Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

It's brutal. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

is there a delay posting ?

I'm making some progress but it'll take a while to get everything right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

I guess not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

GMT and Daylight saving time need sorting out. On the home page it looks like GMT and the actual posts have Daylight saving (GMT +1).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

have you had a birthday card since you posted? then yes

• Advertisement

Yes and when your post appears it could show a time which is an hour late.Also,cannot move between Latest posts and Trending when logged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

This is what I like about it.

I used to use Instagram a bit but gave up on it when they stopped displaying things in chronological order.

There's no accounting for what people like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

100%

Also too much space between posts, scrolling for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Can't seem to go back and edit mistakes!

Am I correct?

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I had to read a post about it (thanks sydthebeat). Your supposed to guess that the ... in the top right of the title bar of your post hide that option.

Just tried it and its the usual new rubbish that fcuks your original post up. First edit deleted the orignal post second made it look like I was going to post in a really large font?

Wake me up when it's all over.

I'm generally not one just to rag on things because they’ve changed or are a bit different but...

...this is pretty shite tbh. Completely unnecessary in all honesty.

Quite the case of gilding the lily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah navigation is the main problem Im having, what happened to the list of threads you have posted in? I clicked 'My Discussions' but that only leads to a page of threads that I started, some going back from years ago. I cant seem to find anywhere that will serve up the threads youve posted on, if it remains this way then its a big red flag for me.

Would also like for the font on peoples username/avatar be bigger than the font in the posts themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It’s a pity as this is probably the only thing that approximates to a serious social media platform that grew up in Ireland.

I’m a bit taken aback by the lack of user feedback used before this happened.

As a business, you’ve a unique ability to interact with your users, to run focus groups and betas etc at no cost. Yet, you just made huge changes without any discussion.

It just doesn’t make sense.

What makes Boards what it is is that community and the content that we produce on here as posts. It’s not the weather beaten infrastructure it runs on.

I honestly think this is an insult to the community and communities that are what makes this site worth visiting. You should have consulted with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

How so? Longer threads can have hundreds of posts generated over many days...... IMO interesting discussions tend to happen over shorter and more manageable timeframes, ideally with people who are engaging and hold your interest through being witty, wise or at least on-topic.

This choice is not readily available if you have to read 999 "filler" posts to get to the good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Couple of points as I'm still reading this thread...

Per the feedback thread (which btw is even more buried now in the new layout than it was previously), they have one in-house developer. ONE. That's frankly ridiculous for a site of this size, and the scale of this project. I've asked what hypercare support they have from "Vanilla" but if it's anything like the migration, I'm guessing 9-5 EST (5 hours behind us)

I agree changes were needed, but the state of this site at (re) launch today was not it. If they needed more time, say it (with a REALISTIC timescale - don't say 2 days if it'll be a week, etc), test it first and pilot with some users - preferably NOT on the live production site, and most importantly - hold your hands up when you get it wrong.. don't gloss over the issues or just ignore the substance of the feedback from the userbase without whom there WOULD be no site to speak of.

As for the "it's free" argument. As the saying goes.. if you're not paying, YOU are the product, and seeing as there are still (some!) commercial companies represented on this site through Talk To forums, and others buying advertising on the basis of the reach of this site, plus the point that some DO subscribe to the site, then the criticism is both fair, valid and indeed important to give!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally lost with the new set up.

Really disappointed, I can see myself giving up on boards. What was the reason for the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm on mobile.

Where are My Threads, My Forums? I just see latest posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's actually one handy use for the 'liked' function, you can browse through longer threads getting highlights of the better posts by just focusing on those ones.

Kind of important to get that set up similarly to the old site as at the moment, you can't really tell with a glance which posts are most liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

At first no. But I am getting used to it. Still it feels a bit like Facebook took it over.

What else can you do?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I dont like the new layout :-(

Can't seem to go back and edit mistakes!

Am I correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not a fan.

No ignoring is ****

Oops might have posters that already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Thanks for that archfi.

I'll see if a bookmark works the same as clicking on 'Follow Thread', but I've a better idea now.

👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you are on desktop click on Bookmarks instead of My Discussions. Bookmarks behaves the same was as My Followed Threads did on the old site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If it ain't broke, fix it... so that boards and vanilla get involved. Soon it will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cyloncity

Can you get to the latest post in a thread in one click from the home screen latest threads? I seem to be only able to get to opening post then have to click forward to last page then scroll to latest post. Have asked already but no quick response and no idea if answered! It's becoming a chore not an aid.

Touch site btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I used to have a few forums that were my favourites i.e. I subscribed to them and they appeared in my forums.

No i can't even find them.

Can someone tell me how to find the gardening forum please.

pS I'd like instructions so I'll know how to do it for other forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah right thanks, just did that and it works the same as before, nice one

I think Boards should be informing users of these changes though, I can see from this thread a lot of people are frustrated trying to find what they want to

It's seems to have forgotten the last post, but once you do find it, it should then work. Just go back and click on latest post again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

It's too white at the minute, it needs a dark mode.

If a user joined in February, September, or December it moves the border between the user and the post on desktop. How was that not set as uniform to the longest month name?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cyloncity

Cant quote either but you can edit posts by clicking the cog wheel beside your post. At least I could

I'm now on the Touch site (on laptop), how do I go back to the standard view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It’s literally branded as Vanilla for me now. The Boards branding keeps disappearing.

Everyone seems to have only one star below their username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Edit: the mobile website is actually good, it’s not great but better with much potential.

The desktop website needs much improvement, I like it but things are missing and the styling is all over the place, also I would like the a dark theme please please please.

Post edited by stevek93 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is the navigation of the site far more difficult/cumbersome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm going to try and reserve a full judgement until everything is fixed, but as is, I can't use the site. The dimensions are all over the place, the font I'm finding very difficult to concentrate on, there's a lot of dead space in some areas but things are squashed in others, many of the features I use seem to be gone (including typing out a proper response and not just "leave a comment"), the forums are difficult to find and go through.

It feels very like the Beta site that nobody liked or wanted.

I think the biggest issue for me (especially as it doesn't really seem to be a bug and it's actually something they're considering keeping) is the font and layout. I really am struggling to read forums, and I don't even have reading difficulties.

How do we make it go back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If I'm on home page the latest post says 12.58 but when i click into thread last post is 13.58.

Same for anyone else. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Time to move to discourse.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

it's as wonky as Conor Mcgregors left ankle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Think I'm in a minority - but it seems fine to me. Useablity/navigation pretty much same as before as far as I can tell! Noticed one or two glitches this morning which seem to have been fixed. Like function instead of thanks wasn't there this morning

like the notifcation after you are quoted rather than everytime someone posts in the tread (which was a bit useless)

Advertisement