Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,080 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Up the air about my vaccine

Have First dose appointment for Saturday morning but I would rather wait for J&J one dose through a pharmacy

Not sure what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

J&J could be another two weeks or more, at which point you'll be two weeks from the 2nd dose. J&J is 2 weeks to full vaccination and mRNA just 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Take the first one your offered. Why wait ? You could be waiting much longer for J&J whereas you'd already then have protection from Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Depends on whether you're planning to travel abroad. Italy and Spain, for example, consider you fully vaccinated 2 weeks after the second dose of an MRNA product. You would still need a negative covid test to travel there before that point.

I registered 2 minutes after the news on 25-34 year olds being eligible for pharmacy vaccination broke and only got an appointment 12 days later. I wouldn't hold out much hope of a pharmacy vaccination if you registered long after that. The best vaccine is the soonest available vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

???? I had my second dose at UCD on Monday at 5pm and was in and out in 30 minutes without any problems at all. Very well organized, as good as if not better than the Aviva where I had my first dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

Why would you wait? Two doses will give you better protection than one. So you're doubly better off this way (first jab sooner followed by booster to give you extra immunity).

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

Once you are registered it seems to be really random as to when you get assigned. I'd love if someone in the HSE would tell us how the algorithm worked once this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah I agree, first shot is the best one. Just outlining the logic of the thought process to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Was jabbed around 1700 a few weeks back, in and out in under 30 minutes. Very efficient and it was clear that only half the booths were running so plenty more capacity.

Free car parking on site, lots of spaces available

Overall really smooth and efficient, you don't expect this really

• Registered Users Posts: 38,080 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

More or so would rather the J&J because its one dose and done. Comes with a lot of importance particuly the covid cert for pubs etc

ill decide tomorrow

• Advertisement

That doesn't make any sense, your wait time for J&J would plus 2 weeks from the day you get it would probably already see you vaccinated with Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No Pfizer is 2 shots 4 weeks apart plus I think 1 or 2 weeks to be vaccinated so that's 2 weeks compared to 5 to 6 weeks

I know how long the Pfizer gap is, regardless, the person doesn't know how long the wait for J&J is. Point being you could have some protection v no protection quicker and still be fully vaccinated in the same period

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Are you able to ring up and request a time? I've rescheduled twice now.

I've been given two appointments and both have been for about 9-9.30 am

I'm working nights at the moment and when I get home there's no hope of me sitting around for 2 hours waiting to head out to the center as I just KO straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I hope no one going to a pharmacy has to wait 6 weeks. But I say if you can book for both I would but cancel the other ASP when you get the other appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Has anyone else been given an appointment for a peculiar choice of vaccination centre? I was given my appointment this morning for the Shoreline Centre in Greystones, which I find a little odd since I live in Dun Laoghaire and would have assumed one of the nearer ones would be the obvious choice.

While I don't mind making the journey to Greystones, what annoys me is that my appointment was also rescheduled for seemingly no reason - the text message I got told me 11AM on Monday, but I received another text about an hour later saying "sorry for the inconvenience, but we had to cancel your appointment - you will receive a rescheduled appointment within the next week". Easy come easy go, I guess! But upon logging in to the vaccine portal, it now lists my appointment for 9:20AM in the same centre on Tuesday morning, which is a bit of a pain as DARTs to Greystones are quite thin on the ground at that time and I'll probably have to leave ridiculously early for it.

Not a big deal, but very confused about (a) the choice of vaccination centre, and (b) the cancellation and rescheduling of my appointment within an hour of receiving it, without explanation.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

The Aviva, UCD & Greystones all cover the same public health area.

It's all about which one has capacity on given days, people have greystones have got the aviva as well. It's just how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Was there at 3pm today & I was vaxxed within 5 or 6 mins of arriving, all really efficient & lots of parking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Me & my wife got our texts today

Both aged 34

Registered 7th July

Text 15 July

Appointment 21st July

National show center (near Dublin airport, used to be a testing center)

Pfizer vaccine

Can't wait to be stuck full of needles :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

Over 48 hours since my 2nd jab (Pfizer), and I haven't really had any side effects, other than a sore arm. I did have some after the first, so pretty surprised by this.

National Show Centre was surprisingly efficient, 30 minutes in and out (including the 15-minute sitdown). They've got 50 booths so it's a fairly big operation. The only problem is traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If the Romanian jabs don't arrive soon that's the biggest own goal so far for a govt that has a penchant for scoring own goals. Especially as Denmark got them quite seamlessly. Shouldn't have leaked it to the press if it wasn't a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Fair! I just assumed that they'd prioritise each one for same-county patients, but then again Greystones is more or less treated as an annexation from Wicklow by Dublin these days :D

Does the random cancellation almost immediately after receiving the appointment strike anyone as odd or has this happened to others as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I was there maybe three weeks ago, bringing my elderly parent. Terrible experience, nothing like the citywest mvc which was very efficient. I guess like everything they have good days and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Got my first Jab about 4 weeks ago the Pfizer one. Was due to get the second one yesterday, but haven’t had a text or a appointment for the second one. Rang the HSE and they said if I haven’t got a appointment by Sunday to call them.

Has anyone else been left waiting for the second Jab for the Pfizer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,225 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The second jab timing is area and MVC dependent. Some people have been up to 5 weeks on here, and there's been people under 4 also (3 is allowed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Thanks for that. Good to know. I’m in the south east so could be that. But good to know .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Did they have a slide with the breakdown of vaccines by age today? They usually have one at the briefings that ignores the cohorts and does every age bracket with %full vaccinated & % half vaccinated.

Haven't seen any from today yet and I always like that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

George Lee had said there would be major disappointment if the Romanian vaccines weren't here by tomorrow. I'm surprised there hasn't been more questions about them by journos.

Last bit I've seen on them

https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1414553089542086658

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Good to know I wasn't the only one. I got Greystones too even though I live in Dublin 6. A pain to get there but I'd rather that pain than wait a few more weeks for an appointment in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My brother got an appointment in greystones too. He lives in Crumlin ffs.

Advertisement