Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Screenshot of where to find spoiler tags. On my desktop, it's the weird icon to the left of the comment box, then click the quotes icon and select the appropriate tag.

Hopefully this will be visible when I post it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

As SpudMonkey said, it would be better if we were able to log issues rather than posting them on this thread as it will be very easy to miss things in this thread.

How and ever I'll post a few items here. Firstly though it is good to have it back, even if it is somewhat unusable at the minute.

First issue for me is the excessive whitespace - it has already been mentioned a number of times.

Second is that My Threads no longer highlights threads with unread posts - nor do I get the number of threads with unread posts under my profile.

When I click on a thread with unread posts I no longer see the View First Unread button to bring me to the first one.

At the minute the site isn't really usable for me so I'll come back in a few days when hopefully most items are resolved.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hey - I flagged this one in original post. These will be imported later today. Missed in the migration import but we have them. Same for forums you are following and bookmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Also what is with the icon under my username? Is there any way of changing this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't see any way to change your password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First icon on the bottom left for me emojis, then picture attachment then URL attachment then just attachment that's it nothing else in the comment box for me to click on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Login seems to be taking me 4 or 5 seconds each time. (On Mac / Chrome / Desktop)

Not sure if you are updating assets throughout the morning and I'm downloading them each time or something.

Also echoing the followed forums thing that people posted about

Good luck with the update

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

R.I.P. Pac.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's not great really, few issues for me...

Threads on a phone are just a big white page you scroll down with a load of writing appearing, far too hard to differentiate between posts. A hair thin grey line isn't a border. The destop site has the blue border between posts though which is good.

The categories section is a mess, it's easier to search for a forum in the search bar than go looking for it.

New posts in a thread aren't highlighted enough, little yellow star doesn't cut it for me. Prefer the dark bold writing in the thread title that appears with a new post.

'Users Online' at the bottom of the page...massive list of names. Could be made a drop down.

The above are mobile specific issues, the desktop site is just a case of too much white space everywhere as has been said. Needs to be tightened up and the colours tinted a bit or something I don't know. Name panel to the left of the post should be darker and the post section darkened a little bit too.

Post edited by Witcher on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cant edit quotes... i only want to quote the end of this post but can't

anyway. I honestly feels like there wasn't any testing done, obvious issues would have been caught if there was and they clearly were not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Ah how bad. Gives us something to mess about with for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yes. I think it is hugely important at this point that the one week of lost time be added to the ''sentences'' of banned users

😏

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

The lack of dark mode is killing me. I have pretty poor eyesight and dark mode on all my usual sites helps enormously, all this white is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I am entitled to my opinion just like everyone else. To describe a migration to a platform on D1 as a disaster is just hyperbolic. Any migration will generate bugs; these are being identified and fixed. EVERY platform in the world encounters bugs and fixes them.

Gross misuse of the word 'disaster' if things arent what you are used to and some functionality is not available to you while bugs are being fixed. A little patience would go a long way, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭mossie

The whole thing just seems unfinished to me. No drop down menus for topics etc., no way to access my subscribed forums, soccer forum apparently not working. Slow loading pages, threads not showing as read and so on. I don't actually mind the new look but it seems very much style over substance.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. A lot of the same issues being flagged and we are working on them.

Quick update:

• Spacing issues etc on desktop (long names, too much white space, quotes issue etc) we will put in a fix for asap
    • We are cleaning up touch - our theme did not apply so working on that now
    • Soccer and other groups (forums) with special access, Forums you follow and bookmarks (for some users) did not import. We are aware of these and working on getting sorted.

A lot of the quirks as you can see are layout which we are working on. Others are settings that we need to work through...

But as I said in my first post... We are now on a platform that we can update without taking the whole system down. So you will see continuous improvement from here on. Right now we are making live changes...

Q: Why did we go live... it was not ready...

• We had to go live. We are not in a position to support two platforms. We have a very small team and had to make a call. This was not a small piece of work.
    • It would never have been ‘ready’ ready.... But bear with us. Change is always bad until it’s good - or better!

Thanks again

Odhran

One thing I have learned from all of this is that a lot of people apparently like soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It really is...

• Significantly reduced functionality
    • Significantly poorer UI/UX
    • What should have been obvious issues not caught in whatever testing was done - especially given the extended migration time
    • Performance issues
    • One 1 in-house developer to support all this, and a vendor in a timezone 5 hours behind the customer

This entire exercise is a textbook example of poor Change control. As someone who oversees CAB in my company, there's no way I'd have approved something like this if it'd been brought/proposed to me in it's current state. This isn't v1.0, more like v0.1

A matter of perspective then. Im ok with you not agreeing with me (and i certainly dont agree with all the points you have raised there). I can just envision worse scenarios that would be ACTUAL disasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes of course. It's a forum after all, not life and death. However, in the context we're referring to on this thread it is an EXTREMELY bad example of how to manage a change as significant as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

I can't save my profile because my username is too short.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Is it possible to stop the "Home>Topics>...."(red section in image) from disappearing when scrolling?

Have to scroll back up to select appropriate forum to read other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Depends what your definition of 'disaster'. IMO, data breach, i.e. passwords in plaintext leaked to public etc etc is a disaster. Slightly slow performance and 10-15 irritating UI/UX bugs after being online for ~4 hours is not a disaster.

I think there are a lot of variables and context we may not be aware of; im willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt on that. Its a 20yo forum with, im sure, a huge database. I appreciate you may feel you would have managed the change better, but we arent privy to whats involved. As Odhran has said above - its a big job and things will keep getting better. Id believe this speed bump to the site downage and failures we have had in the past; but i certainly wont be making a judgement on whether its better or worse just after it launches. It would be, imo, premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It must be very disheartening to finally go live and be met with nothing but complaints. 😲

It's not perfect, but they were a lot of changes over the last day or so, it'll get there! A bit like Bertie:

🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It looks like Vanilla handles users by their username directly rather than some sort of unique identifier (vBulletin used a unique numeric identifier for each user). I can see issues like this being more apparent as time goes on, particularly with users who might have non-alphanumeric characters in their names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The site is practically unusable for me. Can't find my subbed threads. Search function only works for key words (so can't search for a forum/user). Can't find private forums. Even to try and find this thread was an adventure. Complete disaster.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement