Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza / Like A Dragon Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dont blame me, blame the game. I didn't realise I was playing a stone cold classic until I saw this last night.

550791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I always enjoyed the humour in Yakuza games but Like a Dragon takes it to the next level. There's a certain satisfaction in taking out your mobile phone mid battle and summoning a giant man baby to pummel your enemies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

skerry wrote: »
    I always enjoyed the humour in Yakuza games but Like a Dragon takes it to the next level. There's a certain satisfaction in taking out your mobile phone mid battle and summoning a giant man baby to pummel your enemies :)

I like how they retranslated the misc. command to etc. when it was pointed out to them on twitter that the command list would then spell out Sega.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They were talking on retronauts about the dreamcast and how it's not a coincidence that ichibans life goes to **** in 2001 which is when sega stopped manufacturing the dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Splashed out on this today, looking forward to unleashing the piss wizard.

Edit: Anyone else using a PS5 disk, it is slow as **** to install. an hour left to copy data. Needs 20gb's to start playing but stuck on 19.163 while the main data is very slowly still installing. Very strange.

• Advertisement

I couldn't get into this. Never warmed to the main character and rage quit after failing a boring tail mission too many times. Seriously, tail missions are never fun and should always be replaced by a cutscene.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1384902275597053955?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I couldn't get into this. Never warmed to the main character and rage quit after failing a boring tail mission too many times. Seriously, tail missions are never fun and should always be replaced by a cutscene.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1384902275597053955?s=19

I enjoyed it but the number of repetitive trailing missions was insane. There's a long trailing mission towards the very end that nearly made me drop it.

Always thought it was a bit weird that they decided to give Yakuza completely new JRPG combat but give their new IP the old Yakuza combat.

Also finished Yakuza 4 recently. Enjoyed the gameplay but the story was dreadful. So many double crosses they became meaningless and
    the police chief turning up after getting shot point blank in the head because it was a rubber bullet
    :confused:

Splashed out on this today, looking forward to unleashing the piss wizard.

Edit: Anyone else using a PS5 disk, it is slow as **** to install. an hour left to copy data. Needs 20gb's to start playing but stuck on 19.163 while the main data is very slowly still installing. Very strange.

Even though I missed out getting this cheaper on Adverts (I got it in Argos for 40), it's gone back up to 55 and 60 in gamestop so feel a but better about it now.

Barely played much, still in Chapter 1, Ichi is already more likable than the main guy from Judgement. Also, the pose he pulls just going into start menu is class. Really looking forward to getting stuck right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

In the first few hours of 6 and I'm mad that "Legend" mode isn't available from the start. Game's easy even on "hard". DMC has this same problem (although even worse). Just throw me into the hardest mode I ain't playing this twice. :mad:

Mid chapter 2 on LaD and I'm all in. Ichi is just class. Love how aggressive he is with everything he says, even when being nice and i constantly have a smile on my face with the humour, the localisation of top notch. It's the first Yakuza have where I'm tempted to change to English language just so i can listen to the story instead of reading it but the Japanese voice acting is just too good.

Still too early to give verdict on the combat as i have no party and 1 skill so just spamming that. Loving it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I must get back into like a dragon, the go karting mini game is fun.

Mid chapter 2 on LaD and I'm all in. Ichi is just class. Love how aggressive he is with everything he says, even when being nice and i constantly have a smile on my face with the humour, the localisation of top notch. It's the first Yakuza have where I'm tempted to change to English language just so i can listen to the story instead of reading it but the Japanese voice acting is just too good.

Still too early to give verdict on the combat as i have no party and 1 skill so just spamming that. Loving it though.

I actually started with Japanese but switched to English early on in the game and haven't went back. They nailed the English voice acting, suits Ichi so well IMO

I think I'm in chapter 4 and believe I've yet to commit a single crime.

Seems a sequel to Judgment is being announced on May 7th.

https://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/20210507/enus/

I was watching ad for Like a Dragon on PS4 (free upgrade to PS5) but the seller accepted an offer. Just got notification the offer was cancelled. Since i already bought it, posting it here as 30 euro including delivery is a great price.

https://touch.adverts.ie/playstation/yakuza-like-a-dragon-ps4-ps5-steelbook-edition/23567132

I switched to English language for most of chapter 3 but really wasn't feeling Ichi with it, switched back to Japanese for the end of the chapter and instantly more likable imo. Just starting chapter 4 where i believe the game starts opening up. I'm a bit of a hoarder in games so i get stingy on the mp but need to start using skills more, especially since there are very handy restore and save points.

Nanba is great, loving their team up already.

Ah lads, Poundmates! What an absolutely brilliant take on summons! Think I've most substories done in chapter 4, is there any way to keep track of them like in previous games?

Finished chapter 4 of LaD, all substories done except one which i started but nothing else popped up so I'm sure it will later. Such a great game and breath of fresh ear, has me smiling away while playing.

The trophy for clearing the chapter is called
    Soap on a rope
    , they're gas ***** all the same :pac:

Seems a sequel to Judgment is being announced on May 7th.

https://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/20210507/enus/

The announcement has leaked, sequel is called Lost Judgment in Japan, out in September.

Unknown what the international title will be.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-07-lost-judgment-leaks-on-playstation-store-ahead-of-official-reveal

I really want a PC version of the first Judgement.

• Advertisement

The announcement has leaked, sequel is called Lost Judgment in Japan, out in September.

Unknown what the international title will be.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-07-lost-judgment-leaks-on-playstation-store-ahead-of-official-reveal

Title is Lost Judgment everywhere and is being released globally in September on Xbox Series and PS4/5.

The main surprise is changing the series name in Japan to Judgment seeing as the first game was released as Judge Eyes in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Running through Yakuza 3 Remastered at the minute and not finding it awkward as I’d been led to believe. Sure, it’s stiff and block-spammy, and don’t get me started on the stunlocks, but give me that any day over Kiwami 2’s ragdolling - found it hard to maintain any sense of momentum in combat. That said, Yakuza 3’s difficulty spikes are obnoxious even by Yakuza standards.

Was really enjoying Like A Dragon but I'm at Chapter 12 now its gotten way too grindy for my liking. Huge difficulty spike and Im even having difficulty progressing in the arena. This is after spending hours in the business mini game to even get the required cash to progress the story in the last chapter. Pity cos I'll probably just end up dropping it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing and enjoying Like A Dragon at the moment, but I'm on PC and a performance issue is driving me mad. It plays perfectly most of the time, but exploring Yokohama there's constant stuttering and frame-timing problems that just make exploration feel really, really bad. It's technically running at 60FPS+, but the issue is infuriating and distracting.

I'm playing the GamePass version, which I thought might be responsible as sometimes games run a bit worse on the Xbox app. But a bit of Googling sees a fair few people with the same problem, including on Steam and from people with much more powerful rigs than mine. Such a shame, and really hope it's fixed - but this long after release, I wouldn't be too confident.

I'm getting a constant 60 FPS with no stuttering. Saying that my PC is pretty powerful but when I had the old 1070 rig I was getting a steady 30 fps without stuttering (the 1070 couldn't hit 60 fps at my monitors resolution). Any idea what causes it?

Edit: Quick google says there's a lot of HD Disk usage so moving to a SSD is recommended as it will cause stutter otherwise. I was running on a SSD on my old build and running of an extremely fast NVME on my current build.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Already on an SSD so definitely not that alas. Game runs a flawless high frame rate in battle, minigames and cutscenes, and even in the prologue open world. Lowered the rest from 1440p to 1080p and the issue persists. I’d almost be tempted to buy the PS5 version, but I’m at the point where I’m far enough in that I couldn’t be arsed playing through the whole thing again (although at least 50% of ‘play’ has been cutscenes 😏)

There are several threads about it on Reddit and Steam, but this suggests it’ could indeed be a GamePass version issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/yakuzagames/comments/o39v7n/pc_game_pass_yakuza_like_a_dragon_stuttering_when/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I'll check it myself when I get on it later, see if I'm seeing it as well. Could just be me not noticing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Loving Judgment at the moment, about half way through. I find the chase and tailing missions (which I know some don't like) actually add some nice variety into the other beat-em-up elements, moreso than the previous time I started a Yakuzza game (think it was 0 which I never went back to). Be tempted to pick up the next Judgment game in September if still enjoying it this much at the end

Have to say, i thought the new Judgment trailer looked class and has me wanting to play the first one again. Will get ps now again in a few weeks and give it a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I like the new trailer too although it seems like this will be the last judgment game due to image rights issues with the main character's actor: https://kotaku.com/report-judgment-series-is-ending-over-pc-version-disag-1847271300

I hope they start a new series to retain the old style yakuza combat. Also hoping that we'll get a ps4 version of the zombie spin off and the historical yakuza games that weren't localized.

Advertisement