Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Material for wall above sink and wider area?

Options
  • 30-06-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I've a small L-shaped white matte apartment kitchen that has a white quartz worktop with bits of grey detailing through it. But I'm wondering what to put on the wall between the countertop and top presses, behind the sink. There's no windows so just all wall at the moment. I'm thinking that extending the quartz worktop up the wall could be beautiful but probably have an astronomical price. I'm going for a really clean, sleek look so tiles might not look right. For the floor I'm planning a dark grey slate tile. The material for the wall needs to be waterproof because it'll be be behind the sink. Maybe a splashback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

We have a similar setup, except it is the hob rather than the sink. We will be getting a glass splashback either coloured or a clear removable one which can be removed and painted or wallpapered behind. Leaning towards clear one as it gives more flexibility on colour behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭wandererz

I am looking at some adhesive splashbacks at the moment

https://www.screwfix.ie/c/bathrooms-kitchens/splashbacks/cat820372?brand=splashback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have a glass splash back and I wouldn’t get anything else. It’s so easy to clean, no grout. Wide variety of colours

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

So with the splashback, the wall is painted and then a splashback is used above the hob? Does the paint clean easily? Does the area around the sink need any extra protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

CalisGirl wrote: »
    So with the splashback, the wall is painted and then a splashback is used above the hob? Does the paint clean easily? Does the area around the sink need any extra protection?

I have a glass splash back behind all my kitchen Units, not just behind the hob. My kitchen is just along one straight wall, and the glass runs from one side to the other. The glass we got is coloured, so the paint doesn’t matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

CalisGirl wrote: »
    I've a small L-shaped white matte apartment kitchen that has a white quartz worktop with bits of grey detailing through it. But I'm wondering what to put on the wall between the countertop and top presses, behind the sink. There's no windows so just all wall at the moment. I'm thinking that extending the quartz worktop up the wall could be beautiful but probably have an astronomical price. I'm going for a really clean, sleek look so tiles might not look right. For the floor I'm planning a dark grey slate tile. The material for the wall needs to be waterproof because it'll be be behind the sink. Maybe a splashback?

For such a small area continuing the quartz might not be as expensive as you are imagining and would be the most hygienic finish. Another option that would work well would be to match the wall tiles to the floor tiles.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

I decided to continue the quartz up the wall. Another €2k. Not cheap but it'll look great and I don't see myself moving out of the apartment so it'll be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm considering this for my kitchen at the moment. What price range was this?

Advertisement