Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Will ‘Vanilla’ be staying on as the masthead or will we be getting the old Boards.ie logo back?

Post edited by TherapyBoy on

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's good to be back, just need to get used to the layout

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

To be honest, I really have to question what has happened over the past week and who made the decision to move to a platform that clearly was not ready. Accepting Boards is a free service, but they are extremely lucky to have such a loyal user base, this type of mess would be enough to sink some companies.

Just something to add to the “bug” list. When I click on the notification icon, it drops down behind the page

Touch site

Feedback. Note I haven't gone through the many pages here so some of these are likely to be repeats

• Groups - No idea what that is supposed to do
    • Notifications - very obvious on desktop when I have a notification, invisible on mobile unless I actually click my user icon to check which defeats the purpose of a notification
    • Dark mode, don't need to say anymore on this one
    • Mobile - navigation is confusing as hell. I have given up for today as I know you are working on it, but it really has no logical structure in terms of navigation
    • Hovering over a username, a menu pops up, but disappears as soon as I try to interact with it i.e. move my cursor away from the username
    • On a similar note, if I click a users avatar, a different popup appears which appears to work fine except its not very readable

• Discussions - Looks like "Latest Posts" from old boards, but everything is lumped together. Would love to see Discussions for "My Forums". I used both frequently on the old boards
    • No "My Forums" grouping anywhere that I could find. It took me several minutes to figure out I had to go to the Categories page and ctrl+f there to find the forum I was looking for. This is not ideal. This is probably the biggest pain point right now
    • Whitespace - Loads when quoting, adding images/youtube links
    • Very difficult to identify threads with new posts Vs threads I've already checked as everything is bolded Vs bold/non-bold
    • Dates of latest posts. These seems to be all over the place, see example image below from the Galway City & County forum

Lastly, can I just say fair play. The old site was good but very dated. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys can do now that you have a system that allows you to RERO painlessly

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to have the access other users have to “edit” my posts removed, please. It’s very disconcerting.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

three dots top right corner of your post(blue banner) - is that what you need?

Scratch that, misread your post

However, discovered unable to remove uploaded screenshot from my post

Where are you seeing that? I haven't come across that

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

Best of luck with it. Good to have it back. Looking forward to the improvements/tweaks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I’ve already reported the issue Emmet, won’t edit anymore of your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Not an issue with the new site, but airing my disappointment with the lack of communication from boards.

one minute it’s there, next minute it’s gone…… for a week. No emails, no notices, no anything.

one way to p155 off your users is telling them nothing

it wouldn’t have been hard to lash an email out to all registered users just giving a heads up. I’d call it common courtesy

Thanks, TB.

I wasn’t too worried about you doing it, as you mentioned it straight away. Just don’t fancy some other, shall we say, less honourable posters “engaging” in it.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

They were communicating on Twitter. I discovered this by chance - I think Niamh had a put a link up on the initial thread about the changes.

How do you remove a thread from your notifications now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

From what I can tell, those who seem happiest with it are using desktop site. She touch site is an unmitigated disaster to navigate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

...and how do you edit your post? I wanted to fix a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The main issue is that the site is pig slow. Every page takes forever to load and render.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,707 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Along the top of your post (in the dark blue bar with the time) will be 3 dots - click this and you can edit from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,707 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Dark Mode option really needs to be restored ASAP in my view. The white glare from this is not good for my eyesight (something that I've become more sensitive to since getting cataract surgery at the start of the year).

It's not EVERY site though, but whatever they've set things to in this theme, it's causing me headaches :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Any word on a dark mode version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Seems removing `clear: both` from the embedExternal removes the whitespace around quotes, videos, etc.

var sheet = document.createElement('style')
    sheet.innerHTML = ".embedExternal {clear: none !important;}";
    document.body.appendChild(sheet);

Who knows if doing so has impact to other parts (or displays badly outside of Chrome) but works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

if i click where red circle is, weird stuff happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

If there was a dark mode, and the menus dropped down especially where it had my followed forums on the old site, it wouldn't be that bad. But as it is its an absolute pain in the arse to navigate through

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know it's been mentioned before, but I'd like to reiterate......

It's a huge PITA that you can't tell what threads you've read all the posts in, because everything on the home page is in bold.

Please bring back a distinction between threads that have new unread posts, and the ones where you've read the last post!!

(I'm sure there's a more efficient way of expressing that_)

Also, the automatic double spacing is just..... odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've been getting notified of a thread I unsubscribed/unfollowed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is the type of thing that only an end user could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Feedback on the new version:

--> Too much white space at the top of posts.

--> Text font is not as readable.

--> Too much space on the right hand side.

--> Lack of a subscribed forum list. I know how to get the posts but where is the list of subscribed forums?

--> Too slow.

--> Layout makes things far more difficult to read.

Effort is needed on layout and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Change it back!!! You’ve made a functional site completely useless and impossible to use.

Have you nothing more constructive to add?

It's not useless, and it's impossible to use (you managed to post this supremely helpful post!) - yes, it's more difficult, there are clearly (a lot of ) teething problems, maybe say what you're having difficulty with and they can fix it....

• Advertisement

No "edit post" button!

Just discovered that when I wanted to edit my post above.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement