Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Response

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lucas09sm

First, you ought to open your browser and you ought to write the information science address, 192.168.1.254.

If this address leads you to a blank screen, attempt

typing: http://192.168.1.254.

If you've got this kind of router, we tend to advocate that you simply talk over with the user manual for

In step 2, the default user name<a href="https://www.192168l254.com.mx/"> 192.168.l.254</a>.  and positive identification for your router’s interface ar typically ‘user name’ and ‘password’. These addresses ar wont to offer first-time access to the interface during a untroubled and untroubled manner. However, some router makers, like D-Link, don't merely give you this address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Australia seems to test anyone and everyone as well. If you were in the same shopping centre as an infectious person, you get a test, none of this face to face for 15 minutes that we're still using. Also read that if you have to go out to work, you get tested every 3 days.

Kind of puts the whole casedemic trope to bed doesn't it. They test more than us, trace more than us, yet on less cases have a higher hospitalisation rate. The whole casedemic argument would suggest if you are doing more testing you just get loads of asymptomatics

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Australia running into that all too familiar AZ supply issue.

"The government has quietly scaled down projections of how many AstraZeneca doses will be available in Australia in the coming weeks, while downplaying a huge gap between the amount being locally produced and original Covid-19 vaccine supply targets."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/15/australian-government-scales-back-supply-projections-for-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think this is casedemics at work. Australia has a much higher hospitalisation rate because it has a much lower (full or partial) vaccination rate. There's evidence that, as well as reducing your chances of becoming infected, vaccination also means that if you do become infected your chances of becoming seriously ill are reduced.

• Advertisement

We ran into it ages ago. Directly or indirectly, it's the main reason that vaccination rates are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have a horrid feeling that this is it for Australia. Delta seems to be able to overcome any lockdowns and restrictions because it is so transmissible. I'd like to be wrong, but I have a feeling Australia won't be able to control this one. That'll have them worse off than the rest of us, as we are nearly done with vaccinations and they are bottom of the queue.

They're pretty much done for.

Now that Delta is in the country, they won't be able to eliminate it. It'll spread like wildfire over the coming weeks and has probably already been seeded asymptomatically around spot pockets of the country to a large extent.

New Zealand will eventually follow suit given the travel links between the two.

Furthermore, it's their winter at the moment which isn't exactly going to help things. Only 13 degrees and miserable in Melbourne today, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

Taking into account their hesitance to vaccination, limited number of people who had Covid, it looks like Australia will become new world's hot Covid spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Shouldn't come as a surprise. A few of us on here have been saying for ages that australia just kicked the can down the road a bit but can't avoid covid forever. Even if they had higher vaccination rates it would still be spreading like wildfire with little natural immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What are they going to do? The measures they’ve used until now won’t be enough and if it gets out of control it will disrupt the vaccine rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Are people serious about Australia ???

The delta variant is more transmissable, but doesn't seem as serious.

I would be more worried about the govt. tyrannical approach to the situation in Australia than the danger of the virus.

Australia is a former prison and it was settled by convicts. Unfortunately, it looks like, mentality has not changed much. So, their tactics only are tyrannical approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

It goes even further than that. I live in North Sydney. There has been two or three cases this side of the city in the latest outbreak. If I call the dr about something, they'll say get a test. Anyone can stroll up and get one.

I can't remember a stage where tests were restricted.

That was always the plan though. This could be Australia's turn, and vaccination levels are low, but people are being vaccinated. When other countries were being smashed the vaccines hadn't been released, or at least, weren't widely available.

It's a race at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

When we didn’t have vaccines we were dealing with a variant that was much easier to control. Sydney is in lockdown for 3 weeks now and cases are still going up. I hope they can find a solution.

That ultimately is faster vaccinations, otherwise it's likely to be a dance in and out of lockdowns for at least another year.

I'm comparing to other countries though. Even with the earlier variants, Europe and the US were smashed. NSW might be looking at the same situation Europe was in last Spring, but the vaccines are here now. Even though the rollout hasn't been great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have wondered over the last few months is part of the reason that the Australian vaccine programme is slow is because they appeared to be "managing" things...people were able to live their lives so the pressure wasn't there to get vaccines out to the population fast.

There was no way they could keep that containment method of hotel quarantining up over a period of months and months tbh.Too many moving parts to it, too many opportunities for covid to leak out a gap in the system.They have a tough few months ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I feel terrible for Australia, I'm not sure whether this is controllable. With their low vaccination rates & a very fast-spreading variant they are in an incredibly difficult place. The only perhaps "good" thing is Europe & the US are coming to the end of their vaccination programs, so hopefully there will be good vaccine supply available - but they'll need to deploy this extremely quickly to their population.

It kindof puts a lie to the whole "zero covid"/quarantine thing too. All it takes is one mistake or missed case, and suddenly you go from normality to lockdown almost overnight. It must be exhausting.

There are still a lot of people who believe that we can be Zero Covid

Honestly? No, it's not exhausting. We've spent the last 15 months looking at Ireland, the UK and Europe and thinking that must be exhausting. For us, normality has been, well, normal. We go to work, we go to pubs, we go to theatres and shops and sporting events and restaurants. This normality has been occasionally punctured by sudden lockdowns, but they are very brief; I've had two this year — one of 3 days, and one of 4 days. Last year, after a four-week lockdown in March/April, I had no lockdowns at all. Not everywhere in Australia has been quite as fortunate as that, but nowhere has suffered anything like the degree of restrictions that characterised most European countries for much of last year. And we've had fewer Covid infections, fewer Covid deaths, and a much smaller hit to the economy. You can debate whether Australia's relatively happy experience is due to good luck or good judgment, and you can point to things that weren't done well and could have been done better, vaccination being the obvious case. But if the question is, who has been subjected to more exhaustion, well, it's not us. Not by a mile. Not even now.

The number and length of lockdowns may now increase, in response to the higher infectivity of the delta variant, and that may persist until whenever Australia reaches US/European levels of vaccination (which may be many months). But, honestly, at this stage I don't see restrictions in Australia getting anything like as severe as they were in Europe last year, and into this year.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

The difference now is that there is no longer envy for the ongoing Australian approach. For Europe and the US they are getting to the point where they will return to normal life, without the permanent spectre of COVID cases playing havoc with health systems and economies. Australia is a very long way from that.

Yes, that's true. That's largely down to poor performance on vaccination by the Australians. I'd argue, though, that - given that poor performance - the Australian model of moving quickly to hard but short lockdowns is still the optimal strategy. It's certainly less "exhausting" than any of the alternatives, and it will minimise the "havoc with health systems and economies" that you mention. Most of the commentary here on why Sydney seems set to face a rather longer lockdown attributes this to the failure to lock down early enough and comprehensively enough.

I'd also suggest that the UK/US feeling that they are "getting to the point where they will return to normal life, without the permanent spectre of COVID cases playing havoc with health systems and economies" may be a bit premature. The UK experiment with substantially abandoning restrictions while the disease is still widespread and nearly half the population is not yet fully vaccinated may yet turn out to be a poor decision; a lot of the medics seem to think that it's pretty much the experiment you would run if you wanted to create a large-scale laboratory for the cultivation of vaccine-resistant variants. And if that's true, of course, it will impact not just the UK but the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

The thing about lockdowns, similar to other bad stuff in life, is that if everyone else is going through them at the same time, you feel less bad about them.

Lockdowns are harder to bear if other countries have finished with them and are on a different trajectory, irrespective of how well you've done in the past.

Sure. But the dominant opinion in Australia isn't "we shouldn't be locking down". People are upset about lockdown but it doesn't follow that they want the lockdowns to end. The need for lockdown is widely recognised and, if anything, public opinion leans towards the view that governments are too slow to lockdown. Anger is focussed not on the decision to lock down but on the fact that a lockdown is necessary, and this is blamed on (a) the slow pace of lockdown; and (b) deficencies in the hotel quarantine system.

Most people reckon that, when all's been said and done, Australia will have experienced (a) much less lockdown, and (b) much more restriction of travel, than other countries. And most people also reckon that that's a good tradeoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Long way? not really that long. Australia is about 10 weeks behind Ireland in terms of Vaccinations. Where Australia is today Ireland was on 11th May.

Ireland started its vaccinations 29th Dec, Australia started on 21st Feb which is about 7 weeks so the pace if off by about 3 weeks. If you are getting back to normal then great we will probably be the same 10 weeks later.

But you wont be getting the last 10 months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't entirely disagree, but do please remind me how long we have spent locked down in Ireland.

If you are going to make an attempt at pointing the bone, make sure to check which way round you are holding it first.

Advertisement