Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, I've gotten over my Murph annoyance. He was genuinely pretty funny today and he's so much more witty and charming than any of the OTB characters. They all sounded the same.

They made me think of a bunch of corporate types having clearly defined bants on a company night out, but who'd eventually turn toxic with a load of booze in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Ken should definitely be allowed to bring up the 2007 Galway county final whenever he wants.

Hilarious how he deflty weaved it into the conversation and it took a moment for it to register with Murph, cue his outrage for bringing it up yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Do people really enjoy the over the top commentators shouting into the mic clips they and other podcasts have been playing. Never liked commentators doing that and certainly not listening to them all again and again.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Do people really enjoy the over the top commentators shouting into the mic clips they and other podcasts have been playing. Never liked commentators doing that and certainly not listening to them all again and again.

The Swiss one - "yah?.... Yah!! YAAHHH!!" - was hilarious: you could tell it was just a guy genuinely losing his mind in the moment. And I got a chuckle out of the audio of the Spanish commentator just flatly and quietly saying "gol" after the Croatia equaliser, but, in general, it's a bit overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Should of stayed on News talk except for Murph the unfunniest man on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Level 42 wrote: »
    Should of stayed on News talk except for Murph the unfunniest man on the planet.

have

Top notch contribution otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They're so far removed from OTB's current lot that it's mad to think they were ever on Newstalk, being on 4/5 nights a week we were blessed back in the day. Always Looked forward to it when I was doing some driving or scuttering about at home.

Could say the same but to a lesser extent about Wolly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What did Ken say Luis Enrique had, huevos? :confused:
    I was sure it was gonna be 'cojones'

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

What did Ken say Luis Enrique had, huevos? :confused:
    I was sure it was gonna be 'cojones'

huevos = eggs

siblers wrote: »
    They're so far removed from OTB's current lot that it's mad to think they were ever on Newstalk, being on 4/5 nights a week we were blessed back in the day. Always Looked forward to it when I was doing some driving or scuttering about at home.

Could say the same but to a lesser extent about Wolly

I used to listen to them on newstalk a lot. Then stuck with OTB when they left, and only signed up to Second Captains last year. Now that I'm listening to SC every day I simply cannot go back to OTB. I find them so painful.

I do like Joe Molloy, the rest not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Beersmith wrote: »

There's good and bad. I'm very much not a fan of the American lad they have clips of. Sounds so forced, it's really not for me.

Simon Kuper was a great guest yesterday. He's a very rare fixture these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Arghus wrote: »

Loved his proper dutch pronouncement of the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

OTB had a brief window when it was Kilbane and Cunningham on most nights and it wasn’t a bad listen. Now is the David Delaney show and he is poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

boccy23 wrote: »
    Loved his proper dutch pronouncement of the names.

The European Tim Vickery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'd love to know the listenership figures for OTB. Like most, used to love it, but it is so bad now. Too much 'bants' and not enough humour or insight. I reckon they need to start from scratch with it as its beyond repair.

Thats before you mention the crappy quiz

I'd love to know the listenership figures for OTB. Like most, used to love it, but it is so bad now. Too much 'bants' and not enough humour or insight. I reckon they need to start from scratch with it as its beyond repair.

Yeah, I used to watch the otb live in the morning on twitter when they started doing that, would have it on in the room on the phone as I was getting ready. You could see how many else were watching at any time, and it was always tiny - like never more than 200. Obviously it was being shown on other platforms and clips could be used elsewhere, but I just couldn't understand how it was feasible.

Which also goes to show how great a job the Second Captains lads are doing. They've done an unbelievable job building up the numbers on Patreon, I noticed they've broken 13,000 subscribers in recent weeks. I joined around a year ago, and it was around 12,200 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

OTB had a brief window when it was Kilbane and Cunningham on most nights and it wasn’t a bad listen. Now is the David Delaney show and he is poison.

His brother Damien is quite good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The figures haven't changed much since the lads left, if anything they are a up a bit - 47,000. I think when the Second Captains left it was around 44,000.

I know he's an acquired taste, but I don't mind Damien Delaney all that much. Maybe it's only because I've so far only had small doses of him, but when I've heard him speak I think he does an okay job of explaining things from the footballer's perspective. I appreciate that his insight is from lived experience.

With the likes of Ken, Eoghan, Murph most of what they're saying about the how and the whys of a game is probably bullshit at the end of the day. Okay maybe, not out and out crap, but there's probably a million factors that they've overlooked into why a game goes the way that it does, they'll never really know what it was like to be out there on the field playing in the game being analysed- they are just essentially barstoolers, like the rest of us.

That's not to say that the lad's insights have no value. They're great at placing things in a wider context or providing a new way of looking at things or just being downright funny and/or clever with their allusions and analogies as applied to sport and they've got great chemistry as well. All that is great and enriches the experience, but I often think their actual analysis of why something happened on the field of play has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

But the OTB guys are barstoolers too, but from what I've heard,they don't even bring in that other stuff. Their bants sounded painful and forced - really sounded like loudmouth lads killing time talking about stuff, but with zero real value or content. Fcking hell, I thought, this is kinda tragic - it just sounded so basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If you think OTB is painful and unlistenable, I shudder to think what you think of the progeny of the RTE radio sports department. OTB is fine to me, thank god it’s there as RTE radio is the alternative.

Listening to today's pod now, pissing myself at the Pat Kenny Hygge bit:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    His brother Damien is quite good though.

CHEAP SHOT !!! CHEAP SHOT !!!!

Listening to today's pod now, pissing myself at the Pat Kenny Hygge bit:pac::pac:

Still in shock at that Alan Shearer letter to Gareth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Arghus wrote: »

He's been on SC, OTB and The Stand in the past week. Must have a new book out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I definitely pick and choose OTB stuff. Generally I wait for the podcasts, speed through and drop out as soon as I'm done.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. The lockdowns and working from home are going to affect everyone. I'd expect them to improve slightly when normality returns.

Kilbane and Cunningham had enough time there. They both only saw the world from the position of a dressing room in a mid to low take club. They rarely saw things from a different perspective. Sometimes I think Cunningham expects forwards to use magic to play because there's no way he'd change how he'd play to help the attack, eg push up, pass out etc.

I like that team 33 takes a more nerdy approach but their craic is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

huevos = eggs

Which is also slang for balls

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Anyone know where the audio comes from in the Ken Early Chelsea hard men audio bed. There is some sort of commentator or interview argument. Part of it is.. you are getting it. Something like that. Maybe some mention of channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the audio comes from in the Ken Early Chelsea hard men audio bed. There is some sort of commentator or interview argument. Part of it is.. you are getting it. Something like that. Maybe some mention of channel 5.

Tyson fury

https://youtu.be/fNYLvd-QUrQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

jaykay74 wrote: »

Also you are getting it for sure! It’s so good. PUT SOME RESPECT ON MY NAME!!!

Advertisement