Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Cazale wrote: »
    Pappy Van Winkle tasting tonight. Six whiskeys from the range. The Old Rip Van Winkle 13 year old was the first official bottle in Ireland and was a stunning Rye Whiskey. The 23 year old was one of the best I've ever tasted. Pity the secondary market is so crazy as I'd love a bottle. Don't think I have a spare €6000 though for it!

The 23 is in a class of its own IMO.
    arodabomb wrote: »
    Yeah, it was an incredible line-up. The 20 was my favourite, 23 a close second. You can see why it has gained it's reputation. Not saying it's worth 6k/bottle but you can see why it is sought after.

Almost hard to enjoy knowing you'll likely never taste them again. Even to buy that tasting pack on the market would be over a grand based on those bottle prices.

In fairness, the distributor here in Ireland does a good job of making it accessible. The US is literally wild and has been for a long time on any "popular" bourbons, but for example Eagle Rare and even Buffalo Trace itself, and lineups like Weller, regularly make it onto the allocated shelves here. I think the secondary market is so difficult to work in the fragmented market of Europe, works to our advantage.

What's interesting, if you've tasted the Pappy lineup, is that its rarity doesn't make it all totally unique. There's a few products in the lineup from BT distilleries that compares. It's mythical because it's rare but you can get close without spending €1,000.

Speaking of bourbon, I had to laugh when I got a special offer email there from an Irish retailer during the week, Mellow Corn €45 down from €50. I've spoken before about some of the odd pricing decisions with US whiskey, tariffs or no tariffs, but that one takes the biscuit.

Mellow Corn is a bottom of bottom shelf whiskey, retailing for $15 in the US. Pricing it beside Woodford Reserve (which goes for about $40 at home) in your lineup in Dublin is pretty much gauging your customers who, yes, might pay for the rarity of seeing it here, but jaysus lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Speaking of bourbon, I had to laugh when I got a special offer email there from an Irish retailer during the week, Mellow Corn €45 down from €50. I've spoken before about some of the odd pricing decisions with US whiskey, tariffs or no tariffs, but that one takes the biscuit.

Mellow Corn is a bottom of bottom shelf whiskey, retailing for $15 in the US. Pricing it beside Woodford Reserve (which goes for about $40 at home) in your lineup in Dublin is pretty much gauging your customers who, yes, might pay for the rarity of seeing it here, but jaysus lads.

Celtic Whiskey shop had Angels Envy in. About $50 (42 ish euro) in any US offy, 100 euro here. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'm flying to the UK from Dublin in August.

I gather duty free prices are available for whisky... Trying to figure out whether I'm better off buying in Dublin (and doing collection on my return) or buying on the UK leg heading back.

Am I right in the above, for a start, and has anyone had any experience either way?

If you want an Irish whiskey then purchase it in Dublin. A lot of airports in London only sell Scottish Whisky.

Double check if you can still do collection though. Previously it was for European trips only so Brexit might change it for the UK. Also Covid, do they even offer it anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Powers three swallow with a little bit of Talisker 10 mixed in for the craic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

crazyderk wrote: »

Double check if you can still do collection though. Previously it was for European trips only so Brexit might change it for the UK. Also Covid, do they even offer it anymore?

Yep: That’s why I’m asking! Thought someone might have experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

No Euro games on tonight. Might as well make a start on the tasting for the Irish Whiskey Awards. First 8 out of 36 samples. Phew! It’s a marathon not a sprint.

1901Rory wrote:
    No Euro games on tonight. Might as well make a start on the tasting for the Irish Whiskey Awards. First 8 out of 36 samples. Phew! It’s a marathon not a sprint.

Mine are being posted tomorrow. How is it going? Any decent ones. How do you find the blind tasting. Can you tell what categories you might have etc?

cloudatlas wrote:
    Is it just me who feels that all of these tastings are crazy expensive

It's quality over quantity these days for me. I'll go for it if it features an expensive bottle, deconstruction samples, cask samples or hard to find stuff. Not mad on paying 40 or 50 euro for a few standard releases sourced from great northern.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Mine are being posted tomorrow. How is it going? Any decent ones. How do you find the blind tasting. Can you tell what categories you might have etc?

Got through the 8 drams that were in one category. Some decent ones in it, but a few were spikier than i would enjoy. Couldn’t say which category it was for sure but I’d have a wager i could narrow it to three. But that’s the beauty of the blind tasting - cant wait to see how wrong I am.:)

Harder than I thought to rank and compare that many - don’t know how I’m going to manage the category that has 22 drams in it. Interested to hear how you fare when you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Is it just me who feels that all of these tastings are crazy expensive :confused:

Yeah, some prices are starting to take the mick a bit. Really struggling with myself if 95EU is worth it for the Redbreast 27 deconstruction. I know the 27 itself isn't cheap, but I've had Mulligans tastings and they've had more expensive bottles and the price was 35-40EU. You get 120ml of whiskey and for the same price you could get a really decent bottle instead, so wondering if its worth it or not. But you know, Redbreast 27!

• Advertisement

1901Rory wrote: »
      Got through the 8 drams that were in one category. Some decent ones in it, but a few were spikier than i would enjoy. Couldn’t say which category it was for sure but I’d have a wager i could narrow it to three. But that’s the beauty of the blind tasting - cant wait to see how wrong I am.:)

Harder than I thought to rank and compare that many - don’t know how I’m going to manage the category that has 22 drams in it. Interested to hear how you fare when you get them.

I'm half look forwarding to it and half nervous that I might sicken myself with that much whiskey and it becomes a chore. It'll be interesting to see how knowing or not knowing the brand influences scores. Did you spit the whiskey out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I finally opened a bottle of Blue Spot last week, and really enjoying it. I'd had it in a couple of tastings, but first time I was able to drink it at my leisure. I'm really enjoying it!
      Picked up a bottle of batch 2 of the Rum and Raisin Killowen release. Had a quick nip, and found it interesting. Will have a proper drink of it later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

cloudatlas wrote: »
      What's the story with Poitin. Do you drink it neat? Is it more like vodka or gin? What's the profile like?

Bar 1661 off Capel St. make a lovely cocktail with poitin, called a Belfast Coffee.
      Available in those Craft Cocktail premixes they do as well I think. But the cream and nutmeg in the proper version really make it.

https://www.craftcocktails.ie/products/belfast-coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Legion2008

Yep: That’s why I’m asking! Thought someone might have experience.

Click and Collect is only available for non Duty Free purchases.

For Duty Free purchases the bottle needs to leave the country (nothing to stop it coming back in via checked in luggage)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Legion2008 wrote: »
      Click and Collect is only available for non Duty Free purchases.

For Duty Free purchases the bottle needs to leave the country (nothing to stop it coming back in via checked in luggage)

I got a nice bottle of Powers waiting for me in Dublin Airport a few years back, I can't remember the details but there wasn't a huge saving on shop prices.

I dont think the selection in UK duty free is great, lots of airport specials, the JD Wetherspoons do offer tasting menus though.

The first box from the Midleton barrel club has been sent out. It's the Jameson distillery reserve. Would be disappointed enough at that one as it's only €50 a bottle and it's easy to get.

Incidentally I wrote a quick review of the 12 year old Jameson distillery reserve. I wasn't blown away with it.

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/07/03/review-jameson-12-year-old-distillery-reserve/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Just had a wonderful weekend away with Mrs L in Dingle and took a Redbreast 21 over dinner one night. I can understand all the fuss. Simply a stunning dram. Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Cazale wrote:
      The first box from the Midleton barrel club has been sent out. It's the Jameson distillery reserve. Would be disappointed enough at that one as it's only €50 a bottle and it's easy to get.

Wow, I'm kinda happy I held off on that now.

Was that the welcome box perhaps for members? Then they might send out the first 1/4 edit mid July?

I'd be seriously ticked off to drop €500 for a €50 bottle at 40% abv

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

TheG0AT wrote: »
      Wow, I'm kinda happy I held off on that now.

Was that the welcome box perhaps for members? Then they might send out the first 1/4 edit mid July?

It is the welcome pack....1st box is supposed to be September (but I certainly wouldn't say no to it earlier :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's your welcome pack Phil ;)
      That's ones a freebie. So a €60 retails bottle sounds about right.

Each member will receive a welcome gift box containing a specially personalised Distillery Edition bottle, tasting glasses and a journal. Then, each quarter a limited-edition whiskey box including a 700ml bottle along with three 50ml samples will be delivered;
      TheG0AT wrote: »

Pretty sure 500 is the annual price, not the pack price.

Based on the price range of the gift. I'd guess the pack bottles will be a bit better. This is all pure speculation, but at I guess I'd say it would be'
      A Methods and Madness special edition Pot Still.
      A Redbreast - similar the 15yo
      Red Spot
      And maybe an MVR at Christmas

Samples being everything from Black Barrel to the 21 year olds, Barry Crocket, etc.
      You'll definitely be getting more than €500 RRP

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
      That's your welcome pack Phil ;)
      That's ones a freebie. So a €60 retails bottle sounds about right.

I'm not Phil :confused: Nothing is a freebie when you had to pay €500 to get it ;) If that's the welcome pack fair enough. There was a bit of confusion before on how many packs were included. I never signed up so I don't really care either way.

Irish Whiskey Society tasting
      Thursday 15th July 2021 at 7:30pm

We are delighted to announce our July mid-month event and for the month that's in it a Special Tasting Series: Redbreast Stateside. An opportunity to try all the Small Batch Cask Strength releases launched in the United States; a total of five expressions (Small Batch: A, B, C, D & B1/19).

We're delighted that Gerard Garland, Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard will be joining us for this very special tasting to compare and contrast these five American exclusive Cask Cask Strength expressions of the beloved Redbreast side by side;

Redbreast Small Batch A Cask Strength 117.2º Proof (58.6% abv.)
      Redbreast Small Batch B Cask Strength 114.4º Proof (57.2% abv.)
      Redbreast Small Batch C Cask Strength 118.2º Proof (59.1% abv.)
      Redbreast Small Batch D Cask Strength 117.8º Proof (58.9% abv.)
      Redbreast Small Batch B1/19 Cask Strength 117.4º Proof (58.7% abv.)

The lineup includes hard to find cask strength expressions that were only released in the United States; the price of the tasting will be €45.00 to cover the cost of the whiskey, packaging and shipping.

Booking opens on Wednesday 7th of July at 7.00pm.

I love some Redbreast so I'll be signing up for this one.

tyler71 wrote: »
      Yeah, some prices are starting to take the mick a bit. Really struggling with myself if 95EU is worth it for the Redbreast 27 deconstruction. I know the 27 itself isn't cheap, but I've had Mulligans tastings and they've had more expensive bottles and the price was 35-40EU. You get 120ml of whiskey and for the same price you could get a really decent bottle instead, so wondering if its worth it or not. But you know, Redbreast 27!

I've had the Redbreast 27 a couple of times now and needless to say it's a stunning whiskey. First time I had it I paid €50 for 35ml in a pub. You would need to think twice about a tasting for €95 but for the samples included and the fact Dave McCabe is doing it I think it's worth it. I have 100ml of Redbreast 27 so I'm going to pass on it. I'll watch it on YouTube when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not Phil :confused: Nothing is a freebie when you had to pay €500 to get it ;) If that's the welcome pack fair enough. There was a bit of confusion before on how many packs were included. I never signed up so I don't really care either way.
      Ah, I misread you post and thought that was your bottle - hence the Phil ;)

I think it's pretty clear in the details that the welcome gift is a "personalised Distillery Edition". Then it's 4 more packs, ie one every 3 months.

I'd have gone for it if it was available here. But probably have enough wine memberships.

Mellor wrote:
      Ah, I misread you post and thought that was your bottle - hence the Phil

Ah right I see now. I got that picture off a fella called Phil. Didn't see the personalised bit!

Irish distillers have officially taken over the Knappogue Castle and Clontarf brands. Knappogue Castle have had some decent releases and have an interesting history. Would be ripe for an IDL led expansion like the spots and Redbreast ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Irish distillers have officially taken over the Knappogue Castle and Clontarf brands. Knappogue Castle have had some decent releases and have an interesting history. Would be ripe for an IDL led expansion like the spots and Redbreast ranges.

Interesting news, I have really liked the Knappogue 14 year old and some of the 12 year old wine cask finishes (Barolo).

Edit - I see from he press release that "these whiskeys will have an Asian market focus, with goals on expanding the Irish premium single malt category in the region."
      https://potstilled.com/2021/07/06/knapogue-castle-idl/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Waterford are releasing a distillery exclusive. Ballyroe: Edition 1.1. €75,00

An Baile Rua, the red farmstead, is where Simon Neville has farmed for some forty years. Five miles north of Wexford town - a stone’s throw from the Blackwater - his land sits on the Seafield Series derived from sand & mudstones – its sandy, course texture makes for a challenging terroir in drier years and fruitier, more floral spirit.
      Head Distiller's Observations

Appearance: Amber hue.

Nose: A mid summers garden in bloom, marzipan, honey, heather, dry clay, rhubarb, fennel, orange zest, barley, sherry and rose water.

Taste: White pepper, sherbet, orange marmalade, dark chocolate, stewed rhubarb that’s sticky, fizzy cherry cola, fresh bread loaf, bell peppers and clove sweets.

Finish: A finish that doesn’t seem to stop, with a dark chocolate orange spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Waterford are releasing a distillery exclusive. Ballyroe: Edition 1.1. €75,00

An Baile Rua, the red farmstead, is where Simon Neville has farmed for some forty years. Five miles north of Wexford town - a stone’s throw from the Blackwater - his land sits on the Seafield Series derived from sand & mudstones – its sandy, course texture makes for a challenging terroir in drier years and fruitier, more floral spirit.
      Head Distiller's Observations

Appearance: Amber hue.

Nose: A mid summers garden in bloom, marzipan, honey, heather, dry clay, rhubarb, fennel, orange zest, barley, sherry and rose water.

Taste: White pepper, sherbet, orange marmalade, dark chocolate, stewed rhubarb that’s sticky, fizzy cherry cola, fresh bread loaf, bell peppers and clove sweets.

Finish: A finish that doesn’t seem to stop, with a dark chocolate orange spice.

That’s Expensive.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That’s Expensive.

€75 is the usual price for Waterford release, you can sometimes pick up a bottle on offer in O'Briens for €65 but I've never seen it cheaper than that.
      They are hit and miss though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement