

Camel riders sound a bit meh but genies could be cool.

H. H. Asquith

Big oof from the new trailer.

Gorgons (giant four armed minortaurs), Jabberslythes (flying abominations with acid blood), Coatls (giant flying magic bird-lizards) and Troglodons (sightless acid-spitting spinosaurus') all included.

Albany? Never heard of this faction.

Camel riders sound a bit meh but genies could be cool.

Albany are Celtic. There are mods already for both. One has a few like chaos dwarfs and hobbits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ogres kingdom looking more likely now.

Huh. So is Taurox getting Chaos Ogre units as well? Or was that just teasing the Ogres?

Praise the Dark Gods. They've sorted the issue where enemies would just recolonise everything after you raise settlements.

As per the livestream, they've added a mechanic where you can build a Herdstone in a conquered settlement, and then can, after gaining points from razing adjacent settlements, perform a ritual that prevents the ruins from being resettled until the central Herdstone settlement is destroyed.

A really good solution to the problem, without having to totally retool them and stop them being a horde.

Unfortunately, I don't think Warriors of Chaos will have something similar.

Praise the Dark Gods. They've sorted the issue where enemies would just recolonise everything after you raise settlements.

As per the livestream, they've added a mechanic where you can build a Herdstone in a conquered settlement, and then can, after gaining points from razing adjacent settlements, perform a ritual that prevents the ruins from being resettled until the central Herdstone settlement is destroyed.

A really good solution to the problem, without having to totally retool them and stop them being a horde.

Unfortunately, I don't think Warriors of Chaos will have something similar.

I'd to abandon a Norsca campaign for literally this exact reason. Thanks for the update.

H. H. Asquith

I'd to abandon a Norsca campaign for literally this exact reason. Thanks for the update.

They've mentioned that Norsca are the next in need of a revamp after Beastmen, so hopefully as part of the update there'll be something for them.

At the very least, it's good to see they've recognised the problem. If that's done it'll presumably be sorted eventually.

https://youtu.be/64WDo22TNN8

Video of the mod here.

rqkx292zyl871.png

-From the DLC FAQ

So we're getting a Dwarf and Beastmen FLC Lords, and those Ogres are part of a mercenary mechanic being added to the game.

So perhaps this is how they're adding the Dogs of War.

They've mentioned that Norsca are the next in need of a revamp after Beastmen, so hopefully as part of the update there'll be something for them.

At the very least, it's good to see they've recognised the problem. If that's done it'll presumably be sorted eventually.

It'd be tragic to just leave WH2 with one single race in need of a touch up. I'm hoping they get something as they're quite a cool, if underpowered faction.

H. H. Asquith

It'd be tragic to just leave WH2 with one single race in need of a touch up. I'm hoping they get something as they're quite a cool, if underpowered faction.

I definitely think we'll eventually see DLC for them, as we've had with Wood Elves and Beastmen.

There's a lot of Chaos characters (including Wolfrik and Sigvald) who are Norscan, so there's plenty of stuff there, although I think they might need to do a bit of fiddling to get the requisite number of units.

They could add Chaos-marked marauder units, which would be cool. They could add a few more Trolls (not least because Throgg is the King of the Trolls and only has access to 2 types), some Fimir, some kind of Norscan Warrior hero, and perhaps a Lord-level caster as the generic DLC lord type.

But that's at least 2 years away if they were going with that. Hopefully they get at least some love before then. To say nothing of Warriors of Chaos, who are now the worst race in the game by an enormous margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

I definitely think we'll eventually see DLC for them, as we've had with Wood Elves and Beastmen.

There's a lot of Chaos characters (including Wolfrik and Sigvald) who are Norscan, so there's plenty of stuff there, although I think they might need to do a bit of fiddling to get the requisite number of units.

They could add Chaos-marked marauder units, which would be cool. They could add a few more Trolls (not least because Throgg is the King of the Trolls and only has access to 2 types), some Fimir, some kind of Norscan Warrior hero, and perhaps a Lord-level caster as the generic DLC lord type.

But that's at least 2 years away if they were going with that. Hopefully they get at least some love before then. To say nothing of Warriors of Chaos, who are now the worst race in the game by an enormous margin.

WH2 DLC is done after this. It will all be WH3, which may include WH2 races but the main Chaos update will be done in the WH3 base game.

Advertisement