Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

You might want to rethink that. Taking London as an example, the London Underground network carries 1.35 billion passengers every year, according to TfL, while about 2.1 billion bus journeys are taken in the capital. In fact look at any major city in Europe and you will find the same.
    London is not an example for a city like Galway, it's rather silly to give examples of megacities when talking about Galway traffic. You must know that it's a red herring. London is a Global Alpha++ city, the only one in Europe. Dublin is Alpha- city and Belfast Gamma+ city just for comparison.

Furthermore, UK as a whole has historically centred its PT strategy around buses (despite its extensive light-rail network up to pre-WW2), which is rather different case than continental Europe. And this is one of the reasons that it largely ended up quite car dependent as a result. UK is the exception to the rule, so not a good role model overall.

But nonetheless, in the European cities, where you claim bus networks are extensive, if you look closely at them, then you can clearly see they are not the core of the PT strategy - generally the underground, tram and/or urban rail are the core part of the strategy and buses are ancillary legacy technology. Without the core rail/tram/underground the cities would choke with pollution & PT would come to a halt. Buses are simply not a solution after a certain point, the throughput is just too low, they are too slow and also they're polluting unless electric. I'd argue buses are good for a provincial town of max 50k people, but once the town becomes a city it needs a better solution as an addition to the buses. This is the reason why several cities in the UK have been trying to catch up to Europe and building light-rail systems.

Have you been to Vienna, Prague, Copenhagen?

Much smaller cities than London and of course in all of them buses are only ancillary. The core/skeleton of the PT is tram, underground and train (Prague & Vienna) or underground and train (Copenhagen).

Now, let's have a look at a more reasonable case worth as a case study applicable for Galway - Linz, Austria, population 200k, the PT map is below. 1, 2, 3, 4, 50 are tram lines, the rest buses.

linz-public-transport-map.jpg

Firstly, I call a bluff on the Corrib argument as it was an insurmountable river Amazon cutting through Galway City! Linz is split into three parts by two rivers, one of which is rather large (Danube) and despite that the PT including trams serves and integrates all the three zones.

Secondly, you can clearly see that the light-rail is the core of the network doing the long distance high volume North-South and West-East long routes. While buses are doing either radial routes or short "local" routes to server single or neighbouring districts. Also, notice the rather large number of interchanges where several tram & bus routes intersect.

This is how you design PT in a modern city, livable, European city.

There are dozens and dozens case studies from 100-200k cities on the continent where GCC/NTA could be looking at and literally pick and chose and design something similar for here. Sadly, instead they only look at England 30 years ago before they started looking into light-rail and on top copy the old-school English approach badly as well.

The problem in Galway is not lack of funding but lack of vision, ambition and poor governance (in that order).

Another example of a very solid light-rail project is from Sweden, and certainly a good case study for Galway.

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/se/lund/lund.htm
    https://old-sparvaglund.lund.se/om-projektet/summary-in-english/
    https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/lund-tramway-scania/

Population: 92k (120k municipal)
    Lines: 1 (1 more planned)
    Length: 5.5 km
    Completed: Dec 2020
    Costs: ~150m EUR

Rationale - using a sustainable solution increase the PT througput into an area which is being redeveloped, regenerated and expanded = future planning. They basically build a tram route from the city centre to a new area which they plan to expand to 50k people in next years.

https://youtu.be/5uEYhTfSHO8

Worth noting that Lund is a university town and hosts quite a few hi-tech companies & industries. And it positions itself similarly as Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    Another example of a very solid light-rail project is from Sweden, and certainly a good case study for Galway.

They basically build a tram route from the city centre to a new area which they plan to expand to 50k people in next years.

https://youtu.be/5uEYhTfSHO8

Worth noting that Lund is a university town and hosts quite a few hi-tech companies & industries. And it positions itself similarly as Galway.

Ok, so if you were building a tram route from Ardaun to Galway city centre, where would you route it past? Parkmore / Ballybrit / Liosbaun (where residents are likely to work)? Or Roscam / GMIT (where they may study) / the Bons / Wellpark?

Ok, so if you were building a tram route from Ardaun to Galway city centre, where would you route it past? Parkmore / Ballybrit / Liosbaun (where residents are likely to work)? Or Roscam / GMIT (where they may study) / the Bons / Wellpark?
    These are all details, minutae and red herrings. First, we need to agree what's needed - shortermism & patches of patches or real strategic sustainable planning.

If you look at light-rail systems in Europe - there are several dozens of them - they generally involve future city expansion & planning in the design.

The issue here is that NTA/GCC react only ex-post. They don't consider PT as a stragetic matter to be assessed jointly with the city growth/expansion strategy.

The often repeated mantra "you build it and they will come" actually applies double for light-rail/urban rail/undeground infrastructure - but more in a sense that you bring the infra to areas where you are building, plan or expect significant development yourself and upfront.

It's not a rocket scicence, it's just acknoledgement of the fact that PT is an essential infra in the same bracket as water pipes, gas pipes, electricity or broadband. It MUST be at the core of any city planning and expansion, and it indeed was/is in most cities on the continent.

Hope it makes sense:cool:

I'd say NTA have finally shaken down the IDA to contribute a good bit towards transport infrastructure in Parkmore.
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Parkmore-Area-Strategic-Transport-Framework.pdf

Not too bad, do we know how many of the "08 PROPOSED PROJECTS - Phase 1" have been completed? These are the short term solutions for 2020/2021.

Overall, largely cosmetic patching as opposed to strategic development in my opinion, but at least they try consolidating the patches into one framework.

• Advertisement

These are all details, minutae and red herrings. First, we need to agree to…(Insert -ism here).

It’s this attitude, in itself, that is the reason *nothing* gets built. It may be minutia to you, but to someone else it’s their home either a place to live or CPOed out of existence.

It’s this attitude, in itself, that is the reason *nothing* gets built. It may be minutia to you, but to someone else it’s their home either a place to live or CPOed out of existence.

My question was about fundamental understanding of the city: of the two options, one connects homes with jobs, the other connects them with schools and hospitals. Which does the poster pick?

IMHO, ilt's the homes/jobs connection that gets more people using public transport (students will use it anyway, or will walk/cycle). But some campaigners just don't get that point.

My question was about fundamental understanding of the city: of the two options, one connects homes with jobs, the other connects them with schools and hospitals. Which does the poster pick?

IMHO, ilt's the homes/jobs connection that gets more people using public transport (students will use it anyway, or will walk/cycle). But some campaigners just don't get that point.
    The poster has a name, just FYI. This way of reference is borderline condenscending and/or passive-aggressive in my opinion.

Back to the topic - first, there is vision and ambition. Then there are details to be sorted. Whereas you first come with details before vision and ambition and bog down/kill any ideas before they are born or get traction. Not a smart strategy...

Right, if you think so. I don't agree at all.

All what I see a very many arguments for "why not" whenever anything progressive/different is suggested. "Let's do it" and "if there's a will there's a way" attitude is missing. Instead, discussions are bogged down in details discussing "why not", right at the start. Any serious vision or ambition can't arise from this sort of climate.

I see a lot of, what to me looks like insularism, going on, to be honest. I'd say outside view is badly needed in Galway to broaden horizons, but I can see that it's not really welcome. And this is demonstrated even in this, let's say, moderately more open forum here.

Can only repeat myself that, and it's not only my opinion but an observation of outsiders from several different European nationalities, the issue in this town is - lack of vision, ambition and poor governance. It generally extends to most of Ireland, but it's very deep in Galway (for some reason), and some towns can do better indeed.

Right, if you think so. I don't agree at all.

All what I see a very many arguments for "why not" whenever anything progressive/different is suggested. "Let's do it" and "if there's a will there's a way" attitude is missing. Instead, discussions are bogged down in details discussing "why not", right at the start. Any serious vision or ambition can't arise from this sort of climate.

I see a lot of, what to me looks like insularism, going on, to be honest. I'd say outside view is badly needed in Galway to broaden horizons, but I can see that it's not really welcome. And this is demonstrated even in this, let's say, moderately more open forum here.

Can only repeat myself that, and it's not only my opinion but an observation of outsiders from several different European nationalities, the issue in this town is - lack of vision, ambition and poor governance. It generally extends to most of Ireland, but it's very deep in Galway (for some reason), and some towns can do better indeed.

Where do you think I come from?

• Advertisement

Where do you think I come from?

Not that I'm not interested, but is this a quizz or should we better discuss the topic (traffic in Galway) or better the specific points I made about PT, light-rail etc? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

I was part of traffic today unfortunately as I had to give someone a lift into town but my god the traffic around the Headford Rd / Terryland etc was absolutely desperate. That McDonalds drive thru seemed to be causing a huge amount of it as far as I could see with the queues coming in and out of the retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Redkite200 wrote: »
    That McDonalds drive thru seemed to be causing a huge amount of it as far as I could see with the queues coming in and out of the retail park.
    Wasn't that great on d'other side either, someone plonked their car on the footpath and cycle lane on Seamus Quirke whilst running into McD's :rolleyes:

Redkite200 wrote: »
    That McDonalds drive thru seemed to be causing a huge amount of it as far as I could see with the queues coming in and out of the retail park.

Same again today - drive thru queue stretching out to the main road.

Well, when you’ve a neighbour country that made your decisions for you for 700 of the last 800 years, you’d be cagey too about outsiders looking at cookie cutter solutions & throwing their weight behind an -ism to make decisions instead of looking at what people actually want.

Well, when you’ve a neighbour country that made your decisions for you for 700 of the last 800 years, you’d be cagey too about outsiders looking at cookie cutter solutions & throwing their weight behind an -ism to make decisions instead of looking at what people actually want.

That's probaly the poorest argument I've heard in ages...Who's making a decision on your behalf in the context we're discussing here???? :confused:

The "outsiders" have a) experience with solutions that work (they're not making stuff up) and b) equal right to contribute (or at least I thought). Why would you be cagey at all? I don't understand at all...

You really need to be more open-minded and encourage discussion. Be more ambitous and find ways how to do things, not killing ideas right at the start trying to find millions reasons for "why it can't work". Aim very high and then settle for good. If you aim low then you settle for crap...

If a German or an American with an expertise, experience and good ideas came to my town and honestly suggested a solution to a local problem, I'd listen him carefully and happily agreed to him and supported him if his proposition was sound.

... instead of looking at what people actually want.

Are you saying the people of Galway:
    1. Don't want effective non-polluting modern European style light-rail system.
    2. But rather want a second class polluting (hello diesel), slow and ineffective bus system instead.

#2 is what you'll likely get in the end with the "Bus Connects" if you're lucky...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Are you saying the people of Galway:
    1. Don't want effective non-polluting modern European style light-rail system.
    2. But rather want a second class polluting (hello diesel), slow and ineffective bus system instead.

#2 is what you'll likely get in the end with the "Bus Connects" if you're lucky...

A proper bus system could well be faster than a tram system, given the same priority and stopping pattern.

A proper bus system can be all electric, with zero tail pipe emissions and as silent as a tram.

A proper bus system can be more effective than a tram system in that it can branch out, covering far more of the city for a tiny fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

donvito99 wrote: »
    A proper bus system could well be faster than a tram system, given the same priority and stopping pattern.

A proper bus system can be all electric, with zero tail pipe emissions and as silent as a tram.

A proper bus system can be more effective than a tram system in that it can branch out, covering far more of the city for a tiny fraction of the cost.

I love trams, but electric buses do not require tracks. Overhead lines are infrastructure that can be used too. The city I'm living in now has natural gas buses which are also clean running (vs diesel).

I believe that there is a capacity difference too with Trams having a greater capacity than buses and greater priority in traffic. (Electric) busses should be only be considered temporary while funds are gathered for a proper light rail or metro system.

If a German or an American with an expertise, experience and good ideas came to my town and honestly suggested a solution to a local problem, I'd listen him carefully and happily agreed to him and supported him if his proposition was sound.

But part of assessing whether his proposition is sound involves assessing its fit with the local culture.

My observation is that very, very many Irish people do not want to live in the type of density that makes fixed line services viable. They aspire to move away from built up areas, to more private ones. Some grudgingly accept that environmental concerns mean that everyone cannot have the rural paradise which Dev dreamed of - but that doesn't mean they want to turn into Continental Europeans either! People from outside Dublin go up, and catch the Luas red-line, and in one journey see that the videos of lads getting on board with a horse might not be that far-fetched. They DO NOT want that for Galway.

Foreign blow-ins like myself can look at things and say "life could be different" - and even model how: I've been living a minimal private transport inner-city lifestyle for ten years. I regularly use public transport. But I'm now child-free and I know that what I do isn't possible for many.

But we don't get to be prescriptive that particular solutions that work well overseas being a good fit for this city. If Irish people want their culture to change - that's up to Irish people to decide and do, not for outsiders to impose.

• Advertisement

Major works happening at the Kirwan roundabout tonight. Lot of through routes not possible, traffic being diverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Major works happening at the Kirwan roundabout tonight. Lot of through routes not possible, traffic being diverted.

Ya it was all over local news outlets today to avoid between 7pm tonight and 7am tomorrow. How it'll be after 7am is anyone's guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The tea leaves were read and said:

0_591132

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

It’ll be grand. Temp Mini Roundabout will be installed tonight. Few more weeks an it’ll be punched.

I don't think outsiders necessarily realise how much Galway has changed in a relatively short time and how little local control there is.

Big spending decisions are made in Dublin by the cabinet.

Edit: Comparing to somewhere like Linz doesn't ring true to us. Linz has a pop of 200k today and in 1950 had a pop of... about 200k. It's had tramlines the whole time and has improved them. The metropolitan population is much bigger.
    Galway town had a population of about 20k in 1950, and the population of the county and country was declining.
    Comparing us to Linz can come across as unrealistic.

It's going to make me sound old (I don't think I am) but I do remember when what are now established suburbs with schools, shops etc were just fields. It wasn't that long ago.

For what it's worth I don't see the ring road as a solution to out problems and I don't see it happening.
    BRT creating spines across the city will deliver on the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So it seems boards is alive again. May as well kick start Galway by talking about traffic. It was brutal yesterday. Q Bridge completely backed up, almost to Newcastle, at around 230. Menlo junction is like something from 1970s India at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Bredabe

AND pedestrians were suicidal, I say this as a pedestrian.

Has looking both ways/obeying traffic signals/common road sense left the building?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

Kirwan junction operational..

video is worth watching just to get a feel of the new traffic flows

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

When are they replacing the rest of the roundabouts?

Joyce roundabout (Bohermore) is an awful cause of congestion - well they all are really

• Advertisement

Bit by bit

Next is the one at the clinic, and the one at the back of the UHG is after that I believe, but yeah, all the RAB's are going the way of the dodo.

Personally I'm looking forward to the WDR being upgraded to remove the RAB's, add bus lanes and protected bike lanes. Big job though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement