Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Needed something to play so ended up getting Returnal, was originally gonna wait till it dropped in price. After playing for a few hours I have realised that, unfortunately, it is way too hard for me. It’s not the combat itself is hard, its just that one lapse in concentration and you lose an hour of progress, just like that. A particularly good run saw me make it to the first boss, where I was fairly well geared up. I just about managed to beat it and then my heart sank when I saw the 3 squares next to its health bar - I had only gotten 1/3rd of his health down. He immediately killed me after this.

When I restarted it occurred me that it was going to take me ages of grinding to get decent gear before I could even attempt the boss again, so I just turned it off. I think I’m done with it, I just have no desire to go through that again just to maybe get a little further on the boss. It’s a real shame cos the combat is fantastic and the story/setting really sucked me in - like a more horror themed Metroid Prime. I should have gotten Ratchet & Clank, wonder if I can just return it to Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Markitron wrote: »
    Needed something to play so ended up getting Returnal, was originally gonna wait till it dropped in price. After playing for a few hours I have realised that, unfortunately, it is way too hard for me. It’s not the combat itself is hard, its just that one lapse in concentration and you lose an hour of progress, just like that. A particularly good run saw me make it to the first boss, where I was fairly well geared up. I just about managed to beat it and then my heart sank when I saw the 3 squares next to its health bar - I had only gotten 1/3rd of his health down. He immediately killed me after this.

When I restarted it occurred me that it was going to take me ages of grinding to get decent gear before I could even attempt the boss again, so I just turned it off. I think I’m done with it, I just have no desire to go through that again just to maybe get a little further on the boss. It’s a real shame cos the combat is fantastic and the story/setting really sucked me in - like a more horror themed Metroid Prime. I should have gotten Ratchet & Clank, wonder if I can just return it to Smyths.

Couldn’t recommend Ratchet enough, it’s utterly charming. There were sections with some of the little robot drones that had me grinning throughout

Couldn’t recommend Ratchet enough, it’s utterly charming. There were sections with some of the little robot drones that had me grinning throughout

Yea I’m regretting my decision

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Yea I’m regretting my decision

There was a PS4 game swap thread, maybe resurrect it and you might be able to find someone willing to do a straight swap.

shawki wrote: »
    There was a PS4 game swap thread, maybe resurrect it and you might be able to find someone willing to do a straight swap.

That’s not a bad idea, would I have to ask a mod to create that thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That’s not a bad idea, would I have to ask a mod to create that thread?

I have Knack 2 if you're interested. PM me your deets.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have Knack 2 if you're interested. PM me your deets.

I think I’ll just CEX it for R&C, the money it would cost is worth it to avoid having to deal with the mouth breathers and tampon eaters on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

If you still have the receipt, bring it to Smyths and say it was bought for a son/family member. They're usually sound for exchanges once it's within the allowed time frame.

I think I’ll just CEX it for R&C, the money it would cost is worth it to avoid having to deal with the mouth breathers and tampon eaters on Adverts.

Yrah like Rocket said, try Smyths first, nothing to lose. I'm the same, CEX is just too handy and no hassle, even if it means taking a hit of a few quid.

I love the sound of Returnal but lack of 'save and quit' feature completely puts me off.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yrah like Rocket said, try Smyths first, nothing to lose. I'm the same, CEX is just too handy and no hassle, even if it means taking a hit of a few quid.

I love the sound of Returnal but lack of 'save and quit' feature completely puts me off.

Take my advice then, wait for it on PS Plus. It’s an excellent game but it just isn’t something that works for me. I was fine with almost all aspects of it, but having to grind for 30 mins just to be able to take one attempt at a boss is a red line for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In contrast, I love Returnal - such a strange, compelling game that’s quite unlike any other game of its scale in recent times. That said, there’s no harm waiting for a save feature to be patched in - at the moment it really is a game you need to clear an evening for if you plan to have a good run. Even last night I was playing through the last stretch of the game and an unlucky room put a swift, sudden end to my 90 minute run. At that stage another run would’ve meant another potentially two-three hour stretch of play!

The game feels great to play so it always draws me back, but certainly a simple ‘save and quit’ feature will be a massive quality of life feature that’ll make it much more approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

In contrast, I love Returnal - such a strange, compelling game that’s quite unlike any other game of its scale in recent times. That said, there’s no harm waiting for a save feature to be patched in - at the moment it really is a game you need to clear an evening for if you plan to have a good run. Even last night I was playing through the last stretch of the game and an unlucky room put a swift, sudden end to my 90 minute run. At that stage another run would’ve meant another potentially two-three hour stretch of play!

The game feels great to play so it always draws me back, but certainly a simple ‘save and quit’ feature will be a massive quality of life feature that’ll make it much more approachable.

I can't wait to play it but I just don't have that kind of time unfortunately. I can't remember the last time i managed to get 3 hours of uninterrupted game play due to marriage and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I can't wait to play it but I just don't have that kind of time unfortunately. I can't remember the last time i managed to get 3 hours of uninterrupted game play due to marriage and kids.

Same! Been struggling to get through Mass Effect Legendary edition. Bloody life! Haha.

Got a replacement USB cable this morning from Playstation Support, works perfect charging my controller. Very strange for a usb cable to fail so quickly that it only works intermittently. Took 2 weeks to arrive but saved me a few quid buying a new one I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

This is actually the exact reason I have not picked it up.
    I've played all of Housemarques games that have being on the PS3/4.
    (Alienation and dead nation are so much fun as a couch co-op!)
    Im used to there busy bullet spray games they release.

However I do not have the time to sit to play Returnal and I think I would equally hate it and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I got me a PS5 finally, last week :)
    It came with Miles Morales.
    It's just a standard edition though, so only that game.
    I figured I might be able to buy an add-on to get the remaster of 2018's Spider-Man, but I can't find that in the store.
    Appears that the only way to get it, is to shell out €80 on the Ultimate edition.
    Is this right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you know what needs to be done....

Enjoy spending time with your wife and kids. Treasure those moments. If the Fast & Furious movies have taught me anything, which they haven't, it's that family is more important than anything. And one day they might introduce a proper save system into Returnal anyway so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭Penn

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I got me a PS5 finally, last week :)
    It came with Miles Morales.
    It's just a standard edition though, so only that game.
    I figured I might be able to buy an add-on to get the remaster of 2018's Spider-Man, but I can't find that in the store.
    Appears that the only way to get it, is to shell out €80 on the Ultimate edition.
    Is this right? :)

At the start menu on Miles Morales, is there an option at the bottom to upgrade to the Ultimate Edition? I don't think it's in the store, but it should be on the main start menu when you open the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Penn wrote: »
    At the start menu on Miles Morales, is there an option at the bottom to upgrade to the Ultimate Edition? I don't think it's in the store, but it should be on the main start menu when you open the game.

Ah good stuff Penn :)
    It's L1 on the main menu.
    €20 to upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Hi all I'm sure this has been asked before so I won't ask for a big discussion on it.

Im looking to get a headset to use for night time gaming in the sitting room. Is the official ps5 headset good all-rounder or is it worth paying extra for one of the steel series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Rift Apart on Oled might be the best looking game I’ve yet seen

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Rift Apart on Oled might be the best looking game I’ve yet seen

It looks insane, the performance RT mode is something I wouldn't have thought possible when the PS5 specs were confirmed, the fact that they are doing something like this within 6 months of launch bodes very well for the future.

I’m playing in the 4k 40fps mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,828 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

60FPS is my go to.

I'd rather play 1080 at 60 than 4K at 30 as the higher FPS adds more to the experience than the extra resolution.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    60FPS is my go to.

I'd rather play 1080 at 60 than 4K at 30 as the higher FPS adds more to the experience than the extra resolution.

The 40 FPS mode is a good inbetween imo, If ya have a 120hz screen you can check it out

The 40 FPS mode is a good inbetween imo, If ya have a 120hz screen you can check it out

I have 144hz monitors but Sony in their infinite wisdom decided not to give a 1440 display output so it scales a little funny.

I also have a Samsung frame TV but that doesn't do 120fps unless I'm mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Varik

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I have 144hz monitors but Sony in their infinite wisdom decided not to give a 1440 display output so it scales a little funny.

I also have a Samsung frame TV but that doesn't do 120fps unless I'm mistaken.

For the Samsung Frames it depends on size and year, the 55" and up for all the yearly version do 120 but the smaller sizes don't.

2021 is the first year the smaller ones do 120Hz, and 2021 is also the first year the HDMI 2.1 ports aren't low bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I was surprised how good the 40fps is. I’m entirely for the fidelity option in everything so having this as a potential new target for first parties and beyond would be absolutely perfect for me!

Varik wrote: »
    For the Samsung Frames it depends on size and year, the 55" and up for all the yearly version do 120 but the smaller sizes don't.

2021 is the first year the smaller ones do 120Hz, and 2021 is also the first year the HDMI 2.1 ports aren't low bandwidth.

Mine is 43" and we bought it in January from Richer Sounds so I assume it's the 2020 model but I'm not sure.

I don't actually have the PS5 plugged into it though as that's set up in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement