Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

saabsaab wrote: »
    We can thank the travel variants for the delays in reopening.

Not introducing MHQ for India brought Delta here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

Over 50% of covid cases in Northern Ireland are now the Delta variant as of this week. 60,000 people a day cross over the border between Ireland and the North. We could have let in 0 people from India for the past year and Delta would still be here thanks to the North.

Once again it just proves theres absolutely no point in the MHQ system when we have a completely open land border with another country, with no restrictions or controls on it.

Probably not introducing it quick enough in the UK doomed us to have delta
    That was Boris not wanting to have MHQ in place when he flew to India on an official visit
    He ended up not going as delta was ripping through India
    Utter ineptitude and brexity selfishness again instead of prioritising crucial measures in a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Oh, boohoo, the fact you can't comprehend variants will continue to develop is quite something, we're nearly 18 months into this. The only thing preventing reopening is the conservative preachers in the Department of Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Oh, boohoo, the fact you can't comprehend variants will continue to develop is quite something, we're nearly 18 months into this. The only thing preventing reopening is the conservative preachers in the Department of Health.

Nonsense. Of course variants will continue to emerge no argument but we can delay their spread until a large percentage of our population is fully vaccinated. This is our best hope to get out of this and defend against variants both new and old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Nonsense. Of course variants will continue to emerge no argument but we can delay their spread until a large percentage of our population is fully vaccinated. This is our best hope to get out of this and defend against variants both new and old.

What is your new magic date? September?

What is your new magic date? September?

No magic, imported variants have delayed us. Probably would have been end of June otherwise. Now end of August, unless we import a newer variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

No magic, imported variants have delayed us. Probably would have been end of June otherwise. Now end of August, unless we import a newer variant.

You may close that border with the north. It’s clear as day that’s where the variants are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

You may close that border with the north. It’s clear as day that’s where the variants are coming from.

I can't believe that some here still haven't found the ignore button for certain posters

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually, they haven't. A decision by NPHET based on their view of said variant is what's doing it and of course the government following their advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

You should email Tony, have him make Michael Martin pull up the train tracks crossing the border and dig up the roads.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

py2006 wrote: »
    The missus and aunt work in the airport. Social distancing while queuing is non existent.

The UK/US flights were next to empty last year and most of this year. Fairly full nowadays.

So no actual access to the data then?

I have access to the data from one airline. Doesnt mean I know the data from the rest of them.
    And a lapse in social distancing while queuing is a fault of the airline/airport staff who should be encouraging passengers to adher to the clear guidance given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Valhallapt wrote: »
    You should email Tony, have him make Michael Martin pull up the train tracks crossing the border and dig up the roads.

Mary Lou's crowd used to be great at doing that...maybe try her first ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Australia called and said hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

faceman wrote: »
    Australia called and said hold my beer Fosters

FYP

Australia called and said hold my beer

The Australians are now talking about being in and out of lockdowns, with full border closure, until March 2022 at the earliest. And thats presuming they manage to keep getting a lid on the outbreaks every time they happen. Another year of covid madness while the rest of the developed world opens up this summer...

How anyone could want to emulate their system is beyond me.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The Australians are now talking about being in and out of lockdowns, with full border closure, until March 2022 at the earliest. And thats presuming they manage to keep getting a lid on the outbreaks every time they happen. Another year of covid madness while the rest of the developed world opens up this summer...

Worked ok for them so far but they would need to vax their population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tenger wrote: »
    And a lapse in social distancing while queuing is a fault of the airline/airport staff who should be encouraging passengers to adher to the clear guidance given.

That's ridiculous.

We are not talking about children in a playground, we are talking about grown adults who have made the choice to travel during a pandemic.

The airport can only leave out guidelines and markings for social distancing and sanitiser etc they can't physically force it.

Most people who have travelled up to of late really couldn't care less about covid etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

py2006 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

We are not talking about children in a playground, we are talking about grown adults who have made the choice to travel during a pandemic.

The airport can only leave out guidelines and markings for social distancing and sanitiser etc they can't physically force it.

Most people who have travelled up to of late really couldn't care less about covid etc

My Mum (in her 80s) just came back from a trip to the uk - the queues for document checks in the airport meant that the passengers on her flight had to queue on the tarmac after disembarking. I’d have thought that was a safety risk in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Multipass wrote: »
    My Mum (in her 80s) just came back from a trip to the uk - the queues for document checks in the airport meant that the passengers on her flight had to queue on the tarmac after disembarking. I’d have thought that was a safety risk in itself.

Dublin Airport is Crazy. Passport control has to check Passport, passenger locator and Covid result.
    There is clearly no proper system in place... No QR scanners to automatically scan documents...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I've read a lot of dumb posts on here but this one takes the biscuit.

Australia is the envy of the world to any sane person. Sure, they're vax program is a little slow but they will catch up. In the meantime they're living with the lowest covid rates In the world.

Australia is the envy of the world to any sane person. Sure, they're vax program is a little slow but they will catch up. In the meantime they're living with the lowest covid rates In the world.

They're living under the constant threat of new full lockdowns being imposed, they're repeatedly having new outbreaks of corona, and their borders have been shut for almost a year and a half already - keeping the tens of millions of Australians with foreign family separated from their families, missing vital life events like funerals and births. And they have massive widespread vaccine hesitancy, with a large percentage of the public simply refusing to be vaccinated.

And they're now facing another year at least of all of this prison sentence, while the rest of the world goes back to normal.

I know where I'd rather be living for the next 12 months, and its sure as hell not in Australia. Its literally anywhere else in the developed world.

Does anyone know what Belfast Airport is like as Dublin is not up to speed with what is needed.
    It may be they will get the equipment needed as it was too slow on arrivals last week.
    I think i read here people queued on tarmac....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

With only 3% of their population vaccinated, a high degree of vaccine hesitancy, uncontrolled outbreaks of covid and a lack of ability to leave the country for any reason, I’m not sure who is envying Australia.

We will have reached herd immunity and they will be still a way behind.

With only 3% of their population vaccinated, a high degree of vaccine hesitancy, uncontrolled outbreaks of covid and a lack of ability to leave the country for any reason, I’m not sure who is envying Australia.

We will have reached herd immunity and they will be still a way behind.

We need to look after here.... Think this thread about control at Airports.
    No Aus airports around here....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Flying in this evening with a few friends.

https://images.app.goo.gl/7XtEgchijKAPxMxMA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They're living under the constant threat of new full lockdowns being imposed, they're repeatedly having new outbreaks of corona, and their borders have been shut for almost a year and a half already - keeping the tens of millions of Australians with foreign family separated from their families, missing vital life events like funerals and births. And they have massive widespread vaccine hesitancy, with a large percentage of the public simply refusing to be vaccinated.

And they're now facing another year at least of all of this prison sentence, while the rest of the world goes back to normal.

I know where I'd rather be living for the next 12 months, and its sure as hell not in Australia. Its literally anywhere else in the developed world.

Australia's Covid response (along with New Zealand ) is made so much easier by their Geographical situation and ease of Isolation,just ask any of their guests on Papua New Guinea.

Quite what their economy will look like in 12 months time is as yet an unanswered question,but then again Ireland's may be equally scuppered unless we wake up and make some Coffee to smell !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Know a fella that flew out to Spain last month un vaccinated said it was just as bad here as there but he now has Covid! Recovering now, but it was a bad dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭gral6

Know a fella that flew out to Spain last month un vaccinated said it was just as bad here as there but he now has Covid! Recovering now, but it was a bad dose.

I know a fella, who took luas from Tallaght to Point 2 weeks ago, he has covid now! He is un vaxxed, recovering now from running nose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Does anyone know what Belfast Airport is like as Dublin is not up to speed with what is needed.
    It may be they will get the equipment needed as it was too slow on arrivals last week.
    I think i read here people queued on tarmac....

Both Belfast Airports I believe are fine. I'm at a loss as to why anyone would fly from Dublin Airport rather than one of the Belfast ones at the moment if a similar destination is available. It is entirely possible to follow the current Irish Government requirements while flying from the North to avoid the mess at Dublin airport at present.

Advertisement