Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bay South By-Election

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

jm08 wrote: »
    When did he become Pro Choice?

Probably right around May 25th 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Journal isn't a serious news site.

The content of the articles on the site itself is fine. The comments sections though....

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

He was Creighton’s parliamentary assistant. Not unnatural for him to follow her without subscribing to her views on abortion. Alternative was being out of a job.

Even less reason to vote for him. Zero scruples. Joined a loony fringe political party because of his own job prospects. And when that went tits-up, he rejoined his previous party because, well, because of his own job prospects. We could do with fewer people like him in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Even less reason to vote for him. Zero scruples. Joined a loony fringe political party because of his own job prospects. And when that went tits-up, he rejoined his previous party because, well, because of his own job prospects. We could do with fewer people like him in Irish politics.

Oh, Jesus… What a stupid take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I see this is the alternative history forum for some. Regardless of the circumstances that resulted in the creation of a new party, Renua didn't become the anti choice party we know today until after the original founders had left. As an example, a quick google tells me that 5 of its 16 2016 general election candidates were pro choice. Seems to be lost on many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

What's stupid about it? Do you not think we've already got enough careerist chancers in Irish politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I see this is the alternative history forum for some. Regardless of the circumstances that resulted in the creation of a new party, Renua didn't become the anti choice party we know today until after the original founders had left. As an example, a quick google tells me that 5 of its 16 2016 general election candidates were pro choice. Seems to be lost on many.

So 1 in 3 of them were pro choice?

What happened to his job when Lucinda lost her seat in 2016? Did he have trouble getting a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

jm08 wrote: »
    What happened to his job when Lucinda lost her seat in 2016? Did he have trouble getting a job?

I presume she didn't need a parliamentary assistant when she lost her seat. Given his qualifications and experience I doubt he was on the scrap heap for long. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Jizique

Not really, silver spoon who never had a real job despite his law degree - bit like Murphy in that respect, moving from one sinecure to another, Creighton, Bruton all opening doors for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

CarProblem wrote: »
    I don't believe I or anyone should accept mediocrity so "best of a bad bunch" isn't what I believe we should settle for. I don't settle for it in my daily life, I don't accept it from my team in work and I'm not going to settle for it when voting

The first (non religious zealot / non xenophonic) party that merely looks at our model of expenditure and taxation and says out loud its unsustainable will get my vote. They don't even have to agree with me that its idiotic, unfair and completely punishes ambition. Just recognise in public that it's unsustainable

Until then my mantra is (almost) anyone but FF/FG/Labour/GP.

Thanks for your answer. I’m still genuinely curious as to who that “anyone but” actually is. Presumably independents for the most part, since as others have pointed out, most of the other parties are further to the left?

I don’t mean this as a criticism of you at all, by the way. I agree with you for the most part, although I’d be more moderate in that I do think there are some things the State should invest in. Climate and some parts of health, for example. Anyway, I won’t derail the thread any further. I just found your views interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Jizique wrote: »
    Not really, silver spoon who never had a real job despite his law degree - bit like Murphy in that respect, moving from one sinecure to another, Creighton, Bruton all opening doors for him

You people simply cannot be for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,758 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't get the vibe Bacik is that bothered about housing either.

Years in politics and I don't think she ever veered into economic issues.

Not really true

For example off the top of my head she bought forwars the legislation on freelance workers rights.

https://innovationinpolitics.eu/showroom/project/protection-for-freelance-workers/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Jizique

Convince me otherwise; I can see nothing in his embellished cv to suggest he had ever had a job which involved needing to be interviewed for anything, all just contacts smoothing the path to council and parliament.
    A couple of years down the law library would be a good idea.
    Murphy was the same - UN taxfree role doing feck all before coming home to a “safe seat” and it is clear they thought they could drop this chap with his legal royalty background into the safe seat after two useless years on the council

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The content of the articles on the site itself is fine. The comments sections though....

All 4 paragraphs they copy off the Irish Times?

There is an attempt to distinguish Bacik from the FG person, as many from the outside don't see much difference between the two candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is an attempt to distinguish Bacik from the FG person, as many from the outside don't see much difference between the two candidates.

Who's finding it hard to see the difference between the one who was threatened with jail for providing abortion information at age 17 and was at the forefront of the abortion rights debate for 30 years and the one who worked for Creighton at Renua?

Who is this "many from the outside?" - from what I can see this is absolute waffle

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Annasopra wrote: »
    Who is this "many from the outside?" - from what I can see this is absolute waffle

Tis a bit of an echo chamber in here with the Bacik fans. The ones who think she's a bit uppity and just as much an embodiment of middle class privilege as the FG lad are staying out of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is a moratorium from 6am tomorrow. boards.ie is going read only while they update the software.

So get your posts in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Prine Time review:

Deirdre Conry - another unintelligible ramble.
    James Geoghegan - strong communications but via soundbote. An ampry suit.
    Lynn Boylan - spoke well - better than the debate, don’t think it will change her position.
    Ivana Bacik - some will see it as preachy
    Claire Byrne - another strong communicator, engaging.
    Sarah Durcan - she won’t feature but I like her. SocDems need to get more TDsto balance out the negative smaller parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

athlone573 wrote: »
    Tis a bit of an echo chamber in here with the Bacik fans. The ones who think she's a bit uppity and just as much an embodiment of middle class privilege as the FG lad are staying out of it.

Uppity? Really.

Who's finding it hard to see the difference between the one who was threatened with jail for providing abortion information at age 17 and was at the forefront of the abortion rights debate for 30 years and the one who worked for Creighton at Renua?

The vote isn't about their history on abortion rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not really. I know people have done the barrister road the hard way. Not from prominent political or legal families in Dublin without one tenth of the opportunities that Geoghegan would have had at is fingertips via the social capital of his parents (not to mention his wider family).

Let's all pretend that his life path is a result of his shining brilliance and intelligence and nothing to do his family's station.

The vote isn't about their history on abortion rights.

No but that is one example of their difference and shows your claim up as nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I see John Bruton came out to bat for James Geoghegan in the Irish Times letters pages. John bristles at the fact that Una Mullaly brought up he interned in the EU embassy in Washington while Bruton was Ambassador and said he was a great little operator altogether. If someone in James' family/circle didn't pick up the phone or write an email to John to get James his sweetheart internship while he was in college I'll eat a boiled shoe.

This is the point. This is how privilege replicates itself. Never mind there are thousands of competent bright Irish students that would thrive should they get an opportunity like that via a competitive process. And that many wouldn't have the means to support themselves without patronage or wealthy parents. While James the scion of a legal and political dynasty gets shuffled in there no bother to make his CV look tip-top.

Fine Gael just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yurt! wrote: »
    I see John Bruton came out to bat for James Geoghegan in the Irish Times letters pages. John bristles at the fact that Una Mullaly brought up he interned in the EU embassy in Washington while Bruton was Ambassador and said he was a great little operator altogether. If someone in James' family/circle didn't pick up the phone or write an email to John to get James his sweetheart internship while he was in college I'll eat a boiled shoe.

This is the point. This is how privilege replicates itself. Never mind there are thousands of competent bright Irish students that would thrive should they get an opportunity like that via a competitive process. And that many wouldn't have the means to support themselves without patronage or wealthy parents. While James the scion of a legal and political dynasty gets shuffled in there no bother to make his CV look tip-top.

Fine Gael just don't get it.

So your entire rant about him is made up on an assumption?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, it is all over now - Ivana Bacik won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭PommieBast

A much-needed victory for Labour. Interesting the FG vote held up while FF & Green tanked.

That may be the FF Green voters voted for IB. The vote was very low, so enthusiasm helped. I had a posse of FG outriders looking to shoo us to the polls, but we had already been. FG and SF got their vote out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he is councillor in the area, that was his profile. I don't think you can be parachuted in over somebody who didn't put themselves forward.

Advertisement