Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill airfield-did it ever happen?

Options
  • 02-07-2021 9:11am

I remember reading a long time ago about plans for an airfield on Achill. Obviously nothing came of it but was it ever an actual thing or am I misremembering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    I remember reading a long time ago about plans for an airfield on Achill. Obviously nothing came of it but was it ever an actual thing or am I misremembering?

Not sure I can recall hearing about it. Achill is so bloody windy I wouldn't fancy trying to land there anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

SeaSlacker wrote: »

Why would it need an airfield it's got a bridge.

Maybe innisbiggle island off achill but I heard of it getting a Hovercraft and a Cable car at various times so a airfield was probably mentioned again.

Can't see another airfield the one in innisboffin is not used at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Inis Bigil only has a landing pad for the Air Ambulance. Which with two ferries is more than adequate.

Advertisement