Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nella Fantasia

• 06-07-2021 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I have wanted to ask this question many times but never thought to ask on the boards.

Just listened to Nella Fantasia on Marty Whelan’s radio show.

Am I imagining this or does parts of the music sound like music from the Braveheart film score?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think you are imagining it - or perhaps more confusing it. "Nella Fantasia" is written by Ennio Morricone, and it's a reworking of his own piece, "Gabriel's Oboe", which is part of the score he wrote for the 1986 film "The Mission". Basically, it's "Gabriel's Oboe" with lyrics.

"Braveheart" came out in the mid-1990s, with a score by James Horner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think you are imagining it - or perhaps more confusing it. "Nella Fantasia" is written by Ennio Morricone, and it's a reworking of his own piece, "Gabriel's Oboe", which is part of the score he wrote for the 1986 film "The Mission". Basically, it's "Gabriel's Oboe" with lyrics.

"Braveheart" came out in the mid-1990s, with a score by James Horner.

Sorry I should have explained on my first post that I do know Nella Fantasia is a reworking of Gabriel’s Obie.

However the pieces of music that I think sounds like Braveheart does not feature in Gabriel’s Oboe, only in Nella Fantasia.

From 16 seconds to 30 seconds (it is repeated a few times through the song)

https://youtu.be/fBueA37V61Y

I am positive that this is from the Braveheart score which was released three years earlier. I can’t find it on the soundtrack right now but I will listen to it through the day and post the track later.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

The music between 16-30 secs is from The Mission but in an orchestral mode - most prominent in a track called "The Falls".

25 secs in.

Ignore -double post.

• Advertisement

No, I don't think it sounds anything like Braveheart.

1986 Morricone composes for The Mission which includes a number of themes including "Gabriel's Oboe" and "The Falls". This is purely instrumental music not a song.

1995 James Horner composes for Braveheart.

1998 Sarah Brightman having been refused permission several times by Morricone finally receives permission from him to turn "Gabriel's Oboe" theme into a song - that's the original "Gabriel's Oboe" theme with lyrics now added. There have been countless cover versions since.

In the Katherine Jenkins cover version of this song that you linked, the arrangers of the music for the song have included a snippet or two of "The Falls" theme - the 16-30 seconds you mention. Nothing whatever to do with Braveheart.

I lack the musical jargon to explain but there is is definitely a piece in The Mission music that sounds like a piece from the Braveheart music.

I know The Mission was made first and I’m not saying any version - music or song has anything to do with Braveheart.

Just that a seconds of music from both films sounds the same.

Advertisement