Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How long did they give it? Why wasn't it covered last night when it was happening? They had reporters there to cover the discrimination legislation but no mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Has there been any further details or confirmation of the deal with Romania to buy one million vaccines . It was splashed on the news but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere since

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It is an unfortunate trait of Irish people that we do have an "I'm alright jack" attitude. Yes we will make all the right noises about how wrong it is and about how we should be doing more and blah blah but and then shrug our shoulders and move on. By right we should be out on the streets protesting and I don't just mean over this legislation I mean for protesting for better mental health services, better health services, etc. But if we were to do that we would be out every day of the week. We do need to hold our politicians to account and punish them when we get a chance its the only way that they will take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

In fairness the video I posted shows thousands. And the pics above are after dark, the bill was supposed to be signed in at 12.15

Maybe crowd had dispersed by the time these pics were taken?

Pretty obvious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I take it that's the latest twist on the "if you support lockdown it must be because you're better off".

I didn't believe that variation on the theme either. It's a lazy argument that doesn't hold water.

Back onto the main topic, it's good to see we're still able to move forward with relaxing restrictions while many other countries are faced with reimposing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually if you compare the video to those photos, there isn't much in the difference time wise. The same fruitcake with the Jesus flag is in the same place, the crowd is contained almost entirely within the junction in both the photo and video. The van waiting to go down the quays is still there.

The problem is that crowd size is virtually impossible to tell when you're standing in the middle of it. It always feels like there are way more people than there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I saw videos last night on twitter,don't know what time they were taken but there was definitely thousands at that protest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

that tweet is misleading and cut out a huge chunk on the bridge. Somehow given the accompanying text on the tweet , it doesn't seem like a reasoned report. clearly proven to be misleading in the 3rd reply which showed a video

I was there and there was defo a few thousand which was nice to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

One could say that your post is the latest twist on the “we must keep restrictions to avoid restrictions” mantra.

The argument a year ago was that to not impose and abide by restrictions would be a selfish action because it would not afford protection to the vulnerable. The vulnerable have now, if they wanted it, largely been vaccinated. So we have now implemented over a year of unprecedented restrictions on civil liberties and, on top of that, have rolled out a historically large vaccination programme. To recap — over a year of restrictions to protect the vulnerable and a vaccination programme to offer the strongest available protection to the vulnerable.

And yet we are told we must abide by further far-reaching restrictions, the justifications for which are predicated on arguments of either being in spite of what other countries are doing, or because of what other countries are doing — whichever narrative suits best from day to day. And this all takes place in a context where the supposedly clearly defined risk being talked about last year, a risk which was used to justify the restrictions, has now given way to an ill-defined risk that nobody really seems to be able to spell out in any definitive way that would align itself to a proportionate justification for the ongoing ultra-cautiousness / madness that has taken hold of our national leadership when it comes to things like indoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Patser

Nah there wasn't. Part of my job was dealing with traffic disruption caused by closure of road outside convention centre last night, so was monitoring the protest til about 11pm - I'd say 500 protestors would be generous, probably a lot less. For context, the Samuel Beckett bridge remained open with the crowd gathered in NE corner of the bridge not large enough to block it off, traffic was also able to drive all the way up to bridge before turning left onto Guild St and behind Convention Centre.

A large crowd would have blocked off all these roads by sheer mass alone - the small crowd, which wasn't particularly packed together but straggled out partially over Beckett Bridge, wasn't 'thousands'

You could say that I suppose.

It probably doesn't help your point that I'm broadly supportive of a measured easing of restrictions though.

test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

(Sorry, I don't seem to be able to partially quote a post since the boards "improvements")

Yep, I got my vaccine cert emailed too. As a PDF, without even bothering to password protect it. Which given that Gmail scans and parses PDFs as a matter of course, means that the government have now shared my personal data and medical information with Google. Great job.

And now we have Holohan saying you shouldn't bring your kids indoors, and there's no need for a 105-minute time limit. While the government are saying the time limit is there for kids dining indoors - and unvaccinated staff. Who Holohan says will be grand because they're wearing masks (which primarily protect other people??) and most customers will be vaccinated. It's a total mess, unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I suppose that I would be tempted to ask you though — what exactly is a “measured easing”? It seems like a conveniently broad thing to support, but the term ‘measured’ to me would appear to suggest that you measure the easing versus the risk, right? So what is the risk now of, say, simply letting people sit in a pub or restaurant without engaging in this vaccinated distinction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think there is surprise at the size of the protest.

Most people who are not getting the vaccine are not crazy people. They are just uncomfortable with getting it.

That's fine. A small minority were always going to refuse particularly in the younger age groups.

So called liberals have been the most intolerant of this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Ah yes. Look at all those countries around us closing indoor dining and bringing in discriminatory vaccine passport system. It's like if you gave child A one sweet and child B ten sweets. Then you give child A one more sweet and take one more sweet from child B and say to child B "sure you should be happier of the two of you, you've more than you had before and they have less".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

"Herd immunity" is sooo last year. Now it all about jabbing everyone.

Reluctant to use the vaccine word because as you've pointed out, these jabs don't meet either the clinical or legal definition of a vaccine.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

What on earth are you on about?

Plenty of other countries are using vaccine passports.

Would be interesting to work out how many of those countries have needed to roll back and reintroduce restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

A measured easing is whatever the government does obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Look at England for an example of a country not using vaccine passports... Of course they will most likely be locking down again shortly so maybe not the best example

In saying that, we are probably going to be back in Lockdown in September or October so why restrict ourselves until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

So tell me what countries has a discriminatory vaccine passport system where antigen tests are not accepted? Yeah would be interesting to see how many have indoor dining closed like us or are implementing a discriminatory vaccine passport system that doesn't accept antigen testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems like a funny state of affairs with restaurants, staff can work there unvaccinated but couldnt eat there as a customer?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

No idea, can't say I'm particularly fussed about it either.

YMMV

My understanding is antigen tests are being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's a big difference already between working in a restaurant and drinking/dining in one. The unvaccinated people working there are unlikely to be under 2m from each other or their customers without masks for long periods.. The customers on the other hand will be sitting at the same table and without masks on. From a safety perspective there is no comparison between the two

Annoying for the staff involved though admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

A friend of mine witnesses yesterday a man around 40, walking outdoors, in the space of two minutes, put on his mask and take it off again 3 or 4 times. He would put it on as somebody walked towards him, and take it off again after the person walked past him.

This is not normal behaviour. I really worry for some people. They've been damaged by the hysteria.

Hating the new site BTW. Not easy to use on mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

In Spain since June 26th it's been optional to wear a mask outside.

Sadly 95% of people are still fully masked up - some even doubly so - outside, in the hot weather - even walking alone.

It's good in a way because one knows immediately who is mentally ill, but it is frightening that so many people are.

Advertisement