Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

• 28-06-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Let's compile a list of "smart tariffs" as this sounds like something everyone will need when switching suppliers

Is it just me or this is nowhere near as good as the standard night/day rate meters?

557042.JPG

The night rate is expensive enough and apparently there's also a Paek rate where it gets even more expensive.

This is for BordGais which I am currently with, using an Urban 24 hour tariff where my unit rate is 14.94c/kw (VAT inc) but I am at the end of my contract and need to probably move.

One very strange thing that I was told is that once you move to a Smart Tariff, you CAN'T EVER go back to the non-smart tariffs, i.e. the 24hr one.

There's more things to take into account, like std charges which are not the same, etc.

Absolute nonsense if you ask me as this is the whole point of the smart meter but just looks like a way to get you ripped off even more as these rates are not great at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Energia's smart tariff

557048.JPG

And yes you have to have their own battery to qualify for their Grid tariff (the FIT one, that pays 7c/kw exported), I think they also mention €14,000 for 2kwp and 4.8kw battery system - what an absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats an affinity code discount?
    where is their low night rate for e-cars?

I presume this is only with folk with a smart meter, maybe best called a gouge meter

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Energia's smart tariff

557048.JPG
    You've a 38% discount shown?
    If you select via Bonkers.ie saying you've a smart meter it gives you this option from Energia which says it has a 41% discount. It also doesn't have a peak rate.
    Unit rate inc VAT (cent/kWh)
    15.55 cent (day rate)
    7.46 cent (night rate)

Airtricity

557053.JPG

Dudda wrote: »
    You've a 38% discount shown?
    If you select via Bonkers.ie saying you've a smart meter it gives you this option from Energia which says it has a 41% discount. It also doesn't have a peak rate.
    Unit rate inc VAT (cent/kWh)
    15.55 cent (day rate)
    7.46 cent (night rate)

Yeah that's the old non-smart tariff rate (two meters) which is way way better than the smart ones.
    I presume this is only with folk with a smart meter, maybe best called a gouge meter

100% - can we not cry to the EU or something because these prices are shockingly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Airtricity

557053.JPG

wow, why would anyone choose the smart option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Pretty grim looking. The savings from PV amplified even more...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

The worst part is the extortionate standing charges. They were already ridiculous but massively increased for smart plans along with the rates

I am assuming for FIT you will be forced to pick a smart tariff which will make it useless - time to stock up on batteries.
    The worst part is the extortionate standing charges. They were already ridiculous but massively increased for smart plans along with the rates

Yes, usually €50 more as if they're doing you a favour with the horrendous Smart fees.
    I spoke to someone in Energia today asking them about the smart tariffs and they told me to stay well away from them
    But with their 41/39% standard tariff from Bonkers is still one of the best ones around, even with higher standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Looks like I'll be refusing a smart meter until forced to get one! You'll be much better staying with an old meter than FIT if those prices are true.

I'm paying 14.86 a unit after VAT so unless it's a very generous FIT it's pointless.

• Advertisement

Well I think I am getting one in the next week or two but will probably choose to stay on the 24hr tariff for a while.
    Looks like the day/night meters are the better value

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well I think I am getting one in the next week or two but will probably choose to stay on the 24hr tariff for a while.
    Looks like the day/night meters are the better value

Been saying that all along!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

+1, stay way from Smart Meters until we know more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

With Energia at least the smart rates have a standing charge that is about 50 lower for the year than the day night meter.
    But if you are charging an EV at night you won't be long paying that back and more with the higher night unit rate.

dloob wrote: »
    With Energia at least the smart rates have a standing charge that is about 50 lower for the year than the day night meter.
    But if you are charging an EV at night you won't be long paying that back and more with the higher night unit rate.

The EV rate is only for day/night meter which I assume you can't get once you have the "smart" meter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

dloob wrote: »

Their smart price plan has a standing charges of 198 euro for urban which means at least 30 euro more for rural. At the minute I'm paying 149 euro for rural standing charges with flogas for electricity only. So that 80 euro more for standing charges alone before taking in new extortionate rates which would buy a lot of electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

irishchris wrote: »
    Their smart price plan has a standing charges of 198 euro for urban which means at least 30 euro more for rural. At the minute I'm paying 149 euro for rural standing charges with flogas for electricity only. So that 80 euro more for standing charges alone before taking in new extortionate rates which would buy a lot of electricity

Energia go with lower rates and higher standing charges.
    Their standard urban 24hr meter standing charge is 198, with day/night meter being 248.
    Those are the urban rates, rural are 250 and 315.
    The standing charges aren't smart meter specific, the crappy unit rates are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

Energia's smart tariff

557048.JPG

And yes you have to have their own battery to qualify for their Grid tariff (the FIT one, that pays 7c/kw exported), I think they also mention €14,000 for 2kwp and 4.8kw battery system - what an absolute joke

This is too funny if it wasn't so insulting... see the attached Word doc... Energia's 4 smart plans are virtually identical. Will be switching from them in Jan 2022 and never going back to them.

(I briefly considered emailing them but what really is the point, if you don't get an AI Bot, you get generic replies from the human bots)

CRU complaint email: QCSOfficer@cru.ie (https://www.cru.ie/home/about-cru/customer-action-plan/#cru-complaints-procedure)
    Irish Times Price Watch: pricewatch@irishtimes.com (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer)
    minister.ryan@decc.gov.ie

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Iberdrola smart tariffs: (all VAT inclusive)

Green online saver 26 24hr smart:
    Unit rate (24h) 18.19¢
    Annual standing charge (Urban)€208.00
    Annual standing charge (Rural)€248.81
    Public service obligation levy€88.80
    Exit fees€50.00

Green online saver 26 standard smart tariff:
    Unit rate (Day: 08:00 - 23:00) excluding peak 19.59¢
    Unit rate (Night: 23:00 - 08:00) 10.56¢
    Unit rate (Peak: 17:00 - 19:00) 23.96¢
    Annual standing charge (Urban) €208.00
    Annual standing charge (Rural) €248.81
    Public service obligation levy €88.80
    Exit fees €50.00

Green online saver 26 weekend smart
    Unit rate (Monday - Friday: 24hr) 18.41¢
    Unit rate (Saturday & Sunday: 24hr) 17.65¢
    Annual standing charge (Urban)€208.00
    Annual standing charge (Rural) €248.81
    Public service obligation levy €88.80
    Exit fees €50.00

so is the energia special rate for ev owners gone?

• Advertisement

It is still the but hidden away very nicely, you need to select standard not smart tariffs and go to page 2 using the arrows. The site is quite poor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Are all the energy price increases which are being announced, also applying to the smart meter policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

so is the energia special rate for ev owners gone?

the EV plan is not a smart plan, only available with the D\N meter afaik

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

jkforde wrote: »
    the EV plan is not a smart plan, only available with the D\N meter afaik

yep need to get the d/n before they stuff me with a smart!

Not smart meter charges but Electric Ireland seem to have the lowest standing charges but expensive unit rates so I'm not sure if makes sense to go with them VS Energia with their lower unit rates but ridiculous standing charges, 234 elec and 123 gas
    Good months with the PV won't matter but afraid of their winter shafting
    Also it looks like their hikes are not factored in yet.

557731.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Prices only going one way, Energia were good but by Thursday this week they'll have had a 19% increase in a little over 3months.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

It really annoys me that they tie you in for 12 months and then raise the prices without you being allowed to change supplier.

If a broadband or phone provider changes the terms of the contract, you get to walk away. I'll never understand why utilities providers are allowed to get away with this.

That variable rate contract is a joke, basically you're just supposed to take the hits whether you like it or not
    slave1 wrote: »
    Prices only going one way, Energia were good but by Thursday this week they'll have had a 19% increase in a little over 3months.

Good to know, I'll hang back and see what they do. Also on bonkers their standing charges are higher than if you go via their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It really annoys me that they tie you in for 12 months and then raise the prices without you being allowed to change supplier.

Not sure what you mean. I signed up with Energia for a new contract a few months ago and my unit prices are fixed for the year. 4.8c / kWh night and 16.8c / kWh day. Both including VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

If a broadband or phone provider changes the terms of the contract, you get to walk away. I'll never understand why utilities providers are allowed to get away with this.

There are fixed price contracts available also, I think you can filter by this on bonkers.ie

Advertisement