Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

awe come 'ere.. i'm outta here.. lol its soo slow I am expecting to hear the old modem dial up thing from the 90's.. this is not even usable - sorry boards mods - this is a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Nope, not at this point in time.

So slow and harder to read and navigate. Maybe in time it will work, but don’t see any benefits right now

Was a big fan of using the legacy option, and used it for years. Fast, easy and cohesive.

This is the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

There's no legacy option now. The previous changes were frontend modifications to vBulletin but this is a backend change too, so it's not compatible with the legacy sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

A case of 100,000 units just arrived at my door:

https://i.imgur.com/Es2HvdP.png

I guess nobody's interested then... ☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not a fan either. But change is always problematic. Time will tell. Usage statistics will tell the full story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Why didn’t they beta test this?!

They could have setup a few forums on a beta version of the site for a few weeks and let people play.

Boards is an old internet community and just ramming though a fundamental change like this will very likely kill it.

The site is awful. I can’t navigate it on my phone. I don’t know how to find my posts, which is how I always kept track of threads I responded to.

It looks terrible, on a phone display and there are pages of “who’s online” at the bottom. I don’t even care who’s online. That’s not really how boards works.

Removal of the desktop dark mode theme is also a massive downgrade to me. The old touch site also didn’t have this much white space. I don’t use apps on my mobile that don’t dark modes, it and I will probably abandon boards.

The only useful forums to me for now might be a few of the discussion ones around politics and some technical topics but it’s to do with the content not the technology it’s hosted in.

I honestly think you’ve just killed boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thanks I see it now.

I actually like the new site. I am getting used to it quickly. Some cool new features.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Man from Del Monte says ...........................

NO .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

On desktop here, so maybe you are seeing something different.

If one clicks on the time in your quoted post (i.e., the 11:56) then it redirects to the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭breadmond

They've clearly half assed it on the cheap. A whole week offline with zero comms and now this abomination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Do Emojis work 🤔

**yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone figure out how to follow discussions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

But at least now there won't be infrequent downtimes like the last site or slightly delayed email notifications... 😐️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

The having to scroll all the way to the top of the page to go to another thread really needs to be sorted out, especially if you're going to be having so much white space in the posts with quotes in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

100% don't like the new boards.ie layout much prefer the old layout back...................

I like the way you get alerts now if someone @'s you in a post. Posts are automatically saved as drafts, which is good too. (grappling around here for something positive to say)

Navigation is going to be an ongoing issue, though. I can't find the forums I want to see, and I've seen a few forums I shouldn't have access to at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Click on this icon on desktop. On mobile I believe it is a star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Less lost than I was using Redit

Will take a while to get used to but so far so good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm trying hard here, but still not liking it. Just found a new bug after deleting some drafts (3rd Option when you click on your user Icon top right) now I keep getting little pop ups saying Draft no found (4 deleted 4 mgs) in the bottom left hand corner.

The problem for me is NAVIGATION. The Navigation is rubbish, even finding a thread you have recently posted in is a pain the Notifications are a very minor plus feature but useless compared to the old list of all the threads with new posts that you have posted in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

Brilliant new layout (and they have promoted me to level 3!!)

It will be fine.Can't believe all the grinches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I'm fully preplexed that what I have in front of me is the result of a week of downtime.

From the outside it does not appear that Vanilla or Boards thought this through enough.

The week of downtime didn't mess with the traction as much as this new unfinished shell will.

Fingers crossed Boards hold an emergency room meeting and revert to the old shell.

Otherwise I fear it might be a case of Boards.ie now ye're walkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Didn't see a star but there is a bookmark beside the title that seems to have worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In fairness, navigation on Boards has been broken for years. Moving all of the forums into categories under one menu killed off a lot of the smaller forums. It's something that needs to be improved for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Where are all of the bookmarks gone. I only went to a set number of pages and they were under my forums now they are all gone.

I remember when they removed the google search and it killed the site, this change doesn't look to be for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Think this will be the case here.

Only thing I wonder about, when you click on a thread on the home screen, you get brought to the first page of the thread. As opposed to the most recent post on the old mobile site. Am I missing something?

But not yet reflected in the star rating under your username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I think people are going a bit over the top! All works pretty well for me, a few things to get used to but it's hardly the end of the world. Looks basically the same as it did two weeks ago, still a work in progress according to the post elsewhere and seems like things ae changing/being fixed by the hour. All pretty OK in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The fact that all threads on google and internal links now point to nothing, is amateur hour. Couldn't configure 301s no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've logged in on the laptop and it is much better looks much more like the old boards.

The problem is I and probably 90% of users mainly use my phone not laptop for boards so this new look is awful.

Hopefully they improve it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How do you get to the last page of a thread without going into the thread and clicking the last page?

I'm posting from a PC Desktop, will never waste much time posting from a phone, previously navigation was easy enough on the desktop, now I just can't be bothered to go looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dyl2u

Has an absolutely horrible user interface. Feels like a computer science student's college assignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

RIP boards. Absolute disaster of a site now. Looks done on the cheap and can't navigate easily to other posts/topics. Should have left it alone. Will be using reddit untill ye revert to old way that was already working

I liked boards because of its old fashion design :( Newer isn't always better!

This business about boards being free - sit down now til I tell ya, but you/we are the product.

I know, I KNOW! 😲

While we natter keeping a space open companies post advertisements on our metaphorical foreheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Is there a how to navigate guide anywhere???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have not really looked at it yet in much detail. However on first impressions it seems 'cleaner'. And there does not seem to be that much change. Small things moved around here or there. Nothing major. It seems to have moved more towards use on smaller devices imo.

And I am one who hates change for the sake of it. But glancing at some of these comments on this this thread you would swear the world was ending! :D

Posters will get used to it and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭blue_blue

Wow. Huge failure on behalf of boards UI/UX team (person?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Seems to be a serious delay in posts appearing.10 minutes now for last post and nithing showing yet.The last post to a thread I made at 13.10-last timing on that thread is 12.12pm Finishing this comment at 13.18 hrs

Clicking on Categories at the top gives an error - Something has gone wrong. (boards.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Drop down menus for subbed forums and Dark Theme are much needed.

• Advertisement

How do you edit a post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

There's three dots at the top right of your post, you can edit from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah this would be helpful, or a quick summary of the new changes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

My last post showing a time of 12.18 in the list of posts for the site! Was done at 13.18 Previous post to another thread has not appeared yet-posted around 13.10

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

still wayyyyyy too much white wasted space per post... made worse when you quote or insert pic

• Advertisement
Advertisement