Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a ride on mower

Options
  • 06-07-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

My current mower is starting to fail a bit, it's 20 years old so can't complain, I have no idea what is considered a good or bad mower now so need recommendations.

Looking to get a bagged ride on, budget is 5k. I have to cut a couple of places and there is probably the guts of an acre between them, sometimes the grass can get long so something that wouldn't get clogged easy would be a plus. I would service it and change belts myself so anything that is easy enough to maintain would be another plus.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

I have a Castlegarden 220 which is very good and powerful, never skips a beat. I have changed belts etc.... which was easy enough. Have you considered getting a Robot mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly the important points in buying equipment like that is the engine.

If you buy Briggs & Stratton or a Honda powered unit you can’t go far wrong.

After that I’d be thinking of mulching capability, hydrostatic drive.

if your mowing in a number of places a robot won’t be suitable for it all. You could consider it for some and perhaps that would allow a smaller mower be purchased.

castlegarden are a fine make, my ride on is castlegarden with a B&S engine and over 20+ years it’s been fantastic. Original deck, original battery and I’ve changed two belts and a pulley in that time. I service myself, mower has never been away for a repair since purchasing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Any harm to ask how much it cost new

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

A lot of the used machines have Kohler engines? Any good?

Anyone recommend a used Husqvarna or Jonsered ride on mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Castelgarden XDC150HD (stiga engine) cost me €2500 back in April. Price has gone up recently due to extra shipping costs. I think the 140 has the B&S engine. Ideal for anything up to a half acre.

Stiga Estate would be comparable, all are in and around the €3000.

For the acre and more though the Castelgarden XX220HD comes in just under the €5000. Kawasaki twin cylinder 600CC engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

0.75 acres here and have recently purchased a Castelgarden XDC180HD. It cost about 2900euro before trade-in of old mower. Very happy with it so far. We had another smaller Castelgarden for 13 years before this - no issues with it which is why we went for same brand again.

Castelgarden is just one brand manaufactured by Stiga group - so if you see a Stiga, Alpina, Castelgarden, Mountfield or Atco with same spec it is likely the same mower with a different colour or different shaped bonnet on it.

All the mowers below appear to be the same with just different colours - warranty, price and supplied accessories (mulcher, trailer hitch, charger etc) may vary depending on where you price them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Kawasaki engines are also excellent.

The engine will, most likely, be the last part to fail.

If the area is suitable, I would seriously consider a robot - similar money, but it does all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

We have a Husqvarana CTH ride on we bought new in 2017. Can honestly say it has never missed a beat apart from one slow puncture and a flat battery. Ours has the Kohler engine which seems to be bullet proof. Everything is still original including the deck, just 1 replacement drive belt and 2 replacement blade belts. Blade belts easy to do, drive belt is a bit of a pain, but easily done in 30 minutes.

I service it every year, always keep it inside and never leave it out in the rain, so no rust etc on it. We also bought a trailer for it at the time which is really useful for hauling stuff around the place. I was thinking or changing, but hard to justify the cost of upgrading when there is nothing wrong with it.

Advertisement