Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

willabur wrote: »
    Got mad, was mad at the stupid pro who literally told me I swung like a girl the night before.

Sorry, but WTF???

Was it a case of "You swing more like the way female golfers swing" as an instructive point or literally, "You swing like a girl" meant as an insult?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That seems like an extremely poor thing for a pro to say to someone. An attempt at motivation maybe?

I played the worst golf of my like in our Jimmy Bruen match last Saturday. I was only playing every 2nd shot, but literally every shot till the 8th hole was bad. Hooked all my drives into trouble for a penalty. Partner was better off the tee, and i'd chuck or blade my iron. Putting was fine, but i only had 1 putt on the front 9 as we usually had lost the hole by then. Finally hit a decent shot on my first par 3 off the tee, but we still lost the hole. Not sure what was wrong, but it was embarrassingly bad.

Game over by the 15th hole, and we lost the overall match 3/2. Was against last years winners, so that's something, but still really annoyed. 1st competitive game, and i completely screwed the pooch.

Have 10 days off now, and i'm going to play a bunch to figure out what i was doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Decent medal this morning. 92(75 nett). Happy because I didn't have any blow up holes which I usually do in stroke play. A few par 4s I sensibly layed up whereas I would've hit a low percentage shot in stableford. Constantly feel I'm on the verge of a great round recently. Getting lessons next week and hoping I can find some way to figure out consistency from 150 yards in.

2 par
    12 bogey
    4 double

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Had 36pts in open singles last night. Strange round. I'm off 9 and started Eagle, birdie, par. Was lifting. Played the remaining 15 holes in +12 unfortunately! Golf is strange like that. Felt deflated coming off the course but had it happened in reverse I'd have been ecstatic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shot 37 points today, and am really annoyed with it. Had 25 points (1 over) on the front 9, with some fantastic golf, then completely **** the bed on holes 12-14. Lost a ball off the tee on two of those, and put myself in serious trouble on the other.

Front 9 was fantastic though, with 1 birdie, 6 pars and 2 bogeys. Changed how I'm holding my irons a bit, and it's definitely working.

Would have happily taken 37 before the round, but left frustrated with how it ended. Tis a funny old game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Intermediate Scratch Cup in Moate. Another decent round.

2 birdies, 3 pars, 9 bogeys and 4 doubles for a nett 69 off 18.

Handicap continues to come back down in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

31 points this morning, not too bad. Conditions were alright, mostly misty rain. Just couldn't get a score at start of back 9, was striking the ball well and putts were slipping by too often. Only 2nd full round of the year though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Nett 67 in a medal round this morning. Opposite of Thursday. Horrid start, was spraying it off the tee and was +3 after three holes. Was +2 for the rest of the round and beat the handicap by 4. Bad drive on the last lead to a bogey too so could have been 1 better. Much happier with the putter, when that's on song I go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played the scratch cup in Moate on Saturday and shot 109. Probably the worst round I've recorded but I could only laugh. Lost 7 balls while carding a 10 and 11. Absolutely braindead shot choices for the most part. However my wedges inside 100 were contrastingly excellent and actually managed 4 GIRs.

Played at home this morning and shot 94 for 33 points.

2 pars
    13 bogeys
    2 doubles
    1 triple
    1 penalty

A satisfyingly steady round. Never really threatened for birdie. Scrambling, pitching and wedges were in good nick. Short game left a lot of close putts which gives me plenty of confidence for matchplay next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

After a frustrating start to the season, things finally going in the right direction. Played an open at my home club (New Forest) on Friday. Then played our intermediate scratch this morning. Got some lessons recently but the fixes were slow to bed in. But put some hard work in on the range during the week and things suddenly started to click.

Played rock steady on Friday but putting was off. It was really warm and the greens were lightning fast. Kept rolling them several feet past and frequently missed the one back. But still posted an 88, my first time to break 90 this year. Bonus was no scratches on the card, a very rare event.

6 pars
    8 bogies
    4 doubles

Then this morning shot 89, with a 9 on the card as well! Was just +1 after 5 including a birdie on the third from a fairway bunker. Then two doubles and two bogies to turn in 43. Then came the disaster. It started pissing rain just as we were teeing off on 10. I rushed my drive and pulled it badly. 3 off the tee. Got really lucky with a bad fourth, didn't commit properly to the pitch to the green and the chip was poor as well.

But then settled very quickly with a very welcome par on 11. 3 pars and 5 bogies to finish the round.

1 birdie
    5 pars
    9 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 blowout

Putting today was much more measured, only one rushed past. But because of Friday I was a bit too cautious at times and left good putts short. Still work to do with the flat stick.

But so many positive this week. Started the week at 16.9, now back to 15.5. Plenty more to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Shot 34 (16/18) points yesterday morning myself.

Scratched the Index 14th and 18th. So frustrating as the conditions were tough on the course and probably 36 or 37 points wins it. Will

Happy with my iron play and short game. Not so much my driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played Saturday in the weekly comp.
    38pts off 8. good enough for 2nd in the comp.

Played decent golf but could have been so much better. Started with a par, then pulled my tee-shot on the 2nd OB. Managed to recover well with a couple of birdies after the turn. I was +3 gross on the 15th tee and then went +3 for the last 4 holes.
    I'm playing great golf on my home course at the moment, my last 4 comps I've finished in the top 10. My HI is down from 9.0 at the start of the year to 7.4 so over halfway to my target of 6.4 for the end of the year. This run of form will have to end at some point and then the frustration will start.

2 birdies
    9 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 double
    3/14 FIR
    6/18 GIR
    29 Putts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Beat my handicap for the first time this year (21 returns). 4 under my handicap in a medal (87 for net 66). I was as at the hard cap and didnt even get a cut of a shot. Lets see how we go for next few weeks and whether I can play golf again

It has been a tough year with so many meds and a serious enough injury to get an ingrown hair removed. Still getting wound dressed over 2 months on but hopefully this heralds a new start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Sorry, but WTF???

Was it a case of "You swing more like the way female golfers swing" as an instructive point or literally, "You swing like a girl" meant as an insult?

very much the latter

he meant it as an insult. It was a very negative experience

Played Druids Glen monday open off the white tees yesterday
    36 points 18/18
    really solid boring golf on a really nice course. Tee to green its as nice as anywhere I have played. The greens were running a bit slow which makes sense on a monday but even still there is not much movement in them, I guess that is intentional. Driver was rubbish all day, was able to get the ball in play most of the time with a long iron. Pretty happy with the grind I put in. Brings me down to an even 10 handicap now.

very much the latter

he meant it as an insult. It was a very negative experience

Thats disgraceful, who was the pro?

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Thats disgraceful, who was the pro?

I'd rather not say to be honest.

Going to send the same fella some solid honest feedback later on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

31 Points (18/13) today.

1 Birdie
    2 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    4 Triples

Head is melted. Past month Driver has been unreal and couldn't hit an iron out of my way. Today Driver was going a million miles right and my irons were back to being decent again. So bloody frustrating. Was constantly have to just chip out sideways with my second shot or hitting three off the tee.

Kind of annoyed as well as it was a competition and when I got there this morning they had just sanded the greens. And when I say sanded I mean dumped sand all over them. It was impossible to aim a putt as they were just hitting clumps of sand all over the shop. I understand it has to be done but should be done on a competition day and if they are being sanded should be notified as I probably wouldn't have bothered playing as there was zero skill involved in putting today, pure hit and hope stuff.

Played Druids Glen monday open off the white tees yesterday
    36 points 18/18
    really solid boring golf on a really nice course. Tee to green its as nice as anywhere I have played. The greens were running a bit slow which makes sense on a monday but even still there is not much movement in them, I guess that is intentional. Driver was rubbish all day, was able to get the ball in play most of the time with a long iron. Pretty happy with the grind I put in. Brings me down to an even 10 handicap now.

Good enough for the W

Won a 4 ball back at Druids Glen. Delighted. Handicap adjusted to 10.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

42 this evening during a quick 9 hole round. Hit the ball well which was the main thing but 2 sloppy 3 putts and a few poor chips let me down. Could have you easily broke 40 but that’s how it goes.

3 pars
    5 bogies
    1 double

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

79 strokes off 10 at The Island yesterday. Best I’ve played in a while and playing such a brilliant course made it even sweeter. The new holes improve the front 9 massively. The fourth is gorgeous and love the 9th.

Smashing day and met some lovely friendly members.

the lawman wrote: »
    79 strokes off 10 at The Island yesterday. Best I’ve played in a while and playing such a brilliant course made it even sweeter. The new holes improve the front 9 massively. The fourth is gorgeous and love the 9th.

Smashing day and met some lovely friendly members.

Played it last week and really enjoyed it but I played shocking 🀣 4th is a lovely hole. Thought the 12th par 3 was a great hole to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Played it last week and really enjoyed it but I played shocking �� 4th is a lovely hole. Thought the 12th par 3 was a great hole to.

It’s a beastly hole 12. 3 wood just crept onto green!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Personal best yesterday evening of 90. Previous best on my home course was 97 and had shot 101 the evening prior. So much clicked, it felt great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Finally getting the hang of not having a meltdown on the course last 3 rounds have been 34, 20 (9 hole for 2nd) and 38 points. All counting scores. Each round had scratch including the 9 hole but I managed to follow up each one with a par instead of my usual double bogey

Yea its a monster, we had no wind so the 3iron was plenty for me. Was afraid of coming up short right.

I played last Sunday, i hit it well but i just couldn't get a score going. Started par par, then had an awkward lie on the next and shanked it to finish with a double.

Next hole had a bogey, which was ok as its index 1 but then 3 putted the next for another double.

I have a real issue with the 6th and 15th par3. 9 hole course so essentially the same hole. out of my last 15 rounds i have only parred each of them 3 times so need to work on my approach game from 170-210 yards in.

32pts off 7. new site lets me paste in the Golf ireland card so the new site has one benefit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Golf is effing annoying, played the last 6 comps in my club, Enniscrone, poor to mediocre. Watched my HC rise to an embarrassing 27😥. Then I go out on Sunday 6 pars, 6 bogeys, 1 DBL, 1 no score and 2 scratch's and win the comp with 42pts. I made the key holes count, but haven't swung the club so well in yrs. I just seemed to remember what I used to do 10 yrs ago when I was last a member, lipped out on 3 holes, so still loads of room to improve and get the HC down, just hope I don't forget it all again 🤦🏼‍♂️

Well done on the win. Everyone in the club now calling you a bandit off 27 no doubt😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played Esker Hills last weekend with the golf society at work. Somehow 30 points (off 22 hc for the society) were enough to win and I also picked up the long drive prize on 18 (the only time the driver hit the fairway all day). I don't have my scorecard has I had to leave in a hurry but I had 3 pars. The first two holes were pars but then I started thinking I was Lowry and being a little too ambitious thereafter. Ended up with 4x scratches. Two of which were easily avoidable by leaving the driver in its headcover.

We were late teeing off as the course was busy. This made for a gallery of 15+lads jeering each other on the first. Absolutely melted one of my best every tee shots 240 yds with a hybrid (significantly elevated 1st tee) which quietened a few of the lads 😅. Fantastic course, loved the layout and challenge. Really looking forward to playing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Played Tulfarris last Thursday in an open. 29 points off 17(13/16). Last played it about 15 years ago so didn't remember much except that it is long and difficult, seems that is still the case. In great condition and I enjoyed the round despite my poor scoring. Several par 4s I hit decent drives and when I got to it I had to confirm with my playing partners that this is a par 4 as I'd still have 200+ yards left.

Played Carton House Montgomerie Course today. Shot 100 strokes and that was with no lost balls or scratched holes. Just incredibly punishing bunkers resulting in double bogeys all over the place. Definitely not one for a high handicapper like me. I still appreciated the great design and excellent condition of the course, particularly the greens.

Advertisement