Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish 'Fashion' trends from when you were a teen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Early 00s, lots of lads wore these huge baggy chord trousers (maybe they were skateboarding trousers), usually completing the look with frosted tips and a tight River Island beaded necklace. They died a death in the main after, but 10 years later Id be around Limerick and see some tragic fella still in them.

Its a D4 trope but the polo shirt with the collar turned up, Dockers trousers and deck shoes could be seen around Limerick also.

But nothing comes close to the tragedy of the Crosshatch / mushroom haircut brigade of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Shirts with "tails". Was a Curehead thing. In fact, Curehead fashion in general.

Denim jackets covered in thrash metal band patches. Off to the Sound Cellar!

Definitely undercuts. Blade 1 or 2 up the back and sides, let the top grow long.

Oh and Docs you get now will never be like the Docs you had when you were younger - they'll always look new, unless you wear them all day, every day, to everything you ever go to, for 3 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Big plastic dummies on a cord to wear around your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Wavebird wrote: »
    Army surplus jackets with German flags on the sleeves.

This, and later Desert Boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember it seemed pretty much every teenage/college age girl from middle class backgrounds seemed to wear Canterbury tracksuit bottoms, coloury cute socks, and boat shoes. It was just the most bizarre combo, I haven't seen it in years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭appledrop

deise08 wrote: »
    Big plastic dummies on a cord to wear around your neck.

We all went to Monsey one year on school trip and every single one of us came back with one of these along with the actual lollipop version you could eat.

We thought we looked so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Does anyone remember "crepes"? Christ.

Blue or red ones, worn with your hair in a DA?

Early 00s, lots of lads wore these huge baggy chord trousers (maybe they were skateboarding trousers), usually completing the look with frosted tips and a tight River Island beaded necklace.

Lol, that was a really bad trend, your description really took me back to 00/01 type of time, before 9-11 changed everything and frosted tips were no more!

After or before (can't remember) eclipse & x work jeans were levi 501 which you had to have and cost a fortune.

We could only afford Lee or wrangler jeans so I wasn't in with the 'cool' crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Skinhead with a long fringe and a piebald horse. That was a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh and Docs you get now will never be like the Docs you had when you were younger - they'll always look new, unless you wear them all day, every day, to everything you ever go to, for 3 years. :)

Do they still cut the feet off you till you soften up the leather? But my God, it was worth it, they lasted years and mine got me out of a few very nasty situations more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Somewhere like that. The kind of place you'd find flower sellers and hawkers.

I was young and not familiar with the area. Definitely on the Northside and close to the City Centre.

Think you went down Moore street and turned left behind the ilac, there were a few stalls outside lockup type units.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Those stupid hipster jeans,

These things? https://images.app.goo.gl/Eir7NbDfGvkSZx6G7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Baggy jeans not the 70's ones but the early 2000's ones. In England there was a trend in the early 2000's that girls would wear their jeans below the waist line so showing off the thong. Going back to the early 90's the rockers, where the lads wore skin tight jeans and boot runners and the girls wore baggy clothes.

I remember it seemed pretty much every teenage/college age girl from middle class backgrounds seemed to wear Canterbury tracksuit bottoms, coloury cute socks, and boat shoes. It was just the most bizarre combo, I haven't seen it in years though.

When I was in college(UCD) all the wealthy girls( not us!)had miss sixty jeans. They were low rise and bet onto your bum with massive flares at the end.

They cost about €140!

That's mad money even today, but 20 years ago it was scandalous. That's D4 for you.

I remember Miss Sixty yes, there was a shop in Covent Garden when I lived there, are they still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

thrashers , known as skinny jeans now but in my day combined with moon boots they were the uniform of thrash metal back in the day when there was only a gee hair between Metallica slayer and megadeth

I think they're called lo-riders and I think they're coming back I read somewhere.

I think he meant these though

Screen-Shot-2018-11-25-at-10.55.01-AM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

appledrop wrote: »
    We all went to Monsey one year on school trip and every single one of us came back with one of these along with the actual lollipop version you could eat.

We thought we looked so cool!

So did I but mosney was homelands that weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Tell me I'm not the only person who remembers the t-shirts that would change colour when heated?

• Advertisement

Bassfish wrote: »
    Tell me I'm not the only person who remembers the t-shirts that would change colour when heated?

yeah we covered that one, global hypercolor

I remember Miss Sixty yes, there was a shop in Covent Garden when I lived there, are they still a thing?

Don't think so anymore, although I do notice flared jeans/ trousers are coming back in with teenagers.

They look horrified when I tell them I used to wear those!

appledrop wrote: »
    Don't think so anymore, although I do notice flared jeans/ trousers are coming back in with teenagers.

They look horrified when I tell them I used to wear those!

yeah noticed that girls are wearing bell bottom type things these days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

iamstop wrote: »
    What trends do you remember and shudder to think back on? What trends do you still do or think could still be decent today?

I remember when 'step' haircuts were a big trend. Sorta silly looking now. Never looked right on me with my cows lick fringe anyway.

Bomber Jackets.

Doc Martins

X-Worx Jeans

LA Gear

Blacktorn shoes. Remember those yokes?

It is very long ago but we used to tightly sew up the inside seams of our jeans and you had to wriggle into them and lie on the bed to zip and button them. There was no stretchy denim, these were hard core times. Topped off with a big baggy jumper stolen from yer Da.

Bassfish wrote: »

What no way! Never heard of these.

I do remember we were obsessed with mood rings that
    supposedly changed colour with your mood but really it was just change in temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Crazy-haired trolls on pencils.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Crazy-haired trolls on pencils.

Stop!!!!!!! I had loads of these for all my pencils in school.

Lads this is a great thread, a trip down memory lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Barry McGuigan tashes among some fellas. Continued into the 90s as the wacker tash. Largely disappeared post 2000.

Was it not because of Mark Spitz?

Advertisement