Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro Computer Haul and Restoration

Options
  • 05-07-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

So I recently purchased a bundle of computers all untested, stored since the mid 90's in a tiny attic in Dublin.

After a bit of back and forth negotiating the price on the lot we managed to come to a price that suited us both.

In the add it showed a bunch of boxed systems, " Sinclair QL, Zx Spectrum, Philips MSX, Oric Atmos, Lynx Home Computer, Atari 800XL, Amstrad 6128plus, Aquarius, Commodore Vic20, Commodore 64, Original Gameboy x2, Super Nintendo".

Loose systems are, "Oric-1 x2, Oric Atmos x2, Amiga 500, Amstrad CPC 6128, NES x6, Sharp MZ 80B, Sharp MZ700, Commodore 128, Commodore 64, Commodore 64 GS, Commodore Vic20, Commodore 16 x2, Commodore Plus/4, TI-99/4A, Sord M5, CGL M5, Atari 2600 x2, Atari 7800, Master System, Spectrum +2, Intellivision, Atari 800xl, Sony HitBit, Atari Woody x2, Atari Vader, Apple IIe, Interton VC 4000, Gameboy Colour, Zx Spectrum, Telesport SD050c, Academy D-5614, Acorn BBC, Atari 520 St, Atari 1040 ST, Philips G7000, Dragon 32.

Some of those loose computers have multiples, just not sure which until I collect the rest of it.

Also a couple hundred games/software spanning most of those computers and a good few boxes of peripherals and cables, psu's etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

My plans are to one at a time to clean and refurbish all of the computers, keep the ones I want and sell/trade the rest for other items I want.

At the moment I am just storing them and sourcing parts(cap kits, new membranes, bands for tape players, rubber feet etc), I will be recapping all systems, performing av mods where possible, reflowing solder especially around I/O points.

I will be taking pictures along the way of the process and if I can find a cheap rig I may record it aswell, just to document what I am doing and also to use it as a reference when looking for guidance from people more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this sort of thing (which is more than likely everyone on this board :D )

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will be trying to make updates on this thread every Sunday (as/when work/personal time allows) so keep an eye out for more updates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dang, some lovely things in there.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any idea how they all ended up there? Old shop stock? Collector? Amazing amount of gear to get out of one attic - best of luck with the restorations!

Apparently himself and his brother collected them from car boots in England in early 90's and brought them all back to Dublin and stored them in their parents attic until recently.

He is still finding things and adding them to the bundle, he found a Memotech MTX512 with powers supply and another boxed 800xl. It just keeps getting better :D.

Will be grabbing all that is left hopefully this Saturday I will be updating with pictures asap.

My 1st restoration plans will be on the Commodore 64GS, I have on the way a new RCA cable, PSU over voltage saver as not to sure on the old psu (will probably buy a new one), LumaFix64 just in case its needed, also a diagnostic cart, Will recap this and the two joysticks also and any other little bits that need to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And now I want a Vic20...
    Bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Came here for retro pics...

any photos yet? :)

Will repost some pics now, collecting the rest of the bundle soon so you will be inundated with pics then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

QLs and Spectrums can leach bad vibes into the rest, so just to be safe, maybe best to just give them to me. :pac:

Good luck with them all, looking forward to seeing the pictures and progress.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

@mrcheez Most of the haul so far.

ZE21hmhm.jpg

vI8ooVQm.jpg

KL7TKIFm.jpg

QExpiUpm.jpg

fTlJgWOm.jpg

ykEoGjmm.jpg

4d5fUumm.jpg

rBzO8oYm.jpg

bC305bwm.jpg

MyMLYNym.jpg

• Advertisement

NC6kEDpm.jpg

0gZ8EbGm.jpg

LduFpr2m.jpg

Wp0MmvHm.jpg

EgSPWENm.jpg

ffpG74Zm.jpg

PVo0gulm.jpg

GbgMplfm.jpg

9aECEFkm.jpg

Is there a better image hosting site than imgur, I find it impossible to upload more than 4 image at a time. Frustrating as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You can just upload straight to boards with the new update - one of the only improvements!

Oh grand :D ty

More of the haul, for some reason there was 10 800XL's all together :D

Double posted same images.

Post edited by Burzum on

• Advertisement

And lastly this beauty.

All in all 130ish individual computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wow nice haul! What was the reason the guy you bought them from had so many items?

Love the Tomytronic 3D ... I completely forgot about those!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭Tow

The two Oric-1's with the black and white Oric logos are the black and white version. On the bottom should be sticks saying if they are 16K or 48K.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's an Amiga 500 Plus there. They had an onboard battery which was prone to leaking and corroding the boards. It may be gone already, but if it'll be some time before that one gets looked at, it might be beneficial to remove it now, if someone hasn't already seen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yeah had a Tomytronic 3D myself, the red one.

That's some haul. Worryingly I remember using, quite a few of these, in school, or at friends houses though I never personally owned any of these.

Will get to those this weekend and remove the batteries as you say, hopefully they have not leaked.

There is a second one there 3d Shark Attack I think, sadly if I try use them I get a terrible headache after a minute or two.

The black labeled is the 16k and the coloured label is 48k

• Advertisement

Apparently the person I got them from, him and his brother picked them up at carboot sales in the UK in the early 90's, I am not sure if they actually used any of them, it was more a case of I couldnt afford them when I was younger so now I will buy them all since I can :)

Advertisement