Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Nonsense, the approach from Ireland has been to take as little risk as possible while the national debt slowly rises to €50k per person. Hospitalisations should be the metric and even at that we should have ramped up our facilities to cope with a potentially more serious outbreak. The 7-day average is 679. Today there is 80 people in hospital and 22 in ICU. The last time it was 679 was 27th February and there were 550 in hospital and 134 in ICU. Vaccinations are having an impact and the delta variant is proven to cause more cases but less hospitalisations.

The people wanting to perpetually lockdown the country should be forced to pay a tax to support it. There isn't a magic money tree and very soon vulnerable people will be at the back of the queue if we don't get back to 2019 levels of economic trading.

After Delta, there will be Echo or whatever. People need to grow up and those that want to lock themselves away perpetually are perfectly entitled to do so.

I'm starting to think there should be a binary referendum held in a few weeks as to whether we should re-open or remain closed.

Now that we have been through the worst of the pandemic with the majority of the most vulnerable protected, there is no reason for the State to continue to restrict our liberties to this extent -- and perhaps for much longer, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The fear mongering is that it's being reported in the same articles as ICU figures with zero context. There's no indication of how many of these vaccinated people were hospitalised (my guess would be zero). Nor is there any kind of basic competent reporting which would point out the very obvious facts you just have, and how this is totally expected.

Similarly, I've seen numerous reports in the last few days about how statistic x has hit the highest number since April/February/last blue moon

I saw zero such mentions a month or so ago when many such indicators had hit their lowest levels in over 6 months.

How is that not fear mongering?

GDP rising quicker.

We can afford it.

You or I wont be paying back that debt or your children.

National debt has been rising since foundation of state.

What is important is Debt to GDP ratio which is very healthy and means people still want to lend us money.

Its not cases on a particular day but the trajectory in last few weeks on island of ireland.

You cant be reopening in restaurants with 1000's of cases per day in a week.

Its a **** situation for government.

When NI and UK opened up restaurants cases were low.

I predict government/nphet will PAUSE reopening until delta wave is below 1 and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

She's an anti vaxxer with a number of videos arguing against all elements of public health restrictions during the pandemic. I find the harp on her desk a cute little touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Of course they will ( should ) pause reopening. It will take a brave man to do it though

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

To all saying Ireland is the only crazy country.

You won't be allowed in a shopping centre in France from August without either proof of vaccination or disease.

Seems extreme but I'm not an epidemiologist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Would you be surprised if this was introduced in Ireland within the next 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Actual proof needed of that please if you have it. Thanks. Many of the people who dislike this bill that are pro vaccine and already have both vaccines ...the distain for this bill is not restricted to one side or the other.

She is discussing the legal points which she is qualified to do. What are the legal points of the bill she discusses that you disagree with? I have stated she is 'fairly fair' and has some good points ...which of them do you disregard and what do you think is right with the bill ? Some are mentioned by posters above if you have not yet read the bill or watched her entire video.

Always it is the message not the messenger one should attentively listen to, before discarding too quickly the points completely or partially.

There has been too much of not listening to the 'other' camp just because they have a differening view during the past year and a half and the middle ground has been silently squezzed.

Before the great financial crash our entire national debt was €38 billion. We've just spent that in 1.5 years with covid19. We've the third highest debt per capita in the world after Japan/ US.

There's very little room to borrow more. We can't afford relentless borrowing like this if we want to be in a position to weather the next storm, a storm which could be a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Neither is Macron an epidemiologist. He said that AZ was only quassi effective in older people and now he is forcing people to take it or they cannot get on a bus. Others followed on mass and look where they are going to be in 6 weeks.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Reckon Macron is due another slap in the face, coming out with this nonsense

Debt/GDP Ratio is what is important.

If our countries GDP had not grown massively since then nobody would have lent us money.

Politicians dont worroy about debt.

They worry about will people keep lending to us becuase if they wont the IMF will have to come in.

This debt is not likely we have to pay it back over a certain time.

It is debt based on value of mortage.

Our credit is good.

A few restaurants opened or closed for table service is not going to affect our GDP or lenders willingness to lend to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

To those of you interested I forgot to add regarding the Irish Harp. Music ...all three strains and satire and harpists/bards were held in high esteem here until others tried to ban Irish traditions and silence the harpists. They also represent the concept that all should be able to talk equally and not be silenced but listened too.

Which we should have been doing all during this last year before making decisions that may effect generations to come aswell as the here and now and not foregoing proper debate whether that is here, in our homes, neighbourhoods, media and especially the Dáil.

A lot of the bickering on here reminds me at times of the contentious debate over whether the strings of the official harp of Ireland should be vertical or at an angle.😆

I like Tim Spector of the Zoe app a very intelligent man with a calming influence even in a rough sea when missing an oar and yet he still steadily steers for the shore by following the science data even of it goes against the UKs equivalent to Nphet. I wish we had the likes of his leadership here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Was by the Phoenix Park earlier, you could smell the stupidity gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This seems mental. We are at herd immunity for those at the most serious risk from covid (over 50s) because of vaccinations. The rest of the adults will be substantially vaccinated in the next few weeks. Why would we introduce restrictions for the flu season?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Partial herd immunity? 😂

Not convinced you're fully grasping the concept.

• Advertisement

What if industry contracts in Ireland? What will happen to the ratio then?

Who will lend to us in the next recession?

We are okay now and probably for the next six months but after that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Because we locked down for so much of last year that we now have hospitals full of people catching up on their health issues of the last 16 months.Meaning we may need a lockdown to help hospitals to deal with the effects of the last lockdown plus covid....do you see the cycle we are getting into??Can't make this sh*t up....

Seems like some are "making this sh*t up". Because no one apart from the denizens of this thread and mentioning another lockdown it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We're in dire financial straits. You think Martin or Varadkar Will care? They just want nice EU/NGO type jobs in a few years. These are the same people who handed the EU 16bn last year to bail out the Mediterranean tourist industry even though we were screwed ourselves.

The debt is for the next crowd to deal with, which will probably be SF.

They'll have absolutely no bother in locking us down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

France has a hesitancy issue and this is one way, a bit draconian maybe, to address it. In that respect it's great to see so many sign up as a result. We'll be above 80% fully vaccinated in 2 months so it should never be required,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aren't France still allowing for people who test negative. They're not doing the vaccinated or not thing we're going with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

100% going to be extended. A time limit that can be extended is no time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Proof...that she's anti vaxx and anti restrictions? Just check out her other youtube videos. You can just read the titles if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not in the least.By no means am I advocating another lockdown.Aside from anything else it would be an extremely hard sell...if I'm vaccinated and you're vaccinated, then why shouldn't we meet up in each other's houses?Government would find it very, very hard to defend that decision. The "sh*t" I am mainly referring to is the corner that we have backed ourselves into by using extended lockdowns -or shutdowns, if you will -as pretty much the only tool to deal with this.

Advertisement