Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're moving - Read-Only 7th July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Out with the old in with the new....

Bye everyone it's been a pleasure....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

My work won't know whats hit it tomorrow when I get some work done. Do my regulated learning.
    Update my LinkedIn.
    I'm going to be super efficient like I was back in 2001.

See you on the other side Boards.ie

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

the_syco wrote: »
    So many bosses will wonder why we had a productive day :pac:

There's always Facebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Some avatars that don't date back to the 1990s might be nice.

Oh no, didn't think of that. I'm going to miss Mr. Strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's always Facebook :)

Or constantly checking - are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This is a bit like visiting your Nan in hospital just before she gets her hip operation.

You know life will be better for her after it, but a little bit of you is worried that she won’t wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭global23214124

Good luck with the move. Hope ye pull it off without too many hiccups :)

I'm very frrightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wonder if there's an aware for whoever posts the last item before read-only mode is applied, so they'll appear at the top of the homepage for at least 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

The next two days are vital

• Advertisement

cefh17 wrote: »
    The next two days are vital

We must flatten the curve! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Wonder how much of the past post data will be archived (or possibly :( dumped) in the transition, preserving and transferring all the years of boards data must be overwhelming for any format.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dulpit wrote: »
    Wonder if there's an aware for whoever posts the last item before read-only mode is applied, so they'll appear at the top of the homepage for at least 24 hours?

Be a great time to advertise ;-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If anyone is having Boards withdrawal symptoms...

https://www.facebook.com/boards.ie
    https://twitter.com/boards_ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Good. At least now I’ll have time to update my Bebo page. Been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's something important I have to tell you. I -

I seem to have acquired 2100+ more posts (and counting) in the transition, oh my.

^ never mind, it was figured out - puzzles on the old platform didnae count posts, so the extra post numbers makes sense now - i cant seem to delete the above post so just putting it here, cheers

I do have 3 questions, when all this gets settled ...... (1) vanilla offers no way to delete pm's (or discussions) ???

I wish we had learned this before the transfer, I would've cleaned off all my old pm's. "Leaving the conversation" doesn't seem the same (at all)...it does appear even our old messages (even those deleted formerly) are tallied (given there is a number under the conversation).

and... (2) if we choose to close our account, can this be done? and (3) will all our post data remain on our profile page, or will it get scrambled as it was on the old platform?

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Oh. Lookit. I can post.

• Advertisement

I presume there's still some changes to come? It's very hard to navigate and the follow button doesn't seem to work, I still need to scroll through all the categories to find a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Is this the finished product?? It's absolutely awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,179 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Desktop site is decent.

Touch, not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like another purge of our information and settings like before

I am completely lost anyway on the desktop site :)

1) I Can not find how to follow / unfollow a forum.

2) I Can not find the way to mark posts in a forum as read, or mark posts in all forums read option.

3) I can not find a screen like we used to have that shows you only which forums you are subbed to and if there are new posts in them.

4) I can not find the Advranced Search Function to filter by dates and username and more.

5) Many threads are showing "new" posts in them even though there is no posts new. Sometimes no posts new for many years.

6) The "Last post" date shown on some threads is different to the actual last post. For example if I look at "After Hours" the thread "Information for those in need of a little extra help *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*" shows as "Last Post" the information "13-11-13 13:49 whoopsadaisydo". But if I actually open that thread that is the date of the first post, not the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I cant seem to find the Soccer forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

It's not the 1st of April is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

Initial thoughts, it's way, way worse than before, sadly.

Moving "latest Posts, my forums, my threads, trending, and thanks" to the homepage is not necessarily a bad idea. However it ain't broke don't fix it. Where it was in the top right corner was better as you had easy access to it.

In any kind of website, user expereince etc type thing, the crucial thing is eliminating clicks to get what you want. Adding them is terrible from this point of view.

Now when you go into any thread, the "latest Posts, my forums, my threads, trending, and thanks" disappears, it means you have to click back to the homepage to access them. This is immensely frustrating.

Also the site seems, way, way slower, but maybe that's just me, or maybe it might improve.

I hope it is all still a work in progress. You will get a huge amount of feedback( i.e, complaints! :) ) over the next few days. I really hope it can be taken on board and then changes implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can only access the front page and threads on it. No topics, talk to or regional. No navigation.

• Advertisement

Not sure if anyone else having this issue - but if you however your mouse over the username of someone who posted in the thread (like if I hover over looksee above me here) it shows two options to "View Profile" or "Send message".

However the moment I move my mouse to select one of those two options - the options disappear too fast - so you can not actually select either of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement