Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo s60

• 15-07-2021 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and lassies

After much discussion and teeth gnashing it looks like my 2008 7th generation Honda Accord is going to go. The better half had her mind set on a Korean SUV but I have managed to convince her that she is still too young to be going down that route. She is onside with another saloon and both of us love the styling of the S60. We are going diesel as we do about 40k km per year. We are not hung up on year once the car is fairly low mileage. We have a budget of 10-12k but can stretch a little for the right car.

What are the S60 like in general terms of reliability? I know they have a Peugeot engine from 2013 on but that is not a major stumbling block as I see these engines in vans locally here doing stupid miles. I am aware that they can need injectors periodically but are easily changed and a good indy will do new ones for 400 each and they rarely fail at the same time.

I am also aware that these are pretty much a mondeo in a different skin and I hear good reports from mondeo owners.

I am aware that replacing the reliability of the Honda will be near on impossible but are the S60 a good bet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only the 1.6d was a Peugeot/Citroen engine in the S60 and that disappeared around 2013 and was badged as DRIV-e I think. The early 2.0d 4 cylinder engine would have been a Volvo engine badged as D2, there was also a rare 2.4d badged as D5. Then they introduced a smaller capacity 2.0d 5 cylinder unit derived from the 2.4 and badged them as D3 and D4 for a while but all these were replaced by newer lower emissions 2.0d 4 cylinder engines in different states of tune all badged as D2, D3 and D4 from around 2015. The pick of the bunch would be the 2.0d 5 cylinder D3 or D4 pre 2015 and best avoid the 1.6d altogether.

They are a fairly reliable car and are well screwed together but like most cars they are not without their issues. Volvo parts can be expensive especially if they can only be sourced from a main dealer. Same goes with servicing, best avoid main dealers if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Any other suggestions as to a replacement bazz? Sounds like a minefield trying to find a 5 cylinder in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you can find one of the newer 2.0d 4 cylinder S60s within budget then they are perfectly fine too, plenty of torque but just don't sound as nice as the 5 cylinder. Alternatives would be something like a 3 Series, C Class or A4 in the premium class. Non premium class then look at the Passat/Superb or Mondeo.

BTW the second gen S60 has no connection to the Mondeo other than the 1.6d engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thanks for the info bazz. I will keep an eye out for one so. I am in no mad hurry but will buy as soon as I see the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

Nice car, especially an R Design spec, I'd also recommend an A4/A5 if you can find one you'd like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement