Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Agri-Contractors making money?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Henry... wrote: »
    What does it.mean

People who keep horses

The horsey world tends to attract a lot of "characters", it's one of few businesses that still operates with large amounts of cash transactions. Compared to cattle or sheep there isn't great traceability on horse's, combined with dealing in cash it's easy to use horse trading as a cover up for other nefarious businesses. I know a fair few horse people who are broken down cattle/sheep dealer's, known criminals or just general dodges.

There's some genuine great people in the horsey world and it would be totally unfair to tar them all with the one brush. However for the reasons outlined above and others the equine world seems to gather more than it's fair share of pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ryertex

What's that all about then

Most of the big operators in the horse world look like they're tight with money
    It seems to be the case that when it comes to money, the horses take priority over everything else. I worked with a fella once who would spend 10 grand on a horse and drive a E500 car. Always breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not too far from me is a 200 acre farm. Flaking land. It owned by a lad that has a few horses. Majority of horses that pass through his hands are useless. He be turning a few ponies and donkeys as well.not a screed of a fence or a blade of grass on the place. His few Cate would be breaking into everybody's else's place and the few cattle he have would be harmless. He be grazing a few cattle for a few lads.

You could not make 40-50k on cattle with a little effort. Everything from the house, to the sheds, cars and anything else around the place is falling down or falling apart. Usually gambling is part of it as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Had a contractor behind me there recently

I was doing the speed limit in the car

He was going mad blowing the horn and gesturing at me

Doesn't sound like a great job overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

How much did you owe him? :D

• Advertisement

How much did you owe him?

He was trying to pass in the tractor

Then again think he just wanted me to go faster , hard enough for them to overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Easten wrote: »
    As far as I can tell some of the contractors are making an absolute fortune and are taking the pss with the prices.
    The prices I got quoted for hay bales this week was 7 for the round bale of hay and 85cent for the small square bale. I got a neighbors old square baler and done it myself. 1143 square bales for about 50 euros of diesel.

Did you pay yourself for the time spent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How is that possible?

Tractors rarely go above 40 kph

Was it near a school

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How is that possible?

Was it near a school

It might have been his land cruiser and browser.

Slava Ukrainii

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How is that possible?

Was it near a school

In a 50 zone seemed to be a fast tractor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

I’d have slammed on the brakes and leave his wallet pick up the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I'd have slowed down even more, drive the nut job mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Easten wrote: »
    I'd have slowed down even more, drive the nut job mad

I'd have pulled in to let him by,
    sometimes it's as easy to let people on their way, than makeing a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Jb1989 wrote: »

Are you for real? That was road rage that the person experienced. You suggesting they should bend over and get rodded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Fils wrote: »
    Are you for real? That was road rage that the person experienced. You suggesting they should bend over and get rodded.

Depends how much under the 50 the motor driver was doing.
    Yes I'd suggest pulling in if someone was in more of a panic than me.

Me too. However, for the tailgater who just won't pass, I find the windscreen washer a blessing. After the second or third dose of it I find they stay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Me too. However, for the tailgater who just won't pass, I find the windscreen washer a blessing. After the second or third dose of it I find they stay back.

Tailgaters are often more of a problem than the slow moving vehicle in front

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yes pull in, why escalate the situation further. The man could be under pressure and/or having worked through the night or very early that morning.

Just pull in.

Let him on.

Call him whatever you want and move on.

Simples

Tailgaters are often more of a problem than the slow moving vehicle in front

Usually yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if a tractor is blowing the horn behind you ? , you must drive like my aunty Mary who is eighty five and drives like its Sunday every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭Grueller

I’d have slammed on the brakes and leave his wallet pick up the mess.

And have a tractor weighing 10 tonnes plus a four tonne trailer (if empty) or up to twenty tonnes (if loaded) go, not into your car, but probably across it. His wallet would never be able to clean up that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Depends how much under the 50 the motor driver was doing.
    Yes I'd suggest pulling in if someone was in more of a panic than me.

Its the same folk always in a panic. Some of us can occasionally be also,but don't resort to road rage type behaviour on a highway on them days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭straight

You should have pulled in out of the man's way. Be fiddling away in your own time like.

straight wrote: »
    You should have pulled in out of the man's way. Be fiddling away in your own time like.

He was doing the speed limit. Doubt he was fiddling away.

I got me wings clipped recently on this forum for suggesting to another poster to trim a hedge back a touch less than a week after 28th February as ground was dry then as opposed to wet in February.

Seems protecting birds that had not even started nesting is more important than human life from some incensed motorist wanting to arrive a couple of minutes sooner through speeding on a road.

Have yet to see silage lost to weather from some lad arriving a few minutes later.

It's a joke the amount of tractor drivers on the fone

It's like every second one is on the mobile

It's a joke the amount of tractor drivers on the fone

It's like every second one is on the mobile

Shur when they spend all the money on the shiny new paint work, they haven't any left for hands free technology. ( tell you " couldn't afford it")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

ruwithme wrote: »
    Shur when they spend all the money on the shiny new paint work, they haven't any left for hands free technology. ( tell you " couldn't afford it")

Same as cars drivers, guards included, people are people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

No problem with someone chatting on the phone, but people messaging etc is lethal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks FM, so a ballpark for spring barley costs per acre is about €280 (incl. VAT) per acre just for the machinery hire cost.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement