Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Early days ... it will improve I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Its alright so far. When these major upgrades happen, this tends to be how they turn out:

-Much/most important touch features inaccessible

-Swankier UI

-Usually fewer clicks to get to where to wanna be

-Some older shortcuts such as searching for board names are no longer possible

I mean it does look a lot better, and as much as I liked the older UI more, leaving it in a state of inertia is just not how you grow a website. There's a reason Facebook and YouTube are constantly changing their UI to the annoyance of their users, it's to give the impression of freshness and to show that the website isn't being abandoned.

Edit: also I'm not looking for arguments on this post or anything, this is just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Where is the ''My threads'' bit gone? will it be back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

After trying on and off for a couple of hours I’m pretty sure this is worse than it first seemed. The old set up was quite easy to navigate but this is awkward and I’m fairly sure it’s not because of glitches. It’s amateur hour releasing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

I liked the old one and this new one is meh! On the old version I felt more content was visible on my screen and now I have to scroll through a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boards.ie, 1998 - 2021. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

genuinely going to take a break from boards.ie. Old site was fine. New site trying to be the old site but failing miserably from a speed, UX and functionality point of view. Im sure it will get better with the one dev working on it at some stage in the future. Or........ they might just cut losses and revert back to the old site. I hate to get in the way of progress, but I really dont see any.... no one likes change of course, but this is just amateur hour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can’t make head nor tail of it. This is really bad lads

You’ve just been promoted to 4 ⭐️

I think they’re working on stuff as we speak.

if developers are reading this, when I click my icon at the top and look to the left and see notifications, I click on that and the info drops down behind the existing screen

and like button is back 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they need to bring back the drop down menu for getting to forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well when the new company you use to run your site takes a week to get it going (badly and unfinished) then I wouldn't hold out much hope for their competency from here on out.

Hope boards have an opt out option from these vanilla keystone cowboys.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

It's craptacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just about coping on the PC .I cant for the life of me figure it out on my phone ? 😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Look at all that empty blue space on the top ribbon after Discussions/Categories/Groups - they should have all the categories listed across there instead with drop down menus when you hover over each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Trying to navigate, search or look up different threads is a complete nightmare. The posting is a shambles, it looks like your post could end up anywhere in the thread.

The stars at the side is the only thing that looks like an improvement.

Unless there's some serious improvements over the next few days, I think this site won't be around for long, not when there's others that you can actually follow threads.

What you've done is take a decent sandwich, and decided that it would look tastier cut into triangles, and then used a pneumatic drill and some dynamite to make the cut, and left a complete disaster afterwards.

Nein. Nein. Nein.

That's how many times I've gone 'Hmm' while looking at the new interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's not as bad as I thought it would be and will take a while to get used to bu I'm sure it's a work in progress , at least it's back up and running !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What is the "level" thing that is there , is it based on your old profie

It's going to take some getting used to. It was predictable that a new platform wouldn't initially be popular -- this happened before when boards experimented with the responsive site and had to provide a legacy option.

But this new iteration isn't great at all, and not just from an aesthetic viewpoint. It's more clumsy to use, it's messy. I feel bad for everyone who put a lot of time and effort into it, but the old site was miles ahead. I can't see any redeeming features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I know lots of people take to change horribly and dramatically. I'm usually excited by something new.

But this is not a good look and it seems like there is a lot of issues and bugs. It has to be annoying to be paying someone to do a job and they take ages to get it done and it's still pretty shite.

• Advertisement

Sheesh, your expectations must have been rock bottom if you think this isn't as bad as you were expecting! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

On the mobile site, the bottom of every page has a “Who’s online” and proceeds to nearly list the 3,000+ users, it takes up like half the scrolling space of the whole page. I mean really, is it necessary to name all posters? Needless space taken up

Necro, what does it look like when you make a mod post?

can we still make things [b]bold[/b]?

edit- nope

No! The pacman is gone 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

For me, it's only slightly different to what it was before. Still the same blue and white colour. It'll just take a bit of getting used to.

I'd like to change the wee pic under my name though, but can't figure out how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Like is back now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

BOLD

Sure, just edit in your favorite editor and then copy/paste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Bit of stylebot extension can get you a dark theme and rid of excess spacing, this was me just playing about for few minutes, bit more time and you could get something looking decent.

The navigation needs updating alright though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Boards.ie has one massive problem that is being overlooked year on year for far too long now and has totally contributed to its decline.

All posts are equal on a thread - ie. nothing is ranked and placed more prominently on its own merits with everything being displayed in chronological order only.

This means that the really interesting, on-point, entertaining and informative posts are almost always buried anonymously somewhere in the depths of a thread.

A reader must slog through all of the posts time in order, monotonously time after time.....Whether they're on point or unfortunately also the average, boring, dull, offensive, irritating, witless, stupid posts too.

It's a shameful and total failure to evolve since 1998 and its looking terminal - I wonder if they've just ignored another opportunity to bring the above changes in as part of this migration?

My assessment is that its probably a cases of having myopic sales people at the helm and they're most likely stifling any technical creative thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye it's about time too. Personally I seen nothing wrong with the old Boards.ie site. The only saying goes " If it ain't broke don't fix it" but anyway it's done now so we shall see how it goes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So far, disappointing - my opinion only not necessarily a fact.

Time tells, so a week or so might improve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'm not happy about that one 😭 Pacman was a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sekond

It's giving me a headache. (Disappears when I switch to a different site, so it's definitely boards that is giving me the headache). I think it's all the extra white space. A similar thing happened to me on another site I use when they did an upgrade, and other people ended up with migraines etc., making the site completely unusable. I certainly won't be on half as much if it keeps giving me headaches.

• Advertisement

^ Good point. It would be good to have the option to organize posts in the same way some news sites do it -- Best Oldest Newest Worst -- (or similar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

why should users get used to something that is objectively worse than what was here before?

Ah crap.

They'll need to bring that back.

*And what's with all the white space above a quoted post?

Go to your icon on top right, click that, then click the second in from the right icon from the banner that drops down (looks like a person icon). You should get a pop up that says edit profile.

this is using touch site anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

How do I follow a thread? Trying to follow this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Who’s online? 2k plus of usernames and all listed, why? F*ck knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's difficult at first, but I found if I went into my normal forum's and "follow" the one's I am normally in it seems like it navigates a lot better when you do....

Obviously touch is going to need a lot of work but they will get there, it will just take time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Worth a read....give it a few days & a lot of the teething issues will hopefully be addressed.

https://boards.ie/discussion/2058198814/welcome-to-the-new-boards-ie-platform-version-1-0#latest

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

This is an abomination. My word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

took aweek to give us a beta version. Nice one !

there is no filter in search results. its if it not a glitch, its disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Good to see changes being made on the go.

A bit confusing is "My discussions" and "My Forums" show a mix of threads I've started and posted in. There are no posts showing as part of forums I have previously followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

What on earth has happened to R&R?!

Tried that Strawberry. But I don't get any option to change the icon.

It'll probably be doable at a later stage. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why is there no My Threads option? You can’t thank posts either or see who has liked posts. Ah lads I’m out. This is completely and utterly unusable to me

• Advertisement
Advertisement